PDA

View Full Version : Problems with latest update

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 02:26
Just finished the update, and went into our 2e campaign. Nobody can target PCs or NPCs in the combat tracker or on the maps.

No extensions running. Just FGU and the AD&D 2e ruleset.

DCrumb
February 17th, 2021, 02:37
Have you tried removing all of the tokens from the CT and the map and then adding them back to the CT and then from the CT to the map?

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 02:42
Yup, still had the same problem.

Grommit57
February 17th, 2021, 03:19
Just loaded up my ToEE campaign and can't duplicate your problem. Any more info? error messages or anything?

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2021, 03:22
Try disabling all your extensions; and reloading the campaign. It is most likely an extension issue; since there was a big ruleset update today.

Regards,
JPG

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 03:37
I had no extensions loaded. Reloaded the campaign 3 or 4 times, and we still couldn't get the CT to work.

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 03:45
I didn't have any error messages on my side. One of my players said that he kept getting an "Inactive player" message when he would try to target anything.

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2021, 03:45
Can you post the GM and player logs after each person tries to attack?

You can each grab the logs by opening the console (type "/console" in chat box); then pressing the Compile Logs button.

Regards,
JPG

icecrmman
February 17th, 2021, 04:12
The error is in the chat box only doesn't show in the console the error is ... [ERROR] Active PC not listed in combat tracker.

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 04:24
Can you post the GM and player logs after each person tries to attack?

You can each grab the logs by opening the console (type "/console" in chat box); then pressing the Compile Logs button.

Regards,
JPG

What he said. There's no error log compiling. Just an error in chat, and an inability to target.

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 14:59
Just loaded up my ToEE campaign and can't duplicate your problem. Any more info? error messages or anything?

If you don't have a player handy to help test it then try this. Load up a 2e campaign. Start a 2nd instance and join it as a player. On the DM side, start up an encounter. Go to the player instance and try to target an NPC. We can't target in the CT or with the map buttons. The DM can target for everyone, but even then the players couldn't perform any actions against their targets.

This is all done on store purchased 2e modules/ruleset with no extensions loaded. We tried it with players using my campaign. We tried it on campaigns my players are running. We tried clearing the CT and maps, and repopulating the encounter. We tried rebuilding encounters. Nothing worked.

DCrumb
February 17th, 2021, 15:16
You said in that there was a message in chat saying "[ERROR] Active PC not listed in combat tracker", have you tried clearing the players ownership of a character and then having them reclaim the character?

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 15:31
Yup. I even went so far as to do a fresh install while my player was loading up his campaign for testing.

Trenloe
February 17th, 2021, 15:42
As this appears to be related to the 2E ruleset I've moved this to the D&D Classic sub-forum so this can get visibility.

superteddy57
February 17th, 2021, 18:26
I'm having difficulty replicating the issue. Can you setup a new test campaign and see if you can replicate it there as well?

Sterno
February 17th, 2021, 19:24
I am able to reproduce this. For the others of you trying and saying you can't, this only happens when you're logged in as a player, not as a GM.

Looking at the code, I suspect this is because 2E uses a heavily modified combat tracker, and this check is being done in the CoreRPG code. I know Celestian is still without power and can't look at this right now, but I'll see if I can create an extension to fix it in the meantime.

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2021, 19:25
If you can identify the fix, we can inject directly into 2E, and let Celestian know.

Regards,
JPG

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 19:38
I tried to add even more rep to you Sterno, but it says I gotta spread the love around.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

Sterno
February 17th, 2021, 19:50
I tried to add even more rep to you Sterno, but it says I gotta spread the love around.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

Well, can't promise a fix yet anyway! I can tell that when it's a player logged in, getCombatantNodes() is returning an empty list, but I'm still working on figuring out why!

Edit: I've somehow fixed it (or rather, it's working for a player now) by adding debug statements to see what's happening, but not actually changing any code. Very confused. Hopefully a solution soon though.

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 20:09
Well, can't promise a fix yet anyway! I can tell that when it's a player logged in, getCombatantNodes() is returning an empty list, but I'm still working on figuring out why!

No worries here. Our 2e game is done for the week, but I'm sure others are gonna have the same issue. I'm just glad someone was able to duplicate it besides my players.

One of my players did say he was getting something similar in the 5e CT this afternoon, but it wouldn't pull up an error log there either.

Sterno
February 17th, 2021, 20:22
No worries here. Our 2e game is done for the week, but I'm sure others are gonna have the same issue. I'm just glad someone was able to duplicate it besides my players.

One of my players did say he was getting something similar in the 5e CT this afternoon, but it wouldn't pull up an error log there either.

It's an expected message that players should see if they try to target something when they don't have an active character, so that's not necessarily an indication of a problem.

Sterno
February 17th, 2021, 20:34
If you can identify the fix, we can inject directly into 2E, and let Celestian know.

Regards,
JPG

Edit: Deleted previous solution. Celestian was able to get into Discord and said to do this instead in manager_combat_adnd.lua:

function getCombatantNodes_adnd()
local aCTUnfilteredEntries = DB.getChildren("combattracker.list");
aCTFilteredEntries = {};
for _,node in pairs(aCTUnfilteredEntries) do
local bCTVisible = (DB.getValue(node,"ct.visible",1) == 1);
if bCTVisible then
table.insert(aCTFilteredEntries,node);
end
end
return aCTFilteredEntries;
end

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2021, 22:27
Celestian's patch was pushed to Live as a hot fix.

Regards,
JPG

Grommit57
February 17th, 2021, 22:43
Still can't see any npc's when logged in as player on second instance. I've checked my options multiple times to make sure everything is visible. Anybody else tested this yet since patch?

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 22:53
Celestian's patch was pushed to Live as a hot fix.

Thanks! Just checked it out and it seems to be working like normal.

Grommit57
February 17th, 2021, 22:55
will double check settings
again...

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 22:56
Still can't see any npc's when logged in as player on second instance. I've checked my options multiple times to make sure everything is visible. Anybody else tested this yet since patch?

Just checked it. They showed up in the CT and on the map for both my DM and player instances.

gbhenderson
February 17th, 2021, 23:00
will double check settings
again...

I was having visibility issues on the CT before the hot fix. NPCs that were set to visible were still hidden on the PC instance. I'd just double click the little hide button at the top of the CT to get them to show.

JohnD
February 18th, 2021, 02:24
Installed the hotfix. Made an attack got the following (no attack result entered into chat either).

If I don't target something in the CT, I don't get the error until the roll gets dragged to the entity in the CT.

Sterno
February 18th, 2021, 03:03
That's not the ruleset's fault. That's my extension not working with the new 2E and CoreRPG code. I posted yesterday letting people know it was broken until I have time to go through everything and update it. Unload my extension for now. I should have it updated by Sunday.

Trenloe
February 18th, 2021, 09:41
Installed the hotfix. Made an attack got the following (no attack result entered into chat either).

If I don't target something in the CT, I don't get the error until the roll gets dragged to the entity in the CT.
As mentioned in the release thread - if you get script errors please disable extensions first and see if the error exists without *any* extensions.

gbhenderson
February 19th, 2021, 20:47
nevermind, figured it out

Sorry

celestian
February 19th, 2021, 21:04
Looks like combat is busted in 2e again.

Not running any extensions.

PCs can target NPCs, but attack rolls and damage rolls do nothing. No results in chat or CT.

And vice versa. NPCs can target PCs, but attack rolls and damage rolls do nothing. No results in chat or CT.

No error messages pop up in chat at all. No error log window pops up.

I was not able to reproduce this.

I started a new campaign with latest rev, added pc and several npcs. Initiated encounter with pc having initiative. PC could target all npcs. Selected npcs took damage when rolling from PC sheet and from DM ct. Also drag/drop worked for hit and damage.

NPCs functioned similarly.

I have noticed there is an issue with AC. JPG emailed me yesterday related to some of the 2021-02 changes that might cause problems. I'll dig into that. For now you need to validate the AC they PC actually hit.

gbhenderson
February 19th, 2021, 21:39
Sorry Celestian, was hoping I got that edit in fast enough to save your time. It was an operator head space issue.

I was doing some parsing to check skills for my players before our next session. I didn't notice any issue with AC in combat at all. The THAC0s vs AC numbers were all coming up correct. Can't speak for the AC calculations though.

hammer58
March 3rd, 2021, 07:17
I am having the same issue.

Never had this happen before.

Started after the last months updates to fantasy grounds unity.

[ERROR] Unable to target token not linked to combat tracker entry.

Odd thing is it only occurs when I use a pre loaded encouter.
And the error only effects the GM controlled NPC's.
The players can target the NPC's with no issues.

This error does not happen if I drop the npc's in from the monster manual.
But if I use a pre loaded encounter then every time this error reoccurs.
It is reproducible from any pre loaded encounter I have tried. And I tried 12 different encounters.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2021, 07:59
Moved to the Classic D&D sub-forum thread discussing this issue.

There was a hotfix for this - have you ran an update to get the most recent release?

hammer58
March 3rd, 2021, 13:48
Moved to the Classic D&D sub-forum thread discussing this issue.

There was a hotfix for this - have you ran an update to get the most recent release?

Yes Everyone in our group just downloaded the most recent updates before we started our gaming session.

Your hotfix did not work for us.

I am running some extensions.

coreRPG map unit settings extension

universal module extension

We can not unload the universal module extension as that makes our game unplayable.
We are running a 2e module in 5e game.
That is the reason why I bought fantasy grounds.
Fantasy grounds is useless for me if I can not do this with the program.

I want to add everything was working just fine last month with our game settings.
Is there a way to roll back all of our fantasy grounds to a previous working version?

AlterZwerg
March 3rd, 2021, 16:25
Yes Everyone in our group just downloaded the most recent updates before we started our gaming session.

Your hotfix did not work for us.

I am running some extensions.

coreRPG map unit settings extension

universal module extension

We can not unload the universal module extension as that makes our game unplayable.
That is the reason why I bought fantasy grounds.
Fantasy grounds is useless for me if I can not do this with the program.

I want to add everything was working just fine last month with our game settings.
Is there a way to roll back all of our fantasy grounds to a previous working version?

So your problem is in 5e, not 2e.
Which module are you running?
Try disabling the map extension (i don't know this one). It'possible to cause issues if it hasn't been updated yet.
You can't roll back to an earlier version of FG and Extensions are known to cause issues after updates to FG until someone updates them.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2021, 16:28

Odd thing is it only occurs when I use a pre loaded encouter.

This error does not happen if I drop the npc's in from the monster manual.
But if I use a pre loaded encounter then every time this error reoccurs.
It is reproducible from any pre loaded encounter I have tried. And I tried 12 different encounters.

So, to confirm - this error occurs when you load a pre-built encounter from a 2e module running within a 5e campaign?

hammer58
March 3rd, 2021, 17:03
So, to confirm - this error occurs when you load a pre-built encounter from a 2e module running within a 5e campaign?

Yes,

To be exactly accurate, We are playing the Temple of elemental evil.
We are playing it in 5e rule set.
I converted all the encounters in the 2e module and the treasure encounters to 5e format.
Then I stored all of it for use in our play through.
I did the conversion maybe 9 months ago.
All has been working fine until this last update.

Now when ever I use one of the pre loaded encounters I modified 9 months ago, those encounters will load in the correct monsters into the combat tracker and they are true
5e counterparts from the 5e monster manual that i used for this modification, but none of them can target any of the players in the combat tracker I get the error I reported in my earlier post.
The players however can use the combat tracker and can target the monster npc's.

If I go back again to the monster manual and repull those same monsters and put them into the combat tracker then it works fine.
What ever is doing this is associated with the pre loaded encounters stored in the 2e module which I modified to 5e monsters 9 months ago.
That was a lot of work by the way which I do not want to see being a wasted effort on my part.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2021, 17:07
Now when ever I use one of the pre loaded encounters I modified 9 months ago, those encounters will load in the correct monsters into the combat tracker and they are true
5e counterparts from the 5e monster manual that i used for this modification, but none of them can target any of the players in the combat tracker I get the error I reported in my earlier post.
The players however can use the combat tracker and can target the monster npc's.
Does an unmodified 5e encounter from a 5e product do the same?

Exactly how did you convert the 2e encounter to 5e? What steps did you take?

hammer58
March 3rd, 2021, 17:45
Does an unmodified 5e encounter from a 5e product do the same?

Exactly how did you convert the 2e encounter to 5e? What steps did you take?

Well I can not answer that first question.
I do not own any 5e modules for fantasy grounds.

As to how did I convert them?
I loaded the module temple of elemental evil.
I opened each encounter, one at a time, I used the auto load feature of each encounter to see the placement of the monsters.
Then I deleted the 2e monsters from the encounter and pulled the equivalent 5E replacement monster and placed the new monster in the same placements as where the original 2e placed them then closed the encounter.
As i did this it did populate the combat tracker each time with the 2e monster. So I had to clear the combat tracker also each time I modified each and every encounter.

All of this had been working over the last 9 months we have been playing just fine until yesterday when the most recent patch broke our game.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2021, 17:52
Well I can not answer that first question.
I do not own any 5e modules for fantasy grounds.

As to how did I convert them?
I loaded the module temple of elemental evil.
I opened each encounter, one at a time, I used the auto load feature of each encounter to see the placement of the monsters.
Then I deleted the 2e monsters from the encounter and pulled the equivalent 5E replacement monster and placed the new monster in the same placements as where the original 2e placed them then closed the encounter.

All of this had been working over the last 9 months we have been playing just fine until yesterday when the most recent patch broke our game.
Please provide the whole GM logs when this issue occurs. Type /console in the chat window to open the console, then click "Compile Logs". Post the resulting ZIP file here.

And, when exactly does the message appear in chat? Are you drag/dropping a roll (attack? damage?) or are you using the combat tracker targeting?

hammer58
March 3rd, 2021, 18:08
Please provide the whole GM logs when this issue occurs. Type /console in the chat window to open the console, then click "Compile Logs". Post the resulting ZIP file here.

And, when exactly does the message appear in chat? Are you drag/dropping a roll (attack? damage?) or are you using the combat tracker targeting?

I do not have the time to do that zip file right now. I will get back to that in a few hours.

I tried every method to target and none worked. I tried dropping the attack role on a player token and that would get the error message. I tried to target the player token using the target function inside the combat tracker and you have to drag the target icon from the combat tracker over the player token and drop it on the token and again the same error message popped up. I tried control left click on the player token and the line would draw on the screen to the target and give me range to target which was accurate by the way as our scale is 3.3 feet to a square, but again the error message would pop up in the chat window.

The zip file will be a while.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2021, 18:23
I tried every method to target and none worked. I tried dropping the attack role on a player token and that would get the error message. I tried to target the player token using the target function inside the combat tracker and you have to drag the target icon from the combat tracker over the player token and drop it on the token and again the same error message popped up. I tried control left click on the player token and the line would draw on the screen to the target and give me range to target which was accurate by the way as our scale is 3.3 feet to a square, but again the error message would pop up in the chat window.
Sounds like the player tokens on the map have lost their association with the combat tracker. However, this would result in the message for any attack, not just the encounters you'd edited - I think that might just be a red herring.

Remove any PC tokens that have this issue from the map and then re-add them by drag/dropping from the combat tracker. Unfortunately this will reset the LoS for those tokens, but it should recreate the link from the token to the combat tracker and fix the issue.

hammer58
March 3rd, 2021, 19:07
Sounds like the player tokens on the map have lost their association with the combat tracker. However, this would result in the message for any attack, not just the encounters you'd edited - I think that might just be a red herring.

Remove any PC tokens that have this issue from the map and then re-add them by drag/dropping from the combat tracker. Unfortunately this will reset the LoS for those tokens, but it should recreate the link from the token to the combat tracker and fix the issue.

That was what I thought so I tried that and it did not work. Also it does not explain why when I deleted the monsters from the pre loaded encounter and replaced them with identical monsters from the 5e monster manual then those new monsters could target the player tokens. I did not do anything to the player tokens just replaced the monster tokens and it fixed the issue. We thought maybe we fixed the issue went to the next encounter and same thing happened. That time all I did was to delete the monsters and replace them with new ones and it worked. Then the next encounter it happened again. Then I stopped doing all that work and just rolled manually and manually tallied up damage. We played out the rest of the night that way using the map function only from fantasy grounds. 12 encounters all failed.
In essence Fantasy grounds just became a movable map holder for our game and we went to old style pen and paper for everything else.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2021, 19:10
That was what I thought so I tried that and it did not work. Also it does not explain why when I deleted the monsters from the pre loaded encounter and replaced them with identical monsters from the 5e monster manual then those new monsters could target the player tokens. I did not do anything to the player tokens just replaced the monster tokens and it fixed the issue. We thought maybe we fixed the issue went to the next encounter and same thing happened. That time all I did was to delete the monsters and replace them with new ones and it worked. Then the next encounter it happened again. Then I stopped doing all that work and just rolled manually and manually tallied up damage. We played out the rest of the night that way using the map function only from fantasy grounds. 12 encounters all failed.
In essence Fantasy grounds just became a movable map holder for our game and we went to old style pen and paper for everything else.
OK, that doesn't make sense based off where the message is raised in the code. We'll need to the console log files to investigate further.

celestian
March 3rd, 2021, 20:17
OK, that doesn't make sense based off where the message is raised in the code. We'll need to the console log files to investigate further.

He is also running Situation Awareness extension which does some other map tweaks for tokens. He could be running an old version or some other interaction with another extension. I could be completely off base but, thought I'd mention that.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2021, 20:31
He is also running Situation Awareness extension which does some other map tweaks for tokens. He could be running an old version or some other interaction with another extension. I could be completely off base but, thought I'd mention that.
Thanks for that. It wasn't mentioned that this extension was being used.

@hammer58 - disable all extensions, except Universal Modules and see if you have the issue. If you do, then upload the console logs.