PDA

View Full Version : New "short term" Tales from the Yawing Portal Campaign LF roughly 4 players

Morfedel
February 17th, 2021, 01:23
FG License: Utlimate FGU
Game System: 5th edition D&D

Time Zone: Central
Day of week and time: Sunday 2 pm
If new game, planned start date: February 28th
Planned Duration & Frequency: 3-4 hours, once per week
Term: Playing through the Tales from the Yawning Portal; will finish the last adventure we are on then quit once Iron Kingdoms: Requiem comes out, and start a new campaign then.

Text or Voice: Both
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50

Number of Players in game & needed: 4; my wife will be playing but wont always be able to be there. She will be a 5th player.
Character starting level & equipment: 1st, and typical starting equipment as standard.
Character restrictions: I have a tendency to frown against "monster races" as PC races. Orcs, Kobolds, etc. Reason why is I generally don't have cultures that easily accept each other, which makes it difficult to participate in each others societies. I get the reason people would have to play them, but I'm very hesitant - plus I feel that some of them weren't as well playtested, so I am likely to veto most races outside of the PHB, though I MAY consider them if you give me a REALLY good argument - but have a second idea ready in case I do veto it.

Details of your scenario: I am eagerly awaiting the release of the 5th edition of a campaign setting called the Iron Kingdoms. It started as a roleplaying adventure for 3rd edition, sparked a miniatures wargame called Warmachine, and its sister game Hordes, and it has a game world I just LOVE! They have the 5th edition version of it on kickstarter, and once it comes out, I plan on creating a campaign for it. In the meantime, I plan on running the adventures out of Tales from the Yawning Portal, and will finish whatever adventure we are on when Iron Kingdoms Requiem comes out, then start a new campaign in the new setting, with original adventures created by yours truly. I'm not new to FG, but I am new to FGU, so anyone familiar with it who can help me learn and master the new features will be most welcome.

Morfedel
February 17th, 2021, 17:22
So, 54 views and not a single bit of interest? What's the problem, the sunday 2pm time? :( LOL

Dirtyvader99
February 17th, 2021, 23:48
So, 54 views and not a single bit of interest? What's the problem, the sunday 2pm time? :( LOL

Hey, I am interested in playing with this group and might be able to get another person if needed. The 2 PM time is not a problem, how many hours per session do you plan on running? Just curious!

Morfedel
February 18th, 2021, 00:56
Hey, I am interested in playing with this group and might be able to get another person if needed. The 2 PM time is not a problem, how many hours per session do you plan on running? Just curious!

At least 2 and at most 4; prob closer to the 3-4 range, so we can stop around dinner time :)

FinnMacCool
February 18th, 2021, 06:37
I am interested. Sent you a PM.

Morfedel
February 18th, 2021, 07:46
ok so, Dirtyvader, finn, you guys have experience with FGU by chance?

Anyway, so yeah, my wife will be playing, but sporadically. She works nights and as such sometimes she might be too tired to play; so she won't be regular. I will NPC her character on the days that happens. As such, I'm looking for 4 players. Right now we will just be running the published adventures from Tales as mentioned, and if the group meshes well, then when Iron Kingdoms: Requiem releases, will transition to that.

Morbius Shade
February 18th, 2021, 12:25
I'd be interested! Experience in D&D since the 90's and FG in general for a while now. Always wanted to play the Yawning Portal adventures.

Tried to PM you, but it says you got no room left!

FinnMacCool
February 18th, 2021, 14:51
No experience with FGU but I don’t think I’ll have much issues picking it up. PC gamer for years and I’ve watched a few YouTube tutorials.

I checked out the Iron Kingdoms Kickstarter after I read your post, it looks absolutely amazing. Even is this doesn’t work thank you for turning me on to it.

Dirtyvader99
February 18th, 2021, 16:00
I have DM'd for about a year on FG Unity and it is pretty easy to pick-up and nice. Sending you a PM with info and if needed my brother who has played D for years and years is also interested.
Looking forward to the Yawning Portals campaign!

Dirtyvader99
February 18th, 2021, 16:39
Hey Morfedel

Thanks for the invite, and I do have FGU experience, I have a group of friends from my office that play once every two weeks (5E) and I DM those sessions. So more than happy to help in any way I can.

Discord works great - my username is Dirtyvader99
Discord - my brother if we have room is Sini

The Iron Kingdoms sounds awesome. I have friends who played Warmachine and they loved it, so familiar with some parts of that world. If we can help front any costs once the campaign gets started, let us know.
The dates and time are not an issue (my kids are usually keeping to themselves when Sunday hits), 2 PM Central time works great and we can easily go for 2 to 4 hours if needed.

Thanks!
Dirty

Glorwin
February 18th, 2021, 17:10
If you could start at 1 I would join, I am est, and I have a game that starts at 6pm with my daughter. If you can’t change the time I understand.. thanks.

Morfedel
February 18th, 2021, 17:19
I'd be interested! Experience in D&D since the 90's and FG in general for a while now. Always wanted to play the Yawning Portal adventures.

Thats odd. I suspect that was with an old game of mine and not this one. I haven't made any final choices yet, was going to just select the first 4 players that were interested, although favoring those who already are familiar with Unity since I'd only used the classic Fantasy Grounds, and would appreciate the help in mastering the differences bettwen FG classic and FG unity.

So that being the case, no decisions yet, and you are one of the first people who asked, so....

Morfedel
February 18th, 2021, 17:24
Ok., Vader, your bro, Finn, Morbius, you are invited. Glorwin, if I can move the time back 1 hour I'll invite you as well, but I'll draw the line at that. Anyone else, I'll accept you if someone drops, as my experience has shown someone always drops for one reason or another.

Morfedel
February 18th, 2021, 17:29
ok, checked with the wife, 1 won't wor, sorry Glorwin; she also requested we keep it to 3 hours rather than 4, and honestly, I only go 3-4 hours anyway - we have several kids lol.

So, 2-5 rather than 2-6. Sorry Glorwin, and good luck!

Rest of you I'll go ahead and accept you all. I'll drop some character making info and give you my discord ID and everything after I make some lunch here. Be back in a bit!

Glorwin
February 18th, 2021, 17:41
That’s fine, good luck with the campaign!

Morfedel
February 18th, 2021, 19:21
Ok, so here is character creation guidelines:

1. 1st level
2. Races from PHB only; I might be willing to consider other races, but I'm very hesitant; I'm particularly resistant to some of the more monstrous races, but I'm willing to CONSIDER requests, but be prepared in case I say no.
3. All published classes in official books, including archetypes are allowed, but no 3rd party or UA stuff.
4. For the most part I'm allowing feats, but there are a few that are problematic. One example is the two feats that give you a penalty to attack, but a bonus to damage, such as great weapon master and, I believe the other one is called sniper. The problem is that I found many clever players would take these, then have all kinds of ways to get advantage and, as such, almost never miss, thus doing significantly more damage with very little risk; as such, I dont allow these. Case by case basis with feats, in other words.
5. I may disallow a few other things here or there, or have modified them, but again, these are on a case by case basis.
6. Stats: point buy or standard array, no die rolling.

Examples: the healing spirit spell, when released, was way too powerful. I believe they did in fact errata that later, but if not, I house ruled it. By the same token, I have house ruled a few minor things. For example, thunder wave emanates from your body like it did in 4th edition instead of from a point next to you.

There aren't many of these, so I'll prob just have to address them as they come up.

Also realize that a lot of rules most people assume are standard are actually optional rules. For example, feats are actually an optional rule, for instance, but one I use. Flanking is a rule I don't use. If you have any questions on anything specific, let me know

I will do a character creation/session 0 this sunday, with plans to start the following sunday.

Dirtyvader99
February 18th, 2021, 22:07
Sounds good, this Sunday works great and looking forward to it!
2. PHB works for races and classes, have no tried any newer classes and only 1 or 2 archetypes out of Xanathar's and Tasha's.
3. As for feats, I have never tried them before (we always did the 2 point stat increase) but more than happy to try them - some of them are a little OP like Sharpshooter at long range, etc. Again, we are not picky at all and just enjoy playing so set the rules you want as GM that work best for you.
6. Stats - Outside of die rolls, the only other one I have tried is the 27 point variant scale in the PHB. Again not picky, as racials allow you to usually get the 1 or 2 scores you need to an acceptable number.
As a GM, I am with you on flanking - as players of a certain group size will always try and position on both sides of people to get Advantage, etc.
Thanks!

Morfedel
February 18th, 2021, 22:16

Oh I thought you meant no room left in the GAME, my mailbox was full, lol! just cleaned it out....

Morfedel
February 19th, 2021, 01:35
Do the rest of you have discord IDs?

Morfedel
February 19th, 2021, 01:51
Hey Morfedel

Thanks for the invite, and I do have FGU experience, I have a group of friends from my office that play once every two weeks (5E) and I DM those sessions. So more than happy to help in any way I can.

Discord works great - my username is Dirtyvader99
Discord - my brother if we have room is Sini

The Iron Kingdoms sounds awesome. I have friends who played Warmachine and they loved it, so familiar with some parts of that world. If we can help front any costs once the campaign gets started, let us know.
The dates and time are not an issue (my kids are usually keeping to themselves when Sunday hits), 2 PM Central time works great and we can easily go for 2 to 4 hours if needed.

Thanks!
Dirty

Hm, I tried adding you on discord, it says I need the last four digits on your account as well. For instance, I'm: Morfedel#5849

FinnMacCool
February 19th, 2021, 05:10
I sent you my discord handle in a pm but also shot off a friend request in discord. Hopefully that works.

Dirtyvader99
February 19th, 2021, 05:32
Sorry about that -
Dirtyvader99#8930
Sini#0731

Morfedel
February 19th, 2021, 14:20
Finn, Vader, Morbius, got you added as friends

Vader, Sini's account says he has friend invites turned off, so he will have to invite me instead.

Dirtyvader99
February 19th, 2021, 14:45
OK I will send him your info

Morfedel
February 19th, 2021, 15:00
ok have all four of you now as friends, and invited you to my discord server as well.