PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from a beginner

Facjad
February 17th, 2021, 01:02
Hi,
I have a few questions before deciding to switch to Fantasy Grounds:
- I have trouble to use effects from here (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996641893/4E+Effects)... Is there a guide that shows comprehensive examples? For example, shouldn't the effect "AURA: 5 none FAFAD2" add color around the token? I found this on Discord, but it seems not to work... Similarly, a PC with "ATK:2, DMG:2" seems not to have any bonus to attack and damage rolls...
- Is it possible to have a button to apply damage and an effect at the same time? On the test powers I created, I had to separate damages and effects...
- what is the best way to implement a multitarget power that has an effect on miss? If "Target: remove on miss" is active, I would have to track targets that are missed, target them, and finally apply the miss effect on them. Is there an easier way?
- is it possible to somehow apply damage on the fly to a token? I would like to tell FG: "hey, this enemy takes additional 7 damages" or even better "this enemy takes 1d6+3 damages". I could add them manually to the wounds, but I'm slow to compute mentally. I tried dragging and dropping a die on a token but it doesn't work.
Thanks in advance for your help!

kevininrussia
February 17th, 2021, 02:53
1. I don't know of any effect for 4e that adds a color around a token.
2. ATK:2, DMG:2. That should be ATK:2; DMG:2
3. Is it possible to have a button to apply damage and an effect at the same time? No unless its damage over time. For example DMGO: 5 poison
4. Multitarget: Open Options and select Multi on Target: Remove on miss. Usually a miss is half damage so retarget the missed targets and click on Half Damage button then roll damage (if you installed 4E_Desktop_Buttons.ext) https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65259-KJ%92s-Unity-4E-Extension-Emporium
5. Damage on the fly; I think the only way is to create a trap for example that does the damage you want and put it in your hot bar. Then change the damage on the fly of that trap.

Facjad
February 25th, 2021, 16:31
Thanks for your answers!
Sorry for late reply X)

Facjad
March 28th, 2021, 21:56
Hello,
so I will (finally) switch to Fantasy Grounds soon. I now have some more questions :
- Is it possible to have an effect with a resistance equal to a sum ? "RESIST: [CON] + 5" ends up as "RESIST: 2 + 5" on the combat tracker, without any effect when taking damage. "RESIST: 5 + [CON]" oddly ends up as "RESIST: 7 +"... Same for "RESIST: 5 + [HLVL] fire", which ends as "RESIST: 6 + fire", without effect when taking fire damage. Is this a bug ?
- I added "RESIST: 6 fire" in the appropriate field of a PC's character sheet, but the effect is not added on their token... Similarly, one of my players should always have "IF: Bloodied; REGEN: [CHA]" active. It works, but I had to add a button to their powers. Is there a way to auto-apply effects to PCs ?
- Is there a way to add effects to PC powers (as buttons) that make them loose or gain healing surges ? I have a player that has a power where they can spend a healing surge to do additional damage. The "lose a healing surge" text in the power description is double-clickable, but it is the target who looses a healing surge. Similarly, they have a power that makes them gain a healing surge, I have no idea how to do this other than manually (tried to add a heal effect with negative HS cost, but it does not show as a button if it heals 0 HP)...
- One of my player has a beast companion. Any suggestions on how to do this ? I created it as a PC, but to have it on the grid, I have first to drag and drop it on the combat tracker, then on the field, and finally remove it from the combat tracker (it shouldn't have turns). Also, levelling up gets funky (because bonuses are per level and not every two levels), but it is manageable.

Also, good news, I found how to apply damage on the fly: just roll the damage in the chat box, and drag and drop the result on the "Wnd" field of the appropriate token in the combat tracker. :)

Thanks in advance!

Zarestia
March 28th, 2021, 22:06
You can add effects from the character sheet, from the combat tracker or from the effcts panel top right. That are all, without extensions, afaik, you must try out what works best for you. Effects from character sheets need to be pressed to populate in the combat tracker (small human figure).
For a beast companion: Either as a PC or NPC. I would suggest a NPC if you don't need many adjustments or just simple ones you can manage with effects (ability adjustments and so on); go for a PC if you need many adjustments.

Hope that helps at least a bit, don't know much about 4E...

kevininrussia
March 28th, 2021, 22:25
Hello,
so I will (finally) switch to Fantasy Grounds soon. I now have some more questions :
- Is it possible to have an effect with a resistance equal to a sum ? "RESIST: [CON] + 5" ends up as "RESIST: 2 + 5" on the combat tracker, without any effect when taking damage. "RESIST: 5 + [CON]" oddly ends up as "RESIST: 7 +"... Same for "RESIST: 5 + [HLVL] fire", which ends as "RESIST: 6 + fire", without effect when taking fire damage. Is this a bug ?
- I added "RESIST: 6 fire" in the appropriate field of a PC's character sheet, but the effect is not added on their token... Similarly, one of my players should always have "IF: Bloodied; REGEN: [CHA]" active. It works, but I had to add a button to their powers. Is there a way to auto-apply effects to PCs ?
- Is there a way to add effects to PC powers (as buttons) that make them loose or gain healing surges ? I have a player that has a power where they can spend a healing surge to do additional damage. The "lose a healing surge" text in the power description is double-clickable, but it is the target who looses a healing surge. Similarly, they have a power that makes them gain a healing surge, I have no idea how to do this other than manually (tried to add a heal effect with negative HS cost, but it does not show as a button if it heals 0 HP)...
- One of my player has a beast companion. Any suggestions on how to do this ? I created it as a PC, but to have it on the grid, I have first to drag and drop it on the combat tracker, then on the field, and finally remove it from the combat tracker (it shouldn't have turns). Also, levelling up gets funky (because bonuses are per level and not every two levels), but it is manageable.

Also, good news, I found how to apply damage on the fly: just roll the damage in the chat box, and drag and drop the result on the "Wnd" field of the appropriate token in the combat tracker. :)

Thanks in advance!

1. I think "RESIST:# type" has to be a static number
2. Has to be applied to the character in the Combat Tracker by Effect Button or manual in the CT. Once in the CT it will say there on the PC until you clear them from the CT.
3. To only add or subtract a healing surge pick an attribute that has a modifier of 0 (in example Wisdom of the character has a 0 modifier) then use a healing surge value of 1 or -1. Have the effect button with SELF selected.
https://i.imgur.com/n6qvkW6.png
4. If you just want a token on the map that represents the beast companion, drag the token image from assets to the map. For my players beast companions I created a character, put it on the CT and gave it the same initiative number as the player. The player Owns both characters and can control them both on the map.

Kelrugem
March 28th, 2021, 22:47
Hello,

Thanks in advance!

I do not have much time, so, I can only answer the first question: Try RESIST: 5 [HLVL] fire, normally FG treats a space in front of the square bracket as a plus :) (but spontaneously not sure whether it reacts well with the damage type, so, test first)

Facjad
March 28th, 2021, 22:53
Ok, thanks to both of you :)
Forgot about the effect panel, I think I will use it.
It feels a bit dirty to use an attribute with 0 modifier, but it will do for now X)

Facjad
March 28th, 2021, 22:55
I do not have much time, so, I can only answer the first question: Try RESIST: 5 [HLVL] fire, normally FG treats a space in front of the square bracket as a plus :) (but spontaneously not sure whether it reacts well with the damage type, so, test first)

Oh! Super nice! It works!

kevininrussia
March 28th, 2021, 23:05
oh yeah, forgot about [HLVL]. Adding it to the Tiefling now ;-)

Facjad
April 1st, 2021, 22:22
Hello!
my first session with FGU is approaching, and I'm back with some more advanced questions:

1) In this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65259-KJ%92s-Unity-4E-Extension-Emporium) thread, there is an extension for aura effects (btw, thanks kevininrussia for sharing ^^), but I can't get it to work... When I do right click on the map, there is an option "Unlock Tokens", so I suppose token lock is activated. I tried to put both
"AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Awareness; SKILL: 1 perception" and
"Aura; AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Awareness; SKILL: 1 perception"
to no avail, even when moving the tokens in and out of reach... Should I do something to "validate" the effect?

2) In the 4E effects page (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996641893/4E+Effects), there is an entry with TRGT, what does it do?

3) Is it possible to have an effect be valid only for one specific target? If I have a token named "Brandis", if I do "IFT: Brandis; DMG: 4" to an ennemy, the bonus is applied regardless to target. The effect "an ally within 5 squares gains a +4 bonus to damage rolls against the target" is translated into "TRGT; DMG: 4" but it does not work too...

4) If there is an extension "4E Item Slot Field (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65259-KJ%92s-Unity-4E-Extension-Emporium)" , I suppose it means the enhancement bonuses from items are not automatically applied?

Thanks a lot!

kevininrussia
April 1st, 2021, 22:53
1. This is where you lock the token for GM movement acceptance. GM has to move the token for Aura to work or use Token Lock and GM accepts the movement.
https://i.imgur.com/YeOXt8w.png

Also the AURA affects the caster so sometimes you need to add a negative number to negate the Aura on the caster.
https://i.imgur.com/TMSQUBl.png

2. I never noticed it to do anything. I always use the buttons for SELF or TRGT.

3. Brandis has to be an effect. In this example "Mire" is added to the target creature and "Mire the Mind; IFT: CUSTOM(Mire); Invisible" is added to all the players.
https://i.imgur.com/Qndo6rB.png

4. They are not automatically applied. You will have to do it manually. (edit) I should say bonus from an amulet isn't but Shield and Armor is.

Facjad
April 5th, 2021, 01:22
Thanks for your advice, I will keep in mind the possibility to use CUSTOM.

I still can't bring the auras to work though... :/
I show my problem here (in a clean test environment without any other extensions, and with token lock activated):
https://youtu.be/kEFmTVZEp90
Is there something I do wrong? I don't think the fact that I use Linux could have an effect on extensions, right?

kevininrussia
April 5th, 2021, 02:12
Thanks for your advice, I will keep in mind the possibility to use CUSTOM.

I still can't bring the auras to work though... :/
I show my problem here (in a clean test environment without any other extensions, and with token lock activated):
https://youtu.be/kEFmTVZEp90
Is there something I do wrong? I don't think the fact that I use Linux could have an effect on extensions, right?

Do you have a grid added to the map? Looks like you do but checking as its needed.

Also it wont add anything to the Skills tab. It will be added as an Effect on the Combat Tracker for each PC/NPC and also will see text of the effect in the Chat box. I dont see any effect added to the PC's as you move them so makes me think maybe there is not a grid defined.

Facjad
April 5th, 2021, 12:58
Ok, so it seems that the grid has to be set visible in order for the auras to work... I don't know if this is normal or if it is a bug, but I least, I know how to get them to work! :)
Thanks again!
Don't know if it is useful, but I show it here: https://youtu.be/0eceKIGj32A

kevininrussia
April 5th, 2021, 19:58
Ok, so it seems that the grid has to be set visible in order for the auras to work... I don't know if this is normal or if it is a bug, but I least, I know how to get them to work! :)
Thanks again!
Don't know if it is useful, but I show it here: https://youtu.be/0eceKIGj32A

Turning the visibility eye off basically turns off the grid. If you want to adjust the visibility of the grid use the alpha slider in the grid color window.

Facjad
April 5th, 2021, 20:22
Turning the visibility eye off basically turns off the grid. If you want to adjust the visibility of the grid use the alpha slider in the grid color window.

Indeed, I found it strange at first, but I forgot about alpha color X)

I have now another problem though... :/ Does the "FACTION()" work in 4E?
What I want to implement is the power Disruptive Words, which basically is an aura 5, in which enemies grant combat advantage. What I did is, as explained in the 5E thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects):
AURA: 5 foe; Disruptive Words; IF: FACTION(foe); GRANTCA
But my bard is still affected by their own aura, granting combat advantage to all attacks...

Facjad
April 5th, 2021, 20:41
Ok, it seems the problem may come from GRANTCA. Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50895-Kelrugem-s-extensions), they say, for their extension: "For the previous point: invisible, CA and GRANTCA now also work with IFT (and so also with NIFT). This was not possible before, the (T) did not imply that (so an exception in the wiki), it was only targetable. This means that you can combine them with IFT as in IFT: CUSTOM(test); GRANTCA. (IFT: invisible; [...] etc. should have been possible already before)".
This may be related...

EDIT: I read too fast, this is for IFT, and not IF...

kevininrussia
April 5th, 2021, 22:30
I'm not on computer with FG, but does this work?
AURA: 5 foe; Disruptive Words; GRANTCA

Facjad
April 5th, 2021, 22:55
No, it does the same as with the IF... :/

kevininrussia
April 5th, 2021, 23:12
Oh, I see what you are saying. The GRANTCA is applying to the caster. The only workaround I have for that is applying the inverse as an Effect as shown in the post above with Aura of Protection. So in this case I guess you would have to add DEF: 2 to the caster.

Facjad
April 5th, 2021, 23:32
I have thought of this too, but sadly there is still some brainpower left to use X) (if the source of the aura gets flanked, it makes the "combat advantage" button to have no effect (because it does not stack with the GRANTCA), so I would have to think to add +2 to the attack roll instead)

If you say this is the only workaround, do you imply that indeed, the "FACTION(foe)" condition has not been ported to the 4E version of aura effects, as I supposed previously?

kevininrussia
April 5th, 2021, 23:47
I have thought of this too, but sadly there is still some brainpower left to use X) (if the source of the aura gets flanked, it makes the "combat advantage" button to have no effect (because it does not stack with the GRANTCA), so I would have to think to add +2 to the attack roll instead)

If you say this is the only workaround, do you imply that indeed, the "FACTION(foe)" condition has not been ported to the 4E version of aura effects, as I supposed previously?

How about instead of GRANTCA you change it to DEF: -2? Then the Combat Advantage button will work.

The 4e version has all the same features as the 5e version, just has some tweaks to work with 4E and I fixed the issue with negative numbers in the aura effect. You could try testing in 5e to see if it works there. I dont think the original developer has updated it for Unity so maybe it only works in Classic.

Facjad
April 6th, 2021, 11:54
Ok, thanks, I will look into it!

kevininrussia
April 19th, 2021, 02:53
bmos fixed a lot of the issue with Aura Effects extension. I have tested with 4e and its working well.

https://github.com/bmos/FG-Aura-Effect/releases/tag/v0.8