PDA

View Full Version : Extensions: BUYER BEWARE

SilentRuin
February 14th, 2021, 22:40
First, let me state up front - I like extensions. And there are FREE extensions in the forums here. FREE. You should ALWAYS look for these first. There are also devs who will do things for free if they think there is a real need for them. I should state up front before you ask I'm not one of these paragons of virtue but I truly salute them and they do exist. Also, learning to do an extension yourself can give you guaranteed control of it and the ability to add more into it to do other things you want to do later. That is also FREE and a worthwhile learning trip.

I also can't stress enough EXTENSIONS = RISK! If you stick to FGU raw as its delivered they will keep you running - and fix the bugs etc. If you get an extension, that you did not write and maintain yourself, you will have to wait for fixes when FGU changes break it or when other extensions break it. (this will likely happen to a number of extensions on Feb 16 FGU code upgrade)

So if you can, FREE is the way to go.

Now, if you can't find what you want, and don't have time to learn to do it yourself, or someone has something you want that is reasonably priced - only then should consider entering the high risk stakes of owning a paid for extension.

Because here is the thing - there is no price control. There is no guarantee it will be maintained. I can tell you from experience that every price you see for an extension is guessed at. And sometimes they are ridiculous. A trivial change you could make in 5 minutes will be put up for sale at a ridiculous price. BUYER BEWARE. How would you know? You won't really. And that's my warning. You need to be extra careful when considering when to buy an extension because you have no real way of knowing if someone is just trying to price something ridiculous or not.

Price should be based on level of effort to do it, how good/unique the idea being implemented is, how much the market will bear to pay for it. Now that last one can be a suckers game. As in how careless and unknowing the buyers are. Try to learn about what your getting first. Having said that - there are not a lot of ways to do that. So BEWARE as best you can.

Until last Nov. 30th, DMsG was the only legal place to sell 5E extensions for SmiteWorks FG. The license involved a 50% take where SW, WOTC, and DMsG split that half of the royalties. That is part of price consideration in extensions also I should note. After Nov. 30th all extension developers were notified by letter that any of their extensions that dealt with changing the VTT (software not WOTC 5E data) without dealing directly with data changes would no longer be allowed. This was a WOTC decision and it only takes one to baulk when having multiple licenses involved. SW then announced that FG Forge would be coming out sometime this year and that would allow for Free and Paid for extensions (not here yet). DMsG removed the new ones the day this came into effect (I know Nov. 30th as that was day my brand new 5E extension was removed - Update - just today it was allowed back on as they felt bad I was only one effected - but temp till FG forge is ready as they will still be removed at some point), but left the ones alone that were put in before that decision - for the time being. Also I've been informed that new ones continue to appear, but I've been told by others that have checked into it (not me) that the rules have not changed. I tell you all this so that you know buying extensions is kind of in a very weird spot right now that I personally don't understand myself.

Point being, you really need to be careful about buying a paid for extension and only do it if you know what your doing. If your new to the game - DO NOT go out and buy a bunch of extensions. Personally I can't see how people run more than 10 or so but I have heard people running 70. Its a personal choice for sure. Just...

BUYER BEWARE

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 14th, 2021, 22:48
I'd like to add that I think DM's should really research an extension that is for sale before they buy it.

Try to find answers for the following questions:

Is this function vital to my gameplay experience?
Is this the only way of accomplishing this?
Is it worth the cost?

I've found several extensions on DMsGuild that perform something that a DM can do without the extension. Sometimes, the cost for the convenience is worth it. Sometimes, it's not.

SilentRuin
February 14th, 2021, 23:33
For example - "someone" just asked me to let them hold CTR for advantage rolls and ALT for disadvantage rolls. I could sell this for some incredible sum and people would buy it - but that would be RIDICULOUS. For example - I leave this lousy quick coding here for anyone who wants to try it. Of course support will be at my discretion :) Would have taken 5 minutes but my usual screw ups and miskeys it took 1/2 hour. [update: fixed to remove spammy print stuff.]

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 14th, 2021, 23:38
For example - "someone" just asked me to let them hold CTR for advantage rolls and ALT for disadvantage rolls. I could sell this for some incredible sum and people would buy it - but that would be RIDICULOUS. For example - I leave this lousy quick coding here for anyone who wants to try it. Of course support will be at my discretion :) Would have taken 5 minutes but my usual screw ups and miskeys it took 1/2 hour.

I LOVE IT! And it should already be a part of the ruleset. Just saves a few seconds of clicking on the ADV/DIS buttons. Convenient and wonderful.

SilentRuin
February 14th, 2021, 23:40
I LOVE IT! And it should already be a part of the ruleset. Just saves a few seconds of clicking on the ADV/DIS buttons. Convenient and wonderful.

I officially give SW permission to use this incredibly trivial code that I'd drop dead before I charged for.

Point.... MADE.

similarly
February 15th, 2021, 01:11
Yeah, I 100% agree, and I say that as a person who actually uses a LOT of extensions. I've seen some extensions recently that I'm kind of shaking my head over: a whole extension for THAT?

Tyrannosaurus Vex's rules are VERY good. I'd encourage people not to get an extension unless it's something that REALLY adds to the game. There are some very good ones, and as SilentRuin says, some of the best and most useful are free right here on the forums.

LordEntrails
February 15th, 2021, 01:31
I officially give SW permission to use this incredibly trivial code that I'd drop dead before I charged for.

Point.... MADE.
Don't forget, you can let them know this by a quick statement either in the extension or in the extension thread. Just make a quick and simple license statement. Some discussion and possibilities in the link in my sig.

SilentRuin
February 15th, 2021, 03:31
Don't forget, you can let them know this by a quick statement either in the extension or in the extension thread. Just make a quick and simple license statement. Some discussion and possibilities in the link in my sig.

This was just a quick example I wrote off a copy of the project I use to make moon examples of things. Tis too simple to justify any of that - as far as I'm concerned the version here is plenty unless someone besides Vex actually wants it. I don't consider it like my other extensions including the free one I maintain. Those are orders of magnitude more complex. This one was an example to make a point - some things are too easy. As far as I'm concerned its practically a one liner open code anyone can take. Including SW. Signed - approved - sealed with the bond of my forum signature here -_-

And yes, all the ones I wrote have the license in every file of my code. So didn't forget - just this didn't even warrant a comment in the code.

Jiminimonka
February 15th, 2021, 08:11
Yeah, I 100% agree, and I say that as a person who actually uses a LOT of extensions. I've seen some extensions recently that I'm kind of shaking my head over: a whole extension for THAT?

Tyrannosaurus Vex's rules are VERY good. I'd encourage people not to get an extension unless it's something that REALLY adds to the game. There are some very good ones, and as SilentRuin says, some of the best and most useful are free right here on the forums.

Yeah I have seen some extensions that are just cash grabs and pointless. Pity, because people waste money on them.

Mytherus
February 15th, 2021, 13:55
Wasn't this posted already by the same person ....a week ago.

Is the spam needed

Nylanfs
February 15th, 2021, 15:21

Is the spam needed

No, this is different. The previous was about extensions and the program updating breaking them.

This is a buyer beware warning to not get taken advantage of when purchasing something that seems like a simple change.

SilentRuin
February 15th, 2021, 16:28

Is the spam needed

(sigh) One must read the posts to know that. As I often depend on people reading past the first sentence of things for me - I cannot cast any stones here :)

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 15th, 2021, 22:56
I cannot cast any magic stones here :)

Fixed it for ya.

deer_buster
February 16th, 2021, 13:51
First, let me state up front - I like extensions. And there are FREE extensions in the forums here. FREE. You should ALWAYS look for these first. There are also devs who will do things for free if they think there is a real need for them. I should state up front before you ask I'm not one of these paragons of virtue but I truly salute them and they do exist. Also, learning to do an extension yourself can give you guaranteed control of it and the ability to add more into it to do other things you want to do later. That is also FREE and a worthwhile learning trip.

I also can't stress enough EXTENSIONS = RISK! If you stick to FGU raw as its delivered they will keep you running - and fix the bugs etc. If you get an extension, that you did not write and maintain yourself, you will have to wait for fixes when FGU changes break it or when other extensions break it. (this will likely happen to a number of extensions on Feb 16 FGU code upgrade)

Now, if you can't find what you want, and don't have time to learn to do it yourself, or someone has something you want that is reasonably priced - only then should consider entering the high risk stakes of owning a paid for extension.

Because here is the thing - there is no price control. There is no guarantee it will be maintained. I can tell you from experience that every price you see for an extension is guessed at. And sometimes they are ridiculous. A trivial change you could make in 5 minutes will be put up for sale at a ridiculous price. BUYER BEWARE. How would you know? You won't really. And that's my warning. You need to be extra careful when considering when to buy an extension because you have no real way of knowing if someone is just trying to price something ridiculous or not.

Price should be based on level of effort to do it, how good/unique the idea being implemented is, how much the market will bear to pay for it. Now that last one can be a suckers game. As in how careless and unknowing the buyers are. Try to learn about what your getting first. Having said that - there are not a lot of ways to do that. So BEWARE as best you can.

Until last Nov. 30th, DMsG was the only legal place to sell 5E extensions for SmiteWorks FG. The license involved a 50% take where SW, WOTC, and DMsG split that half of the royalties. That is part of price consideration in extensions also I should note. After Nov. 30th all extension developers were notified by letter that any of their extensions that dealt with changing the VTT (software not WOTC 5E data) without dealing directly with data changes would no longer be allowed. This was a WOTC decision and it only takes one to baulk when having multiple licenses involved. SW then announced that FG Forge would be coming out sometime this year and that would allow for Free and Paid for extensions (not here yet). DMsG removed the new ones the day this came into effect (I know Nov. 30th as that was day my brand new 5E extension was removed - Update - just today it was allowed back on as they felt bad I was only one effected - but temp till FG forge is ready as they will still be removed at some point), but left the ones alone that were put in before that decision - for the time being. Also I've been informed that new ones continue to appear, but I've been told by others that have checked into it (not me) that the rules have not changed. I tell you all this so that you know buying extensions is kind of in a very weird spot right now that I personally don't understand myself.

Point being, you really need to be careful about buying a paid for extension and only do it if you know what your doing. If your new to the game - DO NOT go out and buy a bunch of extensions. Personally I can't see how people run more than 10 or so but I have heard people running 70. Its a personal choice for sure. Just...

BUYER BEWARE

Yeah, there are a lot of cash grabs going on, with few paid extensions actually worth any money, much less what is being charged. I make my extensions to help make the games I play better. If someone really thinks mine are useful and want to give me something for my effort, they can donate to me. Now if I took the time to make something truly original, like some that I have used and paid for, that didn't depend on the efforts of others, sure, I might consider charging something for my effort, but definitely not until there was some mechanism in place to manage those updates better than forum posts.

malvok
February 16th, 2021, 15:37
Would have taken 5 minutes but my usual screw ups and miskeys it took 1/2 hour. It took you, an experienced professional extension developer, half an hour to write that trivial extension. How long do you think it would take for the average person with no experience to write it? An experienced artist could probably draw a character portrait in minutes that would be better than anything I could ever produce, what should be the value of that artwork?

I guess I'm just trying to say that if someone is incapable of writing an extension, finds one they're interested in, and is willing to pay for it, then more power to them and the author of said extension. If they can find it cheap or free then great but I don't see this as a terrible thing.

SilentRuin
February 16th, 2021, 15:51
It took you, an experienced professional extension developer, half an hour to write that trivial extension. How long do you think it would take for the average person with no experience to write it? An experienced artist could probably draw a character portrait in minutes that would be better than anything I could ever produce, what should be the value of that artwork?

I guess I'm just trying to say that if someone is incapable of writing an extension, finds one they're interested in, and is willing to pay for it, then more power to them and the author of said extension. If they can find it cheap or free then great but I don't see this as a terrible thing.

As I said - I could put it up for sale and people would pay for something so ridiculously simple. In fact, Vex told me he would. But that was my point - I would not charge for something so trivial. Others would. Others... do.

Buyer Beware.

Jiminimonka
February 16th, 2021, 16:24
For me, extension are quality of life improvements and to help with day to day running. Like Elemental Adept extension or Auto Sneak Attack - I can implement the rules manually but these extension help things along. I also never started using extensions until about a year ago, before that I did it all manually, which is not that hard in most cases, and it teaches you and the other players the rules of the game, which is very important. Understanding how and when Sneak Attack should be applied is something all rogues and DMs should know for example, but an extension that takes away the need to apply the effect etc. Nice.

Seems like a lot of new users who haven't got a clue how to play D&D let alone use FantasyGrounds, are going out buying extensions. Hopefully they look on the forums first and see there are free versions (and some of the free ones are as good or better than the paid ones) and also learn how to use FG AND their rule set of choice before they spend additional money on extensions.

I hope that Smiteworks Forge adds a way to tip those community developers that do all their work for free (and have been doing so for many years) and I also hope that more of these extensions just get added to the rules sets by Smiteworks as well. FantasyGrounds has so many rules sets that obviously this is a big ask, but one day maybe.

lostsanityreturned
February 16th, 2021, 17:23
It took you, an experienced professional extension developer, half an hour to write that trivial extension. How long do you think it would take for the average person with no experience to write it? An experienced artist could probably draw a character portrait in minutes that would be better than anything I could ever produce, what should be the value of that artwork?

I am not sure how silent ruin handled it, but I made an adv dis extension that did the same thing (and released it here), it took less than 30min and just involved checking the syntax for holding shift for crit damage and porting it over to advantage and disadvantage checks.

Not everything is that straight forward, but if you are prepared to be a bit hacky for the purpose of speed there is a lot of code that can be repurposed with minimal learning.

deer_buster
February 16th, 2021, 17:26
I hope that Smiteworks Forge adds a way to tip those community developers that do all their work for free (and have been doing so for many years) and I also hope that more of these extensions just get added to the rules sets by Smiteworks as well. FantasyGrounds has so many rules sets that obviously this is a big ask, but one day maybe.

This would be nice

SilentRuin
February 16th, 2021, 17:27
I am not sure how silent ruin handled it, but I made an adv dis extension that did the same thing (and released it here), it took less than 30min and just involved checking the syntax for holding shift for crit damage and porting it over to advantage and disadvantage checks.

Not everything is that straight forward, but if you are prepared to be a bit hacky for the purpose of speed there is a lot of code that can be repurposed with minimal learning.

Not counting the extension.xml file this is the code in its entirety. Like I said - should have taken me 5 min but I'm fumble fingered and prone to typos so took me 1/2 hour :)

-- Store original ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage function so we can restore it on close
local saveencodeAdvantage = nil;

function onInit()
saveencodeAdvantage = ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage
ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage = encodeAdvantage;
end

function onClose()
ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage = saveencodeAdvantage;
end

function encodeAdvantage(rRoll, bADV, bDIS)
Debug.console("Advantages:encodeAdvantage called")
printstack();
if Input.isControlPressed() then
bADV = true;
else
if Input.isAltPressed() then
bDIS = true;
end
end
saveencodeAdvantage(rRoll, bADV, bDIS);
end

UGH now that I see it I will have to repackage it in this thread and give vex a less spammy version in console!!!! DAG NAB IT!!! 35 minutes total now :(

[Update removed spammy prints - so fixed!!! See new .ext file in 2nd or 3rd post if you want the updated one]

And remember people, and .ext file is just a .zip file renamed. It has ALL the code in it visible in notepad by anyone.

Imagix
February 16th, 2021, 19:55
And for many people, writing such code is simply a bridge too far. If some developer provides it for free, great! If another developer wants to charge $1 for it, so be it. If it's so simple, they'll get no sales because everybody is just writing their own.

The term "buyer beware" (particularly in all caps) seems to suggest that such developers are attempting to do something shady. They provide an extension, and they wish to be paid $X for its use. All in the open offer/acceptance.

I haven't tried to publish an extension, so I have no idea what sort of licensing (if any) is required from Smiteworks to distribute such extensions (and such licensing might be contingent on whether the extension is free or not).

deer_buster
February 16th, 2021, 19:58
And for many people, writing such code is simply a bridge too far. If some developer provides it for free, great! If another developer wants to charge $1 for it, so be it. If it's so simple, they'll get no sales because everybody is just writing their own.

The term "buyer beware" (particularly in all caps) seems to suggest that such developers are attempting to do something shady. They provide an extension, and they wish to be paid $X for its use. All in the open offer/acceptance.

I haven't tried to publish an extension, so I have no idea what sort of licensing (if any) is required from Smiteworks to distribute such extensions (and such licensing might be contingent on whether the extension is free or not).

I think he is just trying to warn potential extension owners to ensure they are getting their money's worth from an extension that will be actively supported, etc. Particularly after today's update is going to break a majority of them (likely)

DragonBetween
February 16th, 2021, 19:59

BUYER BEWARE
Thanks for this post. I was waiting for your ext. I just bought it. Can’t wait to use it.

SilentRuin
February 16th, 2021, 20:10

There is only one legal licensed place currently to sell extensions for 5E (unless you've got your own publishing deal with SW) and that is DMsG, and that may be going away in the near future for extensions. Fortunately, SW is developing their own storefront called FG Forge for FREE and paid extensions which is in development now.

This was actually triggered by me being told there was a rash of useless extensions appearing for high prices in DMsG. I never really looked myself, but it made me think I should warn about being careful in buying extensions.

Now, I'm the first to admit that its perfectly legal to try and sucker some rube into shelling out hard earned cash for something they don't need or to overprice it, it can be very subjective on what is fair or not. But if you've read some of the replies in here - you'll notice that others have seen this trend also.

You may be fine with it and that's your right to be. Me? I'd rather warn new players....

BUYER BEWARE

(yes, in all caps)

SilentRuin
February 16th, 2021, 20:12
thanks for this post. I was waiting for your ext. I just bought it. Can’t wait to use it.

buyer beware !!! :)

Extensions = RISK - always remember it - including mine.

Milmoor
February 16th, 2021, 20:36
I bought quite a few extensions and am quite happy with them. They save me time, and add options. I bought Generic Actions for example. If I don't think it's worth my money, I won't buy it. People have invested time in creating them, so I don't mind rewarding them for it. Does it need complexity for that? If it solves my issue, why should it? I pay for the result, not the means used. I really do like the effect coding packages, they save me lots of work, but I could do without. Everything else is extra.

The thing that does bother me a bit is that the paid extensions are currently bought without a maintenance fee. That way the developer will have exhausted the market after a while, and will move to a new extension with fresh customers. I would prefer to pay a small amount for an update once in a while. Do I expect eternal usage? Nah, I assume most, but not all will, work for quite a while. The more complex the extension, the more likely it will break at a certain point. I don't blame the developer for it, such is the way of things.

SilentRuin
February 16th, 2021, 20:44
I bought quite a few extensions and am quite happy with them. They save me time, and add options. I bought Generic Actions for example. If I don't think it's worth my money, I won't buy it. People have invested time in creating them, so I don't mind rewarding them for it. Does it need complexity for that? If it solves my issue, why should it? I pay for the result, not the means used. I really do like the effect coding packages, they save me lots of work, but I could do without. Everything else is extra.

The thing that does bother me a bit is that the paid extensions are currently bought without a maintenance fee. That way the developer will have exhausted the market after a while, and will move to a new extension with fresh customers. I would prefer to pay a small amount for an update once in a while. Do I expect eternal usage? Nah, I assume most, but not all will, work for quite a while. The more complex the extension, the more likely it will break at a certain point. I don't blame the developer for it, such is the way of things.

Considering one of mine took 350 hours to develop - I would be dead set against a maintenance fee. I can see nothing but horrible problems stemming from people paying it. SW app is the source of all code - no extension can work without being built upon that platform. We are LUCKY to be allowed to get anything in a situation like that - let alone some sort of reoccurring fee.

Extensions = RISK - its just something your going to have to accept if you use them. I'm sure many may be broken with today's update - and there are some who have already said due to real life things going on they won't be able to get there stuff up an working for a while if this breaks them. That's fine - that's real life. Very few of us have prepared in TEST to make sure we are ready and I was paid for my extensions so feel obligated to do it as I do have the time. Plus I really made them for myself, so I need them working.

I can't state strongly enough of how much against a maintenance fee I am. No. Just No.

similarly
February 16th, 2021, 22:58
Considering one of mine took 350 hours to develop - I would be dead set against a maintenance fee. I can see nothing but horrible problems stemming from people paying it. SW app is the source of all code - no extension can work without being built upon that platform. We are LUCKY to be allowed to get anything in a situation like that - let alone some sort of reoccurring fee.

Extensions = RISK - its just something your going to have to accept if you use them. I'm sure many may be broken with today's update - and there are some who have already said due to real life things going on they won't be able to get there stuff up an working for a while if this breaks them. That's fine - that's real life. Very few of us have prepared in TEST to make sure we are ready and I was paid for my extensions so feel obligated to do it as I do have the time. Plus I really made them for myself, so I need them working.

I can't state strongly enough of how much against a maintenance fee I am. No. Just No.

I admire your integrity immensely. Also, VERY happy to see your Combat Groups made it to dmsguild. Congratulations.

SilentRuin
February 16th, 2021, 23:14
I admire your integrity immensely. Also, VERY happy to see your Combat Groups made it to dmsguild. Congratulations.

TEST WENT TO LIVE - BOOM if you don't update all my extensions - which I've just now finished - all the ones in my sig are ready.

Mytherus
February 18th, 2021, 23:11
(sigh) One must read the posts to know that. As I often depend on people reading past the first sentence of things for me - I cannot cast any stones here :)

Stuff happens. My apologies.

daddyogreman
February 18th, 2021, 23:30
Not counting the extension.xml file this is the code in its entirety. Like I said - should have taken me 5 min but I'm fumble fingered and prone to typos so took me 1/2 hour :)

-- Store original ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage function so we can restore it on close
local saveencodeAdvantage = nil;

function onInit()
saveencodeAdvantage = ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage
end

function onClose()
ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage = saveencodeAdvantage;
end

Debug.console("Advantages:encodeAdvantage called")
printstack();
bADV = true;
else
bDIS = true;
end
end
saveencodeAdvantage(rRoll, bADV, bDIS);
end

UGH now that I see it I will have to repackage it in this thread and give vex a less spammy version in console!!!! DAG NAB IT!!! 35 minutes total now :(

[Update removed spammy prints - so fixed!!! See new .ext file in 2nd or 3rd post if you want the updated one]

And remember people, and .ext file is just a .zip file renamed. It has ALL the code in it visible in notepad by anyone.

Hey SilentRuin, total tangent here...
That's a neat trick saving off the original function and restoring it with onClose(). In the one and only extension I've written I took great pains in an attempt to step back into the original logic flow after my inserted code, but I generally did so with manager_xx_override and then inserting a call to the real manager within the function.

function onInit()
end

bADV = true;
else
bDIS = true;
end
end
ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage(rRoll, bADV, bDIS);
end

But that requires me tracking down anywhere the original call to ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage is made and overriding it to call my own. Wish I woulda seen this trick about a week ago. ;)

daddyogreman
February 18th, 2021, 23:38
Although looking into it, I suppose that trick only works for things that use a window?

SilentRuin
February 18th, 2021, 23:38
Hey SilentRuin, total tangent here...
That's a neat trick saving off the original function and restoring it with onClose(). In the one and only extension I've written I took great pains in an attempt to step back into the original logic flow after my inserted code, but I generally did so with manager_xx_override and then inserting a call to the real manager within the function.

function onInit()
end

bADV = true;
else
bDIS = true;
end
end
ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage(rRoll, bADV, bDIS);
end

But that requires me tracking down anywhere the original call to ActionsManager2.encodeAdvantage is made and overriding it to call my own. Wish I woulda seen this trick about a week ago. ;)

Yeah, while you can't always prevent conflict between extensions, I try to minimize the impact of my code when I can. That way if someone else overrides it the only way they can screw me up is if their load order is higher - I won't mess them up. Course, Extensions = RISK and you can't guard against what you don't control. Still that's what I do when I can. If its .xml script I use the super calls to insure I call the original code - when I can.