PDA

View Full Version : Newby needs help "summarizing" multiple rolls (Battletech Missile Hits)

Knightm4re
February 14th, 2021, 13:29
Hi Folks,

usually I play D&D on FG, but - lockdown and such - a few friends of mine and I startet playing Battletech using the CoreRPG set und improvising much. We got a basic setting "running" (most of the stuff we do manually and we don't have individual Mech-Icons) - so far it's fun. I also put in some tables to automate rolls (like "how many missiles hit when I hit with my LRM-20 launcher"). Yes, I'm the gamemaster in this setting, so it's my job to set everything up ;-)

Nor for my "problem": For those who do not know what Battletech is, it's a combat simulation for 31st century robot fights. Each machine has 8 different hit-locations and a lot of weapon-fire is exchanged. One type of weapon are missiles (long range or short range). The biggest launcher can shoot up to 20 missiles. We like to have those missiles have their own hit locations (since not all missiles tend to hit the same hit-location on the machine you are targeting). So,... say my LRM/20 launcher hits with all of its missiles, I'd have to roll 20 times on one of the several hit-location tables (which are different whether you are shooting from your target's front, side, rear and if you are shooting from above or below).

I made a tool with Excel, but even switching beween excel and FG for every time someone shoots missiles is quite bothersome.

Is there a way to let FG roll x sets of dice (usually 2d6) and make a summary of the outputs? It should look something like:

You rolled 10 hit locations and these are:
02: 0
03: 0
04: 1
05: 0
06: 2
07: 3
08: 1
09: 1
10: 0
11: 1
12: 1

That would speed things up quite a bit. I'm comfortable building tables, but I have no clue how to summarize dice rolls according to rolled numbers...

So... thank you for any and all tips you can throw my way :)

Thanks in advance,
Frank

superteddy57
February 14th, 2021, 15:12
It can. Just have to preface that it would require some coding. I would suggest unpacking 3.5e or 5e rulesets to view their code for examples. Prime ones are the Action Managers. 3.5e's scripts/manager_action_ability.lua is the best one as it lays out a simple structure to create a roll, modify it, and then report the result. For your case, the result handler will collect the roll and allow you to manipulate the chat output to something you want it to produce.

Knightm4re
February 14th, 2021, 15:27
Wow, that was super fast! Thank you for your reply, now I have something to look into!
Sounds very promising!
Again: thank you very much!