PDA

View Full Version : Character spoken languages in CoC ruleset - adding and modifying

new_vision
February 14th, 2021, 12:03
Hey,

is there a specific reason why French isn't in the list of supported languages? One of the characters in the campagn i run is from New Orleans and obviously she is able to speak French. Seems odd the a language like swahili is in the language list, but not French.

Furthermore, and this is my won incompetence :D, while being in options and going to the language windows, i, by accident, chose the drop down menu of the japanese language and chose the empty space. Now i can't choose Japanese in the drop down menus, there is no language to choose from.

Help? Help? Help?

Moon Wizard
February 15th, 2021, 03:27
You should be able to add and delete languages in the Languages dialog using either the buttons (click brown slash to edit list); or right click and use context menus. To change the name of an existing language, just click on the line, and type in the new text. Then, close the dialog when you're done.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
February 15th, 2021, 03:36
Also, I've added French to the new campaign language list for CoC 7E in the next ruleset update. It only populates for new campaigns; so you'll still need to edit to add to an existing campaign or any campaigns created before the update.

Regards,
JPG

new_vision
February 15th, 2021, 06:15
You should be able to add and delete languages in the Languages dialog using either the buttons (click brown slash to edit list); or right click and use context menus. To change the name of an existing language, just click on the line, and type in the new text. Then, close the dialog when you're done.

Regards,
JPG

Yes, i got that. The problem is not how to add a language, but to choose how it is handled/recognized (I guess) within FG. After I add a language info over to the drop-down menu and want to choose how this new language is recognized, but the drop-down menu is empty. When I am home later I can create a screenshot to illustrate the issue I mean, maybe it is just a misunderstanding.

Also - Thanks for adding the French. This is very much appreciated! ��

Moon Wizard
February 15th, 2021, 17:29
The drop-down menu is if the ruleset supports a custom font for the language (but this is only needed for made-up languages with completely different glyphs). For example, in the D&D rulesets, there are Dwarven, Elvish, Draconic, and other language fonts provided by the publisher.

They are not needed for CoC; since those are all real-world languages.

Regards,
JPG