PDA

View Full Version : Technical Question: Why is FG2 looking at my root directory?

Flynn
June 19th, 2007, 20:41
Good Afternoon, All,

For some reason, after upgrading my FG2 with the latest update, it is now looking at my root C:\ directory for the campaigns folder, the modules folder, etc.

Why is that happening? And what can I do to fix it?

With Regards,
Flynn

joshuha
June 19th, 2007, 20:50
Thats weird it should be looking at your user profile (which is different depending on if you are XP or Vista).

If you go into your registry under this HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0 you should see a value called DataDir. Is that pointed to just C:\?

Flynn
June 19th, 2007, 21:17
Thats weird it should be looking at your user profile (which is different depending on if you are XP or Vista).

If you go into your registry under this HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0 you should see a value called DataDir. Is that pointed to just C:\?

At that location, there's no key called DataDir. Thoughts?

-Flynn

joshuha
June 19th, 2007, 21:34
Something got borked in the upgrade then or it couldn't read your profile path from Windows.

If you are comfortable create a string value there called DataDir with a value of "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II" where username is your profile name on XP.

If you are Vista it's "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II".

However, if you are missing that key you may have others missing and a reinstall might be in order.

Flynn
June 19th, 2007, 21:42
I did add the key and had tried it pointing to the core directory and things started working. So it needs to point to my application data instead?

I came into FG2 through the Beta testing, so should I remove the app and reinstall? Could that be part of it?

-Flynn

Flynn
June 19th, 2007, 21:59
Okay, I've reinstalled, and my DataDir points to the folder you suggested. The app seems a little buggy right now, but maybe it's because of the modules I'm looking at that may have been created under the FG2 Beta.

Thanks,
Flynn

joshuha
June 19th, 2007, 22:19
Yeah a lot of things changes since the beta including some functions.

Best thing would be to update to newest version and copy and paste your changes and compare to whats there.

Griogre
June 20th, 2007, 02:33
On of the changes from beta to FG2 release was making FG2 Vista Compatible. This is probably the cause of your problems. Just backup your campaigns and unistall the beta and reinstall FG2. Then go to your start bar -> FG2 -> Application Data that will pop your data directory go to the campaigns folder and drop in you campaigns.

phantomwhale
September 10th, 2007, 01:06
An option to configure the DataDir would be good - I don't really like to keep many thing in my "user profile".

Until then, I guess I can registry hack it?

Griogre
September 10th, 2007, 07:59
No reason why you couldn't change the keys - but more and more programs are going to be using data apps in the future.

phantomwhale
September 10th, 2007, 10:20
For me, the core problem is that of Microsoft forcing the data apps dir to be on the C drive without some dodgy registry hacking or kludges to move it.

I want all my program install to be on D drive, and all my data to be on E drive. That way I image C drive for emergency restore, I rarely image D drive (as it can simply be reinstalled) and I backup E drive daily (as I like my data :)

So admittedly I should bite the bullet and registry hack the whole user "documents and settings" dir onto another drive, but it's looking like it could be painful...

Griogre
September 10th, 2007, 19:25
You might Google around. I am pretty sure I've seen somewhere there is a setting in Windows somewhere that sets where the data apps folder is. This would be a pretty common need in some businesses. The trick is finding it. :p That would be beat having to hack every app.