PDA

View Full Version : Map Auto Rotate ???

woodscanner
February 11th, 2021, 17:07
Hi, this seems weird.
5 battlemaps, several needed rotation to fix consistent north/south. Did so in Photos, saved with new names in correct orientation in a new folder in FGU Data.
All look fine in folder, but when I open in Assets they are back in the original orientation!
Check the .jpg below - the upper images are in the FGU data folder, the lower as they appear in Fantasy Grounds Assets.
I know the size is a bit tricky, but you can see 2/3/4 should be 180 and 5 should be 90 degrees rotated - but they just aren't!
Opened/closed FGU, refreshed assets.
Baffled :-(

Kelrugem
February 11th, 2021, 17:14
Hi, this seems weird.
5 battlemaps, several needed rotation to fix consistent north/south. Did so in Photos, saved with new names in correct orientation in a new folder in FGU Data.
All look fine in folder, but when I open in Assets they are back in the original orientation!
Check the .jpg below - the upper images are in the FGU data folder, the lower as they appear in Fantasy Grounds Assets.
I know the size is a bit tricky, but you can see 2/3/4 should be 180 and 5 should be 90 degrees rotated - but they just aren't!
Opened/closed FGU, refreshed assets.
Baffled :-(

Not sure about your specific issue; but as a workaround you can rotate them in FGU by the way, too :)

Trenloe
February 11th, 2021, 17:21
Rotating images sometimes doesn't actually rotate the image pixel data, but flags them to display in a different rotation. FG reads raw pixel data, it doesn't use the rotation flag.

Open the image in a full blown image editor, rotate and then save.

woodscanner
February 11th, 2021, 18:31
Thank you both, Trenloe, you are as insightful as always!
Can I ask - how do you rotate maps in FGU? I looked pretty hard and couldn't find a way :-(

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2021, 18:38
Open the Image and Unlock it. Select the Layers menu and make sure the layer you want to rotate is selected and then use the various rotate buttons to rotat it however you want.

woodscanner
February 11th, 2021, 19:07
Zaccheus AND Tenloe!
Thanks both, you absolutely rock as ever.

JohnD
February 11th, 2021, 19:23
Open the Image and Unlock it. Select the Layers menu and make sure the layer you want to rotate is selected and then use the various rotate buttons to rotat it however you want.

Oh good to know this!

Trenloe
February 11th, 2021, 19:31
Rotating the map layer is very nice functionality. The gotcha is that it won't rotate any shortcut pins, nor will it relocate encounter token pre-placement. It does keep LoS in place though (thank goodness).

Nylanfs
February 11th, 2021, 21:50
If all the pins are on one layer can you switch to that layer and rotate them?

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2021, 21:58
If all the pins are on one layer can you switch to that layer and rotate them?

I don't think the pins are on a layer; they're just x;y coordinates on an image and they stay that way no matter what the map orientation is.

EllivasKram
February 12th, 2021, 17:15
Tilt the screen ;)