PDA

View Full Version : LOS calculations into infinity (Good/Bad)

EllivasKram
February 11th, 2021, 07:13
Can I ask if LOS calculations into infinity is really a good idea.

I ask as I’m DM’ing the campaign ‘DoTMM’ (Dungeon of the MadMage)

It has large level maps. In a dungeon crawl like this LOS into infinity is quite obviously being calculated. But I ask why.

Maybe some maps could be defined with a LOS calculation limit. Maybe it could be a Setting.

Even as a FGU default maybe it should be Max’d to max bow limits.

Obviously if there is no GPU utilisation advantage then maybe this is superfluous as a request. But OMG (Is it me) LOS all of a sudden seems to be if anything eating resources more than ever before over the last 12+Months. With Vision limit and lighting I fear it’s a feature most will have to turn off until our player user base refresh their H/W.

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2021, 15:14
Limiting LOS range is in works. See the thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64462-Super-Secret-Sneak-Preview-of-Lighting-and-Vision-Shhhh-don-t-tell-Carl-and-John

edit: no guarantee it will limit computation, as now each occluder will have to be determinized if it is in range of each token and light source.

EllivasKram
February 11th, 2021, 15:20
Ok so it will reduce GPU load potentially ?

That’s a good thing.

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2021, 15:34
Ok so it will reduce GPU load potentially ?

That’s a good thing.
Potentially, but personally I doubt it since it will require more calculation.

The human brain is great at limiting what it processes. Computers are not. A human can say, 'I'll just ignore all that stuff because it is obviously not relevant (out of range)". A computer can't. It has to say, "This token can see everything within 60 feet. Is this occluder within 60? How about this one? And this one?" It has to calculate (to some degree, there are ways to limit the difficulty of the calculation) the distance to each and every element.

Now, if you use the mask in combination to LOS, FGU might reduce the calculations (since it can do a one time calculation as to which elements are inside and outside the mask). But, I have no idea if such an approach has been implemented.

Grimacus
February 13th, 2021, 22:27
LOS at level it is done in FGU, is not really a big deal for GPU. Limiting LOS is actually more costly than extending it to infinity (actually to edge of the visible area with culling)