PDA

View Full Version : Hiding information from loaded module

GuernseyMan
February 9th, 2021, 16:12
I'm working on an Achtung! Cthulhu module for SWADE.

I can get all the items, weapons, edges, hindrances etc in which is fine. My intention is to let the players still load the SWADE players guide which is workable for most things but I'm having problems with the items:

All of the items show from both the SWADE Player's Guide and my new Achtung! Cthulhu Player's Guide. In the basic Items dialog I have the option to filter by group which would let my players only see stuff from A!C. When we switch to the more detailed views; Items, Ranged, Melee etc. there is no filter and we see all of the items (even if they're not appropriate for the game).

Obviously if we don't load the SWADE Player's Guide module then we won't have access to the Edges, Hindrances etc. that are in it. How do you overcome this? Is there any way of hiding items from a module whilst allowing others to be shown. Some of the Edges have changed text so it would be nice to be able to hide the original edge and only have the new one.

GuernseyMan
February 9th, 2021, 16:29
Quick update

I've found a messy way of doing this:

1. Copy the SWADE Player's Guide module to something else, I used SWADE Player's Guide (AC).
2. Edit the definition.xml to make sure it has a different name "SWADE Player's Guide (AC)".
3. Edit the client.xml and just delete all the information that you don't want, in my case all items, weapons, armour and powers.

When back in FGU load the SWAD Player's Guide (AC) instead of the vanilla SWADE Player's Guide.

It works, and does exactly what I want but I can't help feeling that there should be an easier way!

Trenloe
February 9th, 2021, 18:04
1. Copy the SWADE Player's Guide module to something else, I used SWADE Player's Guide (AC).
2. Edit the definition.xml to make sure it has a different name "SWADE Player's Guide (AC)".
3. Edit the client.xml and just delete all the information that you don't want, in my case all items, weapons, armour and powers.
You can do that with the SWADE Player's Guide? I thought it was encrypted in the vault.

IceBear
February 9th, 2021, 18:43
Same

GuernseyMan
February 9th, 2021, 20:51
It surprised me as well. The file swade_pg.mod is no encrypted in my installation. It's in the modules folder not the vault.

I'm just happy that it worked. Gives me a lot of flexibility with the rules.

Lynnx333
February 10th, 2021, 19:49
Would it be possible to give us checkboxes to make it easier to select the stuff in the rulebooks that we want to share with the players? So we can decide which edges and which weapons do appear in the lists the players can see. No more modern weapons in a fantasy campaign. No out of context pictures from the rulebook in the image folders and so on... I am aware that I can make a copy of each entry and actually make a new playermodule this way, but I think there should be an easier way. Its not really a big problem, but it just would be nice to have an easier way to handle what the players can access from the database.

Mgrancey
February 10th, 2021, 21:03
Would it be possible to give us checkboxes to make it easier to select the stuff in the rulebooks that we want to share with the players? So we can decide which edges and which weapons do appear in the lists the players can see. No more modern weapons in a fantasy campaign. No out of context pictures from the rulebook in the image folders and so on... I am aware that I can make a copy of each entry and actually make a new playermodule this way, but I think there should be an easier way. Its not really a big problem, but it just would be nice to have an easier way to handle what the players can access from the database.

Not without a ridiculous amount of work that would be better placed on other stuff.

fubeca150
February 10th, 2021, 21:51
Not without a ridiculous amount of work that would be better placed on other stuff.

Just last week Ikael was asking for input on how we'd like this to work in the Discord channel, so it seems like it's at least being considered. I'm not able to make a value judgment on whether this or something else is more important because that's far too subjective. Having a centralized feature to do this would be something I would like very much. I can't weigh in on the ridiculousness of effort exerted, though, since it seems straightforward to me but I haven't dug into the API that deeply.

The workaround of pruning my own copy of the player's guide might be acceptable in the short term, but it gets painful when core gets updated, and won't be an option when they notice it's not in the vault anymore now that FGU is released and put it back in the vault. I did it with Hellfrost to upgrade the powers to SWADE, then got to do it again a few days later when Hellfrost got an update, then a few days after that again when bugs that were introduced with the fix were fixed... and all that after Hellfrost hadn't been updated in ages. :/

Mgrancey
February 11th, 2021, 00:02
Nah, pretty sure it would still be a lot of work, but if he's willing to work on it, that would be his choice.

Because pretty sure you are going to need to: make GUI changes so that you can manipulate what is shared and not; parser changes to sort them; template changes so that items can be hidden/revealed; then testing that against old products so they don't break them, testing to make sure working smoothly.

Personally, I would rather be able to turn off styles or genre's of items. Say disable all medieval style stuff or all modern and futuristic or Sci-fi.

fubeca150
February 11th, 2021, 01:04
Personally, I would rather be able to turn off styles or genre's of items. Say disable all medieval style stuff or all modern and futuristic or Sci-fi.

I'd be happy with that. Savaged.us has it all the way down from source, genre, category, and then down to individual items. The ultimate affected layer is the individual items - each higher level is for user convenience of "Select All" / "Deselect All" with cascade down the remainder of the tree.

It doesn't seem that doing it at the genre level is less effort than doing individual items re: the parser, templates, and testing. The main UI for managing it would be more complex, though. My initial reaction of looking at the UI level of the FG API reminds me way too strongly of WINAPI circa 1995, so I can understand wanting to avoid doing UI changes at all costs. I haven't been in the mood to touch "owner draw" code for a couple decades, so I guess I need to put up or shut up. (And that's the point that I say "yeah, the suggestion to make a derived module from the player's guide doesn't seem so bad after all".) :)

Mgrancey
February 11th, 2021, 02:40
The actual XML has tags for the different sections of items, weapons, armor in the self-populating tables, not sure how much the settings get into it on an individual basis; but for SWADE it wouldn't require any real extra coding as far as those core modules go. You can add them but you have to make sure that those tags are identical otherwise it ends up creating a new section when populating the tables.

GuernseyMan
February 11th, 2021, 12:21
I think it would be quite a chore to update anything to fix this.

For Savage Worlds specifically the only thing which prompted me to roll up my sleeves and edit the XML was the specific items lists. In the general items list it is possible to filter by source but when you get to Ranged/Melee etc there's no option to filter and it just shows the lot. Perhaps it could be changed so that that filter is persistant across the items list and all of its sub lists. Once I'd done the items the edges/hindrances etc seemed the logical next step. A good XML editor is your friend in these circumstances and I would never edit the original .mod, only copies.

I do hope that the .mods aren't put back in the vault (I didn't really use FGC too much so can't remember). They're completely useless without the ruleset anyway so I can't why they would need to be moved.

Trenloe
February 11th, 2021, 14:10
I don't have the SWADE .mod files in my modules directory, only the SWD one. I own both the SWD and SWADE rulesets. I'm guessing that the SWADE files are now in the vault, but there was a short period when they weren't and that's why some people have them.

GuernseyMan
February 11th, 2021, 16:48
I thought I would do an experiment. I wiped my data folder and downloaded everything again from scratch.

All the .mod files are there as usual, none of them are encrypted! I've attached the file listing as evidence. 43644

The only thing that's in the vault with any decent size is my Mongoose Traveller 2nd edition stuff (which isn't in the module folder). 43645

It almost looks as though it depends on the publisher whether the data is encrypted or not.

As far as I can remember it has always been like this. I have moved the installation directory from its suggested location but wouldn't imagine that being the cause.

Strange that we would have such varying setups. Mine is purchased from Smiteworks and downloaded from them, it's also the lifetime Ultimate edition. Maybe Steam does something different?

Trenloe
February 11th, 2021, 16:59
Looks like they're available in Unity (the PEGFGSWADE.dat file in the Vault is 1 KB in size, which means it's a stub and the files are in the module directory), but with FG Classic there's nothing in the /modules directory and PEGFGSWADE.dat is 7,850 KB in size. So, I'm guessing that the intention is to have this data in the vault, so don't rely on it being in the FGU modules directory for much longer. Or, I could be wrong and it's meant to be in the modules directory for both.

GuernseyMan
February 11th, 2021, 17:16
That makes sense. I'm hoping that if there is the decision to move them to the vault there will at least be some method of choosing exactly what to bring across from them. If not then it's back to the drawing board. I think I'll keep copies of the mods safe and sound for just such an eventuality.

Shame about Traveller, I was hoping to make some changes to them as well :-(