PDA

View Full Version : DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!!! Extensions users and Developers - get ready

SilentRuin
February 8th, 2021, 16:52
If you don't use extensions with FGC or FGU then you can ignore this message entirely.

I don't really get the impression that the general population realizes that on or around Feb 16 a new version of the fantasy grounds application, in TEST now, will move to LIVE. That is the version everyone gets updates and uses in general. These changes will require extensions to be updated that are impacted by some of the changes mentioned in here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65776-Beta-Release-2021-02-Ruleset-Updates) (see additional link in there for more specific details).

THAT MEANS YOUR EXTENSIONS MAY START MISBEHAVING OR GO BOOM AFTER THAT UPDATE.

Unless they are modified and updated themselves. That is supposedly for FGC and FGU as I understand it. I've been working on mine the last few days, pointing out anything I find as I go. Some extensions are not effected or barely effected. Others are blown out of the water.

I feel you need to be ready for this whether you are a user of extensions or are a developer of extensions. Some extensions you may use may no longer be supported - in which case you'd have to change them for your own personal use if they have problems.

There are posts in various parts of the forums - but I believe only the forum elite who scourer the forums on a regular basis are actually aware of this. Even putting this message in here I'm sure there will be "shock and awe" on update day and claims of "but, I didn't know this!".

This is my attempt to notify you in a more general public forum.

These updates are a good thing, you should realize, as they are needed architectural changes for things to come. No pain - no gain.

Yeah, the messenger usually gets shot - but that's ok. Won't be the first time in here when I notify info I think is relevant to community regarding extension related things :)

DM_BK
February 8th, 2021, 22:02
First I'm hearing of it...what's happening?

Moon Wizard
February 8th, 2021, 22:14
It's detailed in the Laboratory forum. There is a new set of updates coming on Feb. 16 for the rulesets that are provided with Fantasy Grounds and sold through the store.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65561-Developer-Notes-2021-02-Ruleset-Updates

Many of these changes will have an impact on extensions. I've already been working with all the ruleset developers to prepare them. I'm available to help any extension developers that need it.

Regards,
JPG

Ulric
February 8th, 2021, 22:29
First I'm hearing of it...what's happening?
These changes are positive progress that many users have been asking SW to make for several years. Some extensions will need to be updated and it's nothing to get stressed about. I've run the dev and test versions and I like what I've seen so far.

DM_BK
February 9th, 2021, 00:40
Good stuff!

I have to agree with the OP...not a part of the forum that I ever go to so I do appreciate the heads up. Make sure my ducks are in a row for any games around that period.

Jiminimonka
February 9th, 2021, 01:35
It's detailed in the Laboratory forum. There is a new set of updates coming on Feb. 16 for the rulesets that are provided with Fantasy Grounds and sold through the store.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65561-Developer-Notes-2021-02-Ruleset-Updates

Many of these changes will have an impact on extensions. I've already been working with all the ruleset developers to prepare them. I'm available to help any extension developers that need it.

Regards,
JPG

A message that opens when users do the update, like the one about not being backward compatible with previous versions, warning users that many extensions will be affected might be a good idea for this update. Because some people never visit the forums.

similarly
February 9th, 2021, 04:59
Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate it. If I have problems, I'll simply shut down the non-working extensions until they've been updated. Most of my extensions are from sources that regularly update anyway, so not anticipating a huge problem, but I don't doubt some of my extensions may have to be disabled, at least temporarily. Not a biggie, as extensions are really just convenience anyway, and not really necessary.

Larsenex
February 9th, 2021, 13:14
Thanks for the heads up. I have been using FGU for a while now and I use about 6 or 7 extensions.

Mytherus
February 11th, 2021, 00:52
Thanks for heads up i use a half dozen extensions, 4 of which i just got in the last month from dms guild..figures...lol. i was extension light for over 2 years.

They are all from very active and popular devs though so honestly I'm not worried.

I also update fg and my mods and exts regularly as habit..im a dm with a touch of ocd :).