PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantage on all ranged attacks

mclimbin
February 7th, 2021, 21:05
Hey all,
We are having a problem where all our ranged attacks are being rolled at disadvantage. Actually, that is not the case--somehow the warlocks' Eldritch Blast seems to be working correctly.
I just set up a Soul Knife character for a new player, and this is happening. I think that I probably set it up incorrectly; something about the range is probably not right. Could you all tell me what I should be doing differently?

Here is an image of the map and chat box for the Soul Knife attack:

Here is an image of the attack in the actions tab:

Thanks for the help...

Edit: I just tried to recreate the problem outside of our game, (in FGU by myself) and disadvantage is not happening now... errgh!

LordEntrails
February 7th, 2021, 22:24
Extensions?

Can't read the chat in the first screen shot, so not sure. You can also attach the GM logs using Compile Logs from the console. More info in my signature.

BaneTBC
February 8th, 2021, 07:22
Might want to check the attacker\target, if there's an effect on them that might impact you as well, things like Prone come into play. And as LordEntrails noted, addons can give you issues, range one's don't recognize walls so if an enemy is on the other side of the wall, it would still trigger an addon to treat it as a ranged attack in melee range of an enemy (this even happens with traps next to a player in this sense since the game doesn't know what it is just its an enemy).

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2021, 15:23
Most likely reason is that the player has unchecked the proficiency star in the weapon line or it's an extension that isn't working properly or interfering with normal functionality.

Zetesofos
February 8th, 2021, 16:17
I was having this same problem too, but I've been unable to isolate it. I presume it has something to do with the most recent update.

The one thing that seems a bit odd is it seemed to be only affecting one of my players - I'm in the U.S. and she is in Canda; not sure if there is a version difference that might impact it?

mclimbin
February 8th, 2021, 16:25
Thank for your help!
It looks like the problem was the extension I was using (5E Enhancer). I am not getting the disadvantage problem when I am not using that extension. Now I can go to the thread on that extension to find out if it is a problem with the extension itself, or if I am doing something wrong.

I have a related question: I set up the Soul Knife (thrown) attack myself, and it doesn't seem to be respecting the ranged limits. That is, when Ziggy (the PC) throws his soul knife from more that 60 feet, now he doesn't get disadvantage. Edit: Now that I think of it, I think that he should not be able to use Soul Knife at all at a range of more than 60 ft.

I think I set up this part of the attack wrong. Could one of you tell me what you think the syntax should look like for something that has a range of 60 feet only (nothing longer than that) and uses no ammunition?

Right now the properties are set as finesse, range 60 ft., piercing damage

LordEntrails
February 8th, 2021, 21:02
FG (core) does nothing to enforce range limits, and doesn't calculate or check range to target. I suspect what you are wanting to do is part of the 5E Enhancer extension. If so, you'll want to ask in that thread.

mclimbin
February 9th, 2021, 01:47
OK. Thanks again!