PDA

View Full Version : Please, need help with defining an effect

Lynnx333
February 7th, 2021, 09:32
Hi everyone,

I tried to figure this out on my own, using the "Expression Legend for Effects" on the help site or Wiki, but I am stuck for hours already. I am just dumb, or to old. Sadly my coding skills are so bad, I barely understood BASIC back in my youth ;) and I seem to be stuck in the thought pattern of IF... THEN...

Well. My problem, I do have a player with a Sorcerer, who has an affinity to "Shadows"... the system does count powers as attacks and applies the global Illumination malus, to her Powers. Which makes no sense in her case. So to manually adjust the -2/-4 every time she is casting shadow magic in the shadows, is a bit cumbersome.

I thought an effect for her would be nice but I can't figure out how to do it.

The thing is I would like to give the group a global effect for the Illumination, but exclude her casting of spells from this modification.

I tried something like this [>Sorcery Ignore #Illumination] ; but it does nothing.
Or this [Ignore #Illumination] ; works but now she can shoot with her bow in total darkness, too. Which is a nice thing but not what was intended.

I hope it is understandable what I try to do, as my english is not so good.
It would be nice if someone could point me to a site where I can find more info how to tackle this problem, or perhaps someone even knows how to solve this.

Thank you in advance for any help.

IceBear
February 7th, 2021, 16:04
I'm not great with Effects, but Low Light Vision is coded as [Ignore #Dim #Dark] Maybe try something like that? I'm not sure if you can key it to the specific case of casting a spell. What you might need to do is have the player put that effect on their hotbar and then drag it to themselves whenever they cast. I'm not sure if they are supposed to always be ignoring darkness or just when they cast spells - I couldn't quite follow the request - sorry. If it's always, you could just drag Low Light Vision from the Racial Abilities to the character

Mike Serfass
February 7th, 2021, 17:24
Where an effect is added matters.
If I understand, you want illumination penalties ignored only when the sorcerer is casting a spell with the shadow trapping.
To do this, open the power's attack info by right clicking on the power and selecting the Attack Info radial button.
Type the effect [>Ignore #Illumination] in the field just below Keywords (where you typed Shadow). The > is important.
The effect will affect just that power. Note that it won't apply to sub-powers. You'll have to add this effect to them as well.

Lynnx333
February 7th, 2021, 20:11
Thank you, Mike. That did it. Now it works as I had imagined it. I tried to put it in the combat tracker or under special abilities for the character and it drove me nuts. I would never had thought of putting it in the Powers descriptions.

And also thanks to your idea, IceBear.