PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Fantasy Grounds DMs - Sign up to Run D&D AL at GaryCon TODAY

viviolay
February 7th, 2021, 05:26
Fantasy Grounds is putting out the Call for Dungeon Masters for GaryCon's D&D Adventurers League!

As a Garycon sponsor this year, we would love more DMs to help represent the joy of gaming with Fantasy Grounds while running games for D&D Adventurers League (Wizard of the Coast's Official Organized Play Campaign).

All Fantasy Grounds AL DMs will receive a Thank-You Reward from Fantasy Grounds and all GaryCon badges come with additional Digital Goodies including a 3 month Ultimate License for FG Unity! DM Trainings and other resources will also be made available leading up to the con :)

Fantasy Grounds partner Jasper's Game day will also be providing Rerolls, AL certs, and hosting tables of their new adventure at GaryCon this year.
Make great memories, meet new friends, and enjoy days of digital gaming with Fantasy Grounds.

Long URL Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mJt30h7nEDpWtqnsDN5o0R5Erx3LJrwkfDtBGD4QlpU/edit?usp=sharing

https://i.imgur.com/1XACGAI.jpg

damned
February 7th, 2021, 11:33
It seems you have to buy a badge ($20 and up) to run a session at GaryCon?

Stuart
February 7th, 2021, 14:54
Certainly looks like it ... :confused: Not sure how that is going to attract GMs for a virtual convention.

LordEntrails
February 7th, 2021, 18:41
It seems you have to buy a badge ($20 and up) to run a session at GaryCon?
Yes, Viv confirmed that on Reddit.

viviolay
February 7th, 2021, 21:37
Certainly looks like it ... :confused: Not sure how that is going to attract GMs for a virtual convention.

That's a fair criticism - but it's important to point out a badge for GaryCon gives you access to the WHOLE convention - not just the AL games. You can participate in other events, play, etc. AL is just one portion of it (the portion I am dealing with and with which I've included additional rewards on top of what comes with the badge as listed in the link)

I also listed some of the stuff you receive for purchasing a badge in GaryCon in the link thanks to Fantasy grounds being one of the sponsors - 3 months of a Unity Subscription for example along with other things.

If you look at it as buying a badge to run a game for a specific event (AL) - it may not be worth it for you.

If you look at it as buying a badge to participate in a multi-day convention, receive a digital goodie bag including items that typically cost more than $20, and receive additional rewards (also listed in the link) for specifically running at least one Adventurers League game at the event, and hopefully help grow the FG community at conventions - then you'll probably see more value in it.

GregRex
February 9th, 2021, 00:20
[...]hopefully help grow the FG community at conventions

This! FG is regularly outnumbered at online events by its competitors 10 to 1.

There will be other AL DM's who are paying to run their games using Roll20, Foundry, Zoom, etc. At least SmiteWorks is providing small incentives to their community members for participating in Viviolay's program. :)

JohnD
February 9th, 2021, 00:57
You should allow people to DM games without a badge IMO (or provide a discount).

The $50 badge gets us the Trouble at Loch Jineeva tournament module... which is nice. But requiring people to pay $20 or $50 if all they want to do is provide their time services and expertise in FG to run a game for people... IMO that's a head scratcher.

GregRex
February 9th, 2021, 03:09
It's GaryCons decision to make the DM’s pay, not SmiteWorks. Viviolay is just providing awareness and incentives to offset the cost incurred to participate as a AL DM at the convention.

JohnD
February 9th, 2021, 17:24
It's GaryCons decision to make the DM’s pay, not SmiteWorks. Viviolay is just providing awareness and incentives to offset the cost incurred to participate as a AL DM at the convention.

I understand all that; at the same time, feedback is important one hopes.

GregRex
February 9th, 2021, 17:37
You should allow people to DM games without a badge IMO (or provide a discount).

Sorry about that John, the directness of the quote seemed to me to be directed at the OP as if she were in control of the pricing model. I was probably overreacting and misinterpreted your intent.

SilentRuin
February 9th, 2021, 20:02
Pretty sure the pricing is because of the demand to actually play and be a D&D given it was the family of Gary Gygax running this for a while now - not sure its that one but I think it is. Correct me if I'm wrong. D&D prestige CON type of thing.

GregRex
February 9th, 2021, 20:29
It is, it's normally a pretty big con when run as a physical event. Luke Gygax is a part of it and has panels and stuff.

viviolay
March 2nd, 2021, 01:07
If you're a GaryCon AL DM and sent me an email with your schedule, I sent out your DMsGuild Reward Certificate. If you haven't had a chance yet or I missed you by mistake, feel free to email me at [email protected] so I can make sure you get ur thank-you