PDA

View Full Version : Classic vs Unity/State of Unity

MaxAstro
February 5th, 2021, 21:48
I've been using FGC to run my Age of Ashes campaign for the past year. That just finished, and I'm now shortly going to be looking at running Abomination Vaults. As part of prepping for that, I'm investigating if it might be worth making the transition to FGU. I remember the last time I looked into it (quite a while ago) it seemed like Ultimate was still somewhat rough around the edges.

How is it nowadays? Are there any major features in Classic that aren't available in Ultimate yet? What does the learning curve look like going from one to the other? I've heard that Ultimate has line of sight functionality, and that's exciting; other then that are there new features that make Ultimate well suited to PF2e compared to Classic?

EDIT: As mentioned below, I meant Unity, not Ultimate. D'oh.

Zacchaeus
February 5th, 2021, 21:58
I assume you mean Classic Vs Unity?

If so Unity is now well out of Beta and functioning normally. Unity has many features that Classic doesn't mainly map making tools, Line of Sight and easier connection. And Dynamic lighting is just around the coroner.

MaxAstro
February 5th, 2021, 22:22
Yes I mean Unity, sorry, I got confused with the Ultimate license, which I actually already have. XD

JesterOC
February 5th, 2021, 22:43
Unity has come a long way. I have not played on classic for months now so it is hard to compare the speeds between the two. All I can say that in the begining when you pulled up the spell section, or the feats Classic was fairly quick and Unity was very slow. Over the months they slowly improved the speed. It now is quite peppy. Though I can't say for sure if it is faster than Classic or just good enough for me not to care.

But I must say that LOS on maps are a game changer. I have had several players who lost track of their own comrades when they were not paying attention to where they were sneaking off to. Can't wait for illumination and darkvision to be added to the mix.

Milke
February 6th, 2021, 09:37
Line of sight is the #1 best thing about Unity. It's super cool.

Skellan
February 6th, 2021, 09:47
I have switched to Unity and it is running well. I had an issue but that seemed to have been caused by an extension I was running. I would recommend making the switch.

lostsanityreturned
February 6th, 2021, 20:44
I have found that Unity has major slowdown issues the further into a campaign you get with spellcasters, it also has random hickups/hitches every so often.
You can test the latter by drawing a spiral with the drawing or paint tool. You will get flat spots when it hitches.

I have replicated this issue on quite a number of unique systems now and it presents the same across the board.
https://youtu.be/0U8t_iU2m44

It has zero impact on me as a GM but for the players it does impact using their character sheet is pretty nightmarish (the slowdown is limited to the sheet and things being dragged from the sheet btw, everything else works fine even when the sheet is open to that page).

MaxAstro
February 6th, 2021, 21:42
That's unfortunate to hear; my players have already been having lag/slowdown issues with Classic and I was hoping Unity might actually be faster for them.

*Neuro*
February 11th, 2021, 09:02
I own both FG Classic Ultimate and FG Unity Ultimate. reading what is above at this point I will delay passing to FH Unity for 6 months or so.

Even if dynamic lighting comes out, I have a party of 13th level.

Dynamic lighting and LOS is nice but if the price to pay is sluggyness I will then pass to UNITY in the next campaign. Some feedback from some other fellows 5E GM would be appreciated. Thanks

lostsanityreturned
February 11th, 2021, 11:40
5e is sluggish for high level spellcasters (well except warlocks). Sorcerers hit somewhere in the middle but druids, clerics and wizards suffer quite a bit in the action tab.

It only hurts those characters though and everything that isn't that tab will run at full speed. Hopefully we hear something from smiteworks suggesting that they are working on a fix in the near future. I expect they have their hands mostly tied with the current changes they are working on.

hawkwind
February 11th, 2021, 12:31
Im running Age of Ashes book 5 at the moment on Unity and its fine during play but the client tends to freeze if left unattended for any length of time. Might be an issue with my under spec computer

Surge
February 11th, 2021, 13:28
My group had to abandon our game many months ago because of the constant lock ups that we ended up running into. Sadly.

I'm going to try and convince them to dive back into it in a couple of months after the dynamic vision and light sources are introduced, with some time for patches to iron everything out. Fingers crossed the sources of the lock ups has been resolved since.

Hykim
February 12th, 2021, 18:06
Unfortunately one of my players is on an old laptop which has no problems with Classic, but it doesn't seem to be able to do more than render a black screen for maps in Unity. Waiting until she upgrades her laptop to give Unity another try.

dsaraujo
February 14th, 2021, 02:31
Running Book 3 of Age of Ashes (almost at the end, Chapter 3), and played Books 2 and 3 in Unity. No general complains, overall a better experience than Book 1 on Classic.