PDA

View Full Version : Issue loading maps and images in FGC...

njhiker
February 4th, 2021, 02:34
My players have all done the 'nuke option' while loading to purge their caches, and the first map/image loads just fine. After that, no images/maps will load, it just says 'loading'. No idea what to do from here. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

LordEntrails
February 4th, 2021, 04:11
How large are your images? File size? Pixel Size? File names? File Format?

Most of the time this issue is caused because the images are too large. Also be aware that FGC network transfer speeds are relatively slow, and large images can take a very long time (30 minutes) to load to multiple players. All depends upon image file size and your upload speed (not download speed).

njhiker
February 4th, 2021, 04:27
How large are your images? File size? Pixel Size? File names? File Format?

Most of the time this issue is caused because the images are too large. Also be aware that FGC network transfer speeds are relatively slow, and large images can take a very long time (30 minutes) to load to multiple players. All depends upon image file size and your upload speed (not download speed).

With maps I create myself, it's either a .jpeg or .png file that I keep to a resolution of (at most) 1999x1999 - I remember reading somewhere that with FGC 2000 pixels on a side is about the max. I try to keep it to 1500 x 1500 though.

File names I usually rename to a short description of the encounter, and toggle the 'unidentify' button.

I tried having each player do the 'nuke' button upon logging in, and then deleted some old campaigns I've been storing within FG. I have about 3000 hrs in game over the life of it, so there are a lot of image files floating around in there. I then tried the /flushdb command on my side of things, and that seems to have worked for now, although I'm not sure if this was a temp solution or just putting a band aid over some of the symptoms.

Thanks for looking out!

LordEntrails
February 4th, 2021, 05:16
You probably had too many images (including tokens) shared. FGC clients actually open all shared images in the background. This means for a campaign that has been running a long time, clients will start hitting the 32bit process size limits (of around 3GB). You will need to periodically unshare images that are no longer needed to prevent this, or do the indiscriminate /flushdb command to unshare everything.