PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Dramatic Tasks

Niles
February 2nd, 2021, 21:12
I'm trying to understand Dramatic Tasks. I clicked on Dramatic Tasks in combat tracker. Why do I need to deal a new turn card for the character attempting the dramatic task each round? Can't they go in the order they were already given when I deal action cards to all the players? When the new turn card comes up, do I use that new turn card as their order in the round instead of the one already dealt them? Thanks for any info!

ddbrown30
February 2nd, 2021, 22:04
I'm still pretty new to the system, but the rules for dramatic tasks state that action cards are dealt as usual. While it's not explicitly stated, this would also imply that any character that would normally get multiple cards is given those extra cards as normal. The logic in Fantasy Grounds is just following the rules.

Niles
February 2nd, 2021, 22:51
I'm still pretty new to the system, but the rules for dramatic tasks state that action cards are dealt as usual. While it's not explicitly stated, this would also imply that any character that would normally get multiple cards is given those extra cards as normal. The logic in Fantasy Grounds is just following the rules.

Thanks. I was just wondering because in combat tracker, the deal cards icon appears like you're supposed to deal the person doing the dramatic task a new card each round. But that person also has the action card he was already dealt, so I was wondering which one takes precedence.

Mgrancey
February 3rd, 2021, 03:08
As far as I know, and the way I have been playing, is that they still get their multiple cards: reasons include the fact that there is Jokers ,bennies all around and a +2 bonus; Calculating (bonus for acting at 5 or lower) to take into consideration; and COMPLICATIONS, see page 123 in SWADE.

COMPLICATIONS: Summary, something for character has gone wrong and rolls are made at a -2 Penalty; Failures are MUCH worse. Anyone who acts on a CLUB during a dramatic task will face a complication during that round of actions, some settings or situations will even have a chart of random specific Complications.

Depending on your comfort and creativity you may even make the complication as something else, I have done Quick Combats or just Tests vs GM/NPC during a Dramatic Task as complications with consequences if they failed.

Summary: The simple is something went wrong for a player and their roll is penalized as a result. So if you leave cards as is, Jokers and Complications will stay on same people. Also some Hindrances will kick off depending on their Action card.

You don't have to force players to act in card order though if not needing to do specific actions in a specific order, it is useful to help keep things straight rather than having everyone speaking/acting at once.

I would make a player wanting to benefit from their Calculating Edge, make them act appropriately to get benefit, waiting to people with higher cards to have acted then going after anyone with a 6 or higher, ignoring Jokers.