PDA

View Full Version : Throwing d6s to Show No. of Successes 4+

TimSmyth
February 1st, 2021, 23:56
Hi, gang! Not sure how to do this, but I'm creating a Character Sheet for an RPG my friend created called Residuum, and it has a couple of unique rolls and I need some advice:

Whenever you make an attack, you roll up to six d6s and every result of 4 or more is a hit.

I'm sure in the catalog of available rolls I can find something like this, but here's the difficult part.

Your character gets Bonus Attack Die, which you roll to replace any of your other rolls, basically like a drop the lowest system.

If I was a character with 3 Bonus Attack Die attacking three times, I'd be rolling six d6s, dropping the lowest 3 dice, and checking to see how many of the remaining dice were 4 or more.

As it stands for my character with 3 Bonus Attack Die, I'm rolling one attack using /rolld 4d6x(a) with the 3 from the BAD kept in a linked field, but then this just shoots out the results and I check myself to see how many times I beat 4+.

Y'all are the masters so I wanted to check and see if you could help me come up with a more effective way of rolling this.

How would you do this?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

damned
February 2nd, 2021, 00:06
Im not sure I have your mechanic all understood yet.
How did you get to 6 dice?
Please spell this out in more detail.

Anyway there is no roll that does everything you want but you might look at
/orderresults this will sort them high to low
/die (p1)d6s4k(p2) this will roll (p1)d6, count those over 4 in the top (p2) rolls

you can use one set of [brackets] in the string to hold some math eg
/die [(p1)+(a)]d6s4k(p2)

Actually I think that might work for you...?

TimSmyth
February 2nd, 2021, 00:22
OH the brackets!!! Yes, I think that will work

Yeah, it's confusing as hell haha. So if I was a bog standard fighter type, with no bonus attack dice and I attack once, at the table I'd roll 1d6 and see if I got 4+.

If I had 2 BAD (bonus attack dice) and I wanted to attack three times, I'd roll 5d6 (3 attacks + 2 BAD) and then I'd just keep the 3 highest results to see if I got 4+ on each.

So in the scenario above, if I rolled 5d6 and got 6, 4, 3, 1, 1, that means I hit twice.

Or if I rolled 6, 5, 5, 4, 2, I still only hit three times.

So ideally I'd like to be able to have an attack roll entry on the sheet that let's me enter the number of attacks I'd like to make (between 1-6) and then it would add the number I entered (in the case above, 3 attacks) and it would know that it should roll: /roll (number of attacks I chose + my BAD = 5)d6 and then drop (my BAD) and show me how many hit (aka 4+).

I haven't fully digested or tested what you suggested above, but I bet that could get me damn close.

Thanks!

damned
February 2nd, 2021, 00:36
you should find a variant of that last string i posted will work

TimSmyth
February 2nd, 2021, 00:38
I'll give that a try and I'm sure that'll get me there. Thanks!!!