PDA

View Full Version : Faerun mods

TommyNuke
February 1st, 2021, 20:50
Hi all, any Faerun mods out there? I have the complete Waterdeep mod from DTRpg, or DMsGuild, but it's still pretty lacking for Waterdeep. Anyone out there fleshing out any other parts of Faerun and want to trade some work? I'm working on fleshing out every shop, temple, location in Waterdeep using ForgottenRealms wiki and any other source of lore and making up what I can't find. I also have Triboar and Daggerford nearly done. NPCs, God's, Shops with inventory... everything inter linked. Anything like this out there for other locations? Something like the ForgottenRealms wiki but a mod?

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2021, 21:18
Welcome to FG.

No there's nothing like this out there (unless there's stuff on the DMsGuild). The reason would be copywrite - since none of this information can be distributed. You can create it for your own use but can't distribute it to anyone else.

TommyNuke
February 1st, 2021, 22:00
I understand there's copyright concerns, but are there any Forgotten Realms DM/GMs that would like to collaborate on personal use? If this isn't the best place to post let me know and I'll take it down.

And not knowing how copyright works, how does the ForgottenRealms wiki get away with what they post? Wouldn't the same CC-BY-SA license cover a mod using that info?

Zacchaeus
February 1st, 2021, 23:12
I don’t know what the position is re the wiki you refer to. My only concern is the forums here and we will not allow sharing on the forums of copyright material.

TommyNuke
February 1st, 2021, 23:26
Do you want me to remove the post?

What is the proper way to see if any other GM/DMs want to collaborate on creating content?

Griogre
February 2nd, 2021, 05:34
For the Wiki, most companies have a policy for "fan websites" that allows more expansive use of their IP as long as it is non-commercial. An FG mod doesn't fall in that type of category since it could be something you sell on DMsGuild.

TommyNuke
February 2nd, 2021, 05:44
Just because something could be sold doesn't mean it would violate IP rights... being a mod would absolutely not make it fall in another category...that's not how IP works... if you want the post removed remove it. Nothing about this thread is intended to violate copyright, but you moderators certainly seem to have taken offense... there's several posts by you all that have links to free resources which have CC license or ogl content... the FGU community was great until now. Severely disappointed.

LordEntrails
February 2nd, 2021, 06:16
Wizards has in the last few years published a Fan Content Policy. It is very generous, imo. And allows you to distribute fan created content. You could not take the old previous editions books and just convert them, but you could create new stuff based upon the old and use otherwise protected content. See; https://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy

But no, other than the mods on the DMsGuild like the one from Jason, there isn't anything else I'm aware of.

Griogre
February 2nd, 2021, 09:58
Just because something could be sold doesn't mean it would violate IP rights... being a mod would absolutely not make it fall in another category...that's not how IP works... if you want the post removed remove it. Nothing about this thread is intended to violate copyright, but you moderators certainly seem to have taken offense... there's several posts by you all that have links to free resources which have CC license or ogl content... the FGU community was great until now. Severely disappointed.

Correct just because it could be sold doesn't mean it violates IP, I was just answering why the wiki was different. I was referring to the fact you could sell something like that on the DMsGuild and I would encourage to do so since you are putting a lot of work into that and probably others would be interested.

Kelrugem
February 2nd, 2021, 22:00

No-one took offense :) People just answer about copyright, that is no attack towards you. But you seem to feel attacked because you think it is about removing your post, which it isn't; you didn't upload anything copyright-related, so, everything's fine with what you wrote :) Just a discussion about what can or cannot be shared