PDA

View Full Version : New to CC ...

Noonien
February 1st, 2021, 19:19
Dear all,

just started with CC and created a 1st char.
As it seems, handbook does really not explaon everything, or, I dont find everything in it :)

Questions:
- What does Tch and SR mean ?
- Why is my DEX 13 , but in combat sheet its 15 ?

More questions to come for sure :)

Trenloe
February 1st, 2021, 19:44
Tch = Touch AC
SR = Spell Resistance (kinda like an AC for spells)
"-Dex" shows the AC without Dex, it's not listing your Dex.

Noonien
February 1st, 2021, 19:56
Thx a lot, understood !

Noonien
February 1st, 2021, 20:20
I will just use this thread to ask more of my noob questions.

Question:
- In monster description there is "Treasure" and a number or NIL. Does this mean when for example Treasure =1 that I have to roll in treasure table "4.1 Potions" from player handbook for the treasure ? If so, this treasure refers to a stack of this monsters as displayed in "#encountered" ?

Trenloe
February 1st, 2021, 20:33
- In monster description there is "Treasure" and a number or NIL. Does this mean when for example Treasure =1 that I have to roll in treasure table "4.1 Potions" from player handbook for the treasure ? If so, this treasure refers to a stack of this monsters as displayed in "#encountered" ?
See "TABLE 1.0: TREASURE" in the Monsters & Treasure "Reference Manual" for the various "% to have" and what might be found for the various treasure types.

Talyn
February 1st, 2021, 20:52
Spell Resistance is discussed in The Castle Keeper & The Game chapter and has it's own page. The TL;DR is that if a spell has Spell Resist: yes (many are 'no') then that's where the SR roll is applied. All creatures have a default SR of 1 (the ruleset defaults to 0 so watch that one). The caster must make a SR check 1d20 and roll equal or higher to the 'victim' Spell Resist. (It's almost like a sort of reverse saving throw.) If caster rolls less than SR, the spell is resisted and has no effect. If the caster beats the SR though, the SR effects are applied first then the victim rolls a saving throw.

Touch Attack is described in that same chapter, at the bottom of the Unarmed Combat page. Basically for a touch attack your armor is not applied and the defender has a "touch AC" of 10 + dexterity modifiers. Monsters are just AC 10.

Noonien
February 2nd, 2021, 20:11
Next question:
Armor -->
Scale mail includes leather coif and has AC 4.
Does this mean that scale mail + leather coif together is ac4 or that I get an leather coif for free when buying scale mail and add additional +1 ac for the helmet. So in complete Ac5
If so, could I also buy a for example normal helmet that has ac5 and wear this together with scale mail so that I have AC4+AC5 = AC9 ?

Talyn
February 2nd, 2021, 20:49
The AC would just be 4 unless it's a called shot (or just narratively, however you choose) to the head, and only then does the extra +1 AC come into play. Again, check the Players Handbook in the same chapter as above :) the page is called Armor Class and goes into all that, and shields as well.

You may also be interested in grabbing the 7th printing (most current) Players Handbook PDF from the TLG Store (https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/Players-Handbook-7th-Printing-Digital/p/89198194) -- it's been free since the pandemic started and that's a great way to have a free official PDF for yourself and your friends to refer to outside of Fantasy Grounds.

Noonien
February 3rd, 2021, 18:42
Thx ,and PDf downloaded and read :)

New Question:
Is there a way that I can edit the players handbook or parts of it ?
For example I want to translate abilities, so that the people in our group can read in diffrent language.

Noonien
February 3rd, 2021, 19:14

Talyn
February 3rd, 2021, 20:28
Thx ,and PDf downloaded and read :)

New Question:
Is there a way that I can edit the players handbook or parts of it ?
For example I want to translate abilities, so that the people in our group can read in diffrent language.

Per policy, all "rulebooks" (they're called "reference modules" in FG lingo) are read-only and reference manuals are static by nature anyway, so you wouldn't be able to edit that. However, you could make local copies of each class by opening the master Classes window, grab a class and drop it right back into that window. The new copy will be editable so you can change the language there. (That's true of all record types, and that's how all bestiaries are intended to be used by GMs to create encounters.) You could then export (either with the export button or the /export chat command) as a Player Module that your players would be able to load themselves and use that in lieu of the Players Handbook.

Noonien
February 4th, 2021, 20:55
Got it thx.

New question:
When attacking with Spell, in DD5E I had a damage symbol and attack roll for my spells that I could drag and drop to opponent on map.
Do I need to do spell damage and attack in C&C totally manually, so roll damage and then master to add it to wounds ?

JohnD
February 4th, 2021, 21:35
Got it thx.

New question:
When attacking with Spell, in DD5E I had a damage symbol and attack roll for my spells that I could drag and drop to opponent on map.
Do I need to do spell damage and attack in C&C totally manually, so roll damage and then master to add it to wounds ?

The C&C ruleset is not so feature rich as the 5e ruleset (or the AD&D Classics ruleset). As a work around, you can make any damage dealing spell a "weapon" on your Combat tab (for a PC) or in the list of attacks (for an NPC) and work it that way.

Noonien
February 4th, 2021, 21:42
Thx a lot. No need to do this, my group and me love it that not everything is fully automated.
For us, C&C is in only 1 week more fantasy rpg than 5e in 1 year :)
What i have notices from the very 1st hour on when we started creating the chars, the players identify much more with their chars than they ever did in 5e.
Feels much closer for us to pen&paper DD BECMI than playing DD5e.
For us, it seems C&C is the right choice.

More questions to come ... :)