PDA

View Full Version : Easiest FGU game system

Noonien
January 31st, 2021, 21:01
Hi all !

I am playing (with my group) D&D 1st edition since 1979...yes we are a bit older :)
We love the uncomplicated system but in times of Corona, we changed to FGU instead of real Pen&Paper.
Since 1 year we are now playing DD5e, but we dont like that every char has multiple attacks or actions each round, react, prepare blabla....
DD 1st Edition was great fun for us, just one attack and thats it :)
Is there any game system for FGU that comes closer to DD 1st edition than 5e ?
Should be fantasy setting, not space, western or something else :)

LordEntrails
January 31st, 2021, 21:12
D&D Classic is 2e/1e. I think their is an extension that converts the Classic Ruleset from 2E to 1E. There is also official content for the ruleset.

Though it's been a lot of decades since I played AD&D (1E) I don't remember it being any simpler than 5E. There is also Castles and Crusades that is a retro clone, no idea about the rules though.

damned
February 1st, 2021, 01:18
I agree that 1E/2E is not simpler than 5E.
But it is what you know so may be easier for you to run...

wndrngdru
February 1st, 2021, 03:27
1979 huh? Are you playing the Red and Blue boxed set rules or the pamphlet-sized original game?
I would just load up the CoreRPG ruleset and rock-n-roll old school. Who needs automation?

We didn't have no fancy pre-printed character sheet, we made ours on lined notebook paper.

You can see David go over the Core RPG ruleset here: https://youtu.be/_sQeiJ0Rl6Y
Note that he's demoing on FG Classic. Some of the things he covers have been deprecated or moved to other tools in FGU.

Core can do quite a bit as long as you're willing to go without all the automation. You could easily play Yahtzee in Core if you wanted to.

Griogre
February 1st, 2021, 04:16
There's also no reason you couldn't use the 5E ruleset to play 1E unless you really miss THAC0. I'd suggest you explore the 1 and 2E content and see if that would work for you. Otherwise CoreRPG or MoreCore would work fine.

Noonien
February 1st, 2021, 08:11
Sorry, seems my wording was wrong.
I didnt mean AD&D 1st edition, I wanted to refer to the original red, blue, black and so on boxes, think they are also called BECMI (basis, expert, master ...).
So yes wndrngdru, you are right and interepted 1979 the right way :)
If only this ruleset would be available for FGU, that would be perfect hehe...
But thanks for your ideas to have a look at corerules and maybe castles and crusaders,will do so.
What about rolemaster ? Also as complex as 5e ?
With complex I only mean the number of actions a char can have each round, thats the only thing we dont like on 5e, else it is really nice.

damned
February 1st, 2021, 08:49
The simplest path forward IMO would be to reduce the extra attacks and perhaps increase the To Hit and Damage bonuses instead?

Noonien
February 1st, 2021, 08:54
We also thought about this possibility damned, but think this would ruin the balance of the game, not sure.
Will check other systems and then decide.

Trenloe
February 1st, 2021, 09:54
What about rolemaster ?
More complex.

As mentioned, have a look at Castles and Crusades. Quickstart here: https://trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf And the FG ruleset (comes with the Players Handbook, an adventure, and the Monsters and Treasures book) is a steal at $9.99 in the store: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=DGA045

Just be aware that most FG rulesets don't have anywhere near the same level of automation as the 5e ruleset.

Noonien
February 1st, 2021, 10:32
Thx a lot Trenloe.
Think will buy the Ruleset you linked here.
From reading the PDf you linked, it seems much more D&D BECMI than DD5e.
If not everything is automated, thats fine for us, as long as the adventure maps support FGU (so the automatic view what a char can see or not).
Not having skills is great, my players didnt use them anyway hehe, and from a 1st look for me it seems all more basically instead of super hero chars.
And important for one of us in group: Rogue seems to be classic rogue, we didnt like the DD5e rogue.
So will check out this evening and see if it fits for us.

Trenloe
February 1st, 2021, 11:02
If not everything is automated, thats fine for us, as long as the adventure maps support FGU (so the automatic view what a char can see or not).
I don't think any of the C&C adventures in the store come with Line of Sight pre-built - look for the "LoS" icon. But you can always add them in yourself. Or you can run other adventures that have LoS, using the Universal Modules extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension) to allow you to load modules written for other systems, but you'll need to substitute monsters/NPCs, items, etc..