PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack

Noonien
January 31st, 2021, 07:38
Dear all,

A question related to sneak attack.
Sneak attack description:
"Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack"
It does not say "once in your turn.." so my question is:
Lets say I am the 1st in initiative in a new round and I hit an opponent with my bow.
Around this opponent there are 1 or 2 more opponents within 5 feet range.
So I can do a sneak attack.
The round proceeds and now its this opponents turn.
May I hit him again, as it is a new turn (same round) if there are still other opponents within 5 feet range or I have advantage on him because I used "hide" as bonus action after I was hitting him in my turn ?
If so, the max of my attacks per round would be: Attack + Sneak Attack (my turn) + sneak attack (his turn), or is it even each turn an opponent is taking action as long as I am still having advantage or there are opponents within 5 feets range of him ?
If the last one is right and there would be 5 other opponents then I would be able to attack him with sneak attack 6 times a round (1 sneak attack in my turn and 1 in each opponents turn) ?
But this would also mean that I could also shoot when group members have theit turn...this would mean I am a gattling gun lol :)
Please help me to sort this out.

BaneTBC
January 31st, 2021, 08:07
The only way for you to attack an opponent outside your turn in the round would be basically getting to use your reaction (attack of opportunity, Sentinel Feat where you would use your reaction, et al). So at best, you would be able to utilize Sneak Attack twice during the same round.

Noonien
January 31st, 2021, 08:18
Understood, thanks !

Milmoor
January 31st, 2021, 08:53
You can use sneak attack even more often in a round. Once on your reaction before your turn, once from your turn, and once from your reaction which reset when your turn started. So three times, and even more if friendly fighters use their Commanding Strike. Since that is on a different turn, Sneak Attack is applicable again. There while quite probably be more routes to do something similar.

Dynme
February 2nd, 2021, 02:54
You can use sneak attack even more often in a round. Once on your reaction before your turn, once from your turn, and once from your reaction which reset when your turn started. So three times, and even more if friendly fighters use their Commanding Strike. Since that is on a different turn, Sneak Attack is applicable again. There while quite probably be more routes to do something similar.

Commander's Strike uses your reaction. And really, aside from the first round, you're looking at twice per round (your turn and your reaction).

Milmoor
February 2nd, 2021, 07:43
Commander's Strike uses your reaction. And really, aside from the first round, you're looking at twice per round (your turn and your reaction).
You are right, I completely overlooked the reaction part. I even looked it up first. Ah well, one lives and learns. And indeed, twice per round on average. But in a single round, in the correct circumstances, you can have two reactions.