PDA

View Full Version : black screen for players when moving characters

similarly
January 30th, 2021, 12:54
So, I've been using Unity since August or so, but tonight, we had a LOT of problems and weird things happening.

* When players would try to move their characters, their map would go completely black if LOS was on. Turning off LOS stopped the screen blacking out, but they still had trouble moving the characters.
* When players would try to move their characters with the mouse, the character would "snap back" into place.
I did not experience these two problems (above) but had other problems.

* We encountered lag sometimes where characters were slow to move.
* At the end of the game, two enemies suddenly moved to a different place on the map, and took on the icon AND name of one of the players. They still had the red box around the character to show them as enemies, but on my (DM) screen and at least one player's screen, they showed up as the name and face of one of the other players.

We were playing Lost Mine of Phandelver, Wave Echo Cave (steam version). I'm on FGU unity. We play almost every week and never had these problems before.

Moon Wizard
January 30th, 2021, 19:08
It sounds like lag may be playing a part in the other issues. Are you running any extensions? You might try turning those off, to see if it helps with the lag.

If you have those players connect now, do you still see the same issues with them moving tokens? Can you walk me through the exact steps for both GM and player?

While I appreciate that you encountered problems, it's often hard to translate a general report back to something we can fix/resolve.

Thanks,
JPG

similarly
January 30th, 2021, 23:25
It sounds like lag may be playing a part in the other issues. Are you running any extensions? You might try turning those off, to see if it helps with the lag.

If you have those players connect now, do you still see the same issues with them moving tokens? Can you walk me through the exact steps for both GM and player?

While I appreciate that you encountered problems, it's often hard to translate a general report back to something we can fix/resolve.

Thanks,
JPG

Thank you. I THINK it was a dmsguild extension that had recently updated (that I put in my extensions folder a day or so earlier) that was causing problems because it had a "classic" version and a "unity" version, and I'd inadvertently put both ext in there. I'm running quite a lot of extensions, but it hasn't been a problem before. Maybe I need to turn off the modules I'm not actively using? I have a LOT of modules as well. My worry is always "What if I need that?" but maybe I'm sort of carrying around a bag of rocks.