PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy Grounds

Calidain
January 29th, 2021, 19:14
I want to preface my post by saying:
1. No I haven't read the FAQ or skimmed through these forums looking for all the answers. Mainly I am creating a new game for online D&D and I'm trying to find the best option in a timely manner to run an online game (due to Covid we can no longer meet in person)...something I have never done before.
2. I am in no way attacking or questioning Fantasy Grounds, I have done just sparse research and I haven't spent any money yet and I am trying to get a quick concise answer without offense to anyone.

I have the 5E Core books: Player's Handbook, The Dungeon's Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual. I also own the Starter Set and the Essnetials Kit. I also own all the books from the "A Young Adventurer's Guide" set since I have been playing with newer players. I myself have been playing since 1980, I was 10 years old when I began playing this game. The Blue box set (1978) was the first set I purchased from a hobby/game store in Mesa Arizona. I have owned almost every box set since and all of the Advanced D&D books released over the last several decades (I still have most of them). I drifted away from the game after I had my kids (an 8yr old and a 5yr old now), but watching Critical Role and other stuff on the internet began my resurgence in playing D&D.

Now here's my question:
Even though I own all these licensed products from Wizards of the Coast, if I wish to utilize the core 5E rules or any of the published modules/adventures such as the "Lost Mine of Phandelver", I must repurchase the digital versions through FG to run those campaigns and use those rule sets?
I just want to clarify before I move into making a purchase.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2021, 20:07
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

Hopefully this thread will answer most of your questions (and probably more): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

SilentRuin
January 29th, 2021, 20:16
I want to preface my post by saying:
1. No I haven't read the FAQ or skimmed through these forums looking for all the answers. Mainly I am creating a new game for online D&D and I'm trying to find the best option in a timely manner to run an online game (due to Covid we can no longer meet in person)...something I have never done before.
2. I am in no way attacking or questioning Fantasy Grounds, I have done just sparse research and I haven't spent any money yet and I am trying to get a quick concise answer without offense to anyone.

I have the 5E Core books: Player's Handbook, The Dungeon's Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual. I also own the Starter Set and the Essnetials Kit. I also own all the books from the "A Young Adventurer's Guide" set since I have been playing with newer players. I myself have been playing since 1980, I was 10 years old when I began playing this game. The Blue box set (1978) was the first set I purchased from a hobby/game store in Mesa Arizona. I have owned almost every box set since and all of the Advanced D&D books released over the last several decades (I still have most of them). I drifted away from the game after I had my kids (an 8yr old and a 5yr old now), but watching Critical Role and other stuff on the internet began my resurgence in playing D&D.

Now here's my question:
Even though I own all these licensed products from Wizards of the Coast, if I wish to utilize the core 5E rules or any of the published modules/adventures such as the "Lost Mine of Phandelver", I must repurchase the digital versions through FG to run those campaigns and use those rule sets?
I just want to clarify before I move into making a purchase.

I'm not a fan of buried answers, like some sort of treasure you have to find, given without actually answering a simple question. While the link given to you is valuable and you need to go there, the quick answer you were looking for is:

Yes, you have to buy the FG versions of the books. While a lot of rulesets (like 5E) come with an ultimate license for the host running the game - the books (data) for those rulesets have to be bought separately from FG store. And while you can create your own maps/story/etc. if you want a ready made module for one of the campaigns your familiar with (and don't want to build it yourself based on your book) then you'd have to buy that also. In FG store - or Dungeon Masters Guild site for some of the more unofficial campaigns.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2021, 20:28
A blanket "Yes, you have to buy the FG versions of the books" is a purely subjective answer. If you're running a FG adventure, that includes all the monster stats and graphics, even if the original product referenced the Monster Manual - the FG product should make it that you don't need the Monster Manual, unless you want to use some monsters from the MM that weren't in the original adventure.

@Calidain - please read and digest the thread I linked. it's been created and updated based off various feedback since it was posted 4.5 years ago. As a minimum the DM will usually need the PHB and the adventure/s they're running. They can manually input all of the required, but unless you're really, really, really strapped for cash or enjoy that thing, just buy the products - especially if you're using LoS and the product has that built in.

Also, just because you don't have a product in FG (but have the physical product) doesn't prevent you using it in your game. At its most basic, FG is a VTT that simulates playing around a table with your friends. A lot of FGs strengths come from the automation, but you don't need to run your game with lots of automation - you can always play things more like you're used to for a face-to-face game if that's what you want.

The last paragraph in the thread I linked sums it up: "In summary then, the three core rulebooks are not essential but depending on how you run your game it could make life a lot easier, give your players a host of options, give you easy access to information and rules as well as cutting prep time by a considerable amount. It is worth mentioning also that if you have the time and inclination you could add all of the information into Fantasy Grounds yourself and create your own modules for personal use."

SilentRuin
January 29th, 2021, 20:32
A blanket "Yes, you have to buy the FG versions of the books" is a purely subjective answer.

Untrue. His question was

The answer is for sure "Yes". While I agree with your expansion to the answer - it does not change the answer to the original question. Repurchasing over owning a "book" is required to have access to the book data in game (unless you created it yourself as my original answer stated). Yes.

That is the answer to his request for...

I am trying to get a quick concise answer

Trenloe
January 29th, 2021, 20:40
@Calidain - there seems to be some disagreement here - probably based off interpreting your questions differently. From my interpretation, you absolutely don't have to re-purchase everything you already own again on Fantasy Grounds - you can use products you own in your game just like you would around the table face-to-face. How much of that product you want to input into FG, and how much your free time is worth, then makes the decision on whether you should buy that product on Fantasy Grounds, or manually input info when you need it.

I suggest you read the thread I referenced. That has been specifically created based off new users asking the questions you are. If you then have questions, please come back and let us know. Try to be specific in what you're looking to do (e.g. which products and how much you run as-is or modify things) will help give a good recommendation as to what you mighty need, or what you might not need.

LordEntrails
January 29th, 2021, 21:47
If you do not purchase the FG version of something, then anything you want to use in FG (like an encounter map, a NPC to fight, a sword to give to the party) you will have to create it yourself in FG.

You can create just about everything through the FG GUI. (A couple of things like equipment packs, nothing essential, can not be done through the GUI.) I have actually created D&D modules using the FG GUI to sell on the DMsGuild. Many of the folks from the 3PP also use the GUI to create their professional products they sell.

So no, you don't have to buy anything but the license, but if you don't buy it and want to use it in FG you have to enter it yourself.

So, rather than drag/drop a feat or background into a character from a pre-prepared list, you have to type them in yourself (or your player). If you follow the wording exactly, any built-in automation will work.

Taking the LMoP example, if you do not buy the FG version because you have th print version, then you will want to scan in the maps and images you want to share with the players. You will want to use the SRD creatures to make and alter to be all the creatures your party fights. Same thing with treasure. And any classes, races, etc not included in the Basic Rules or SRD either you or your players will have to create in FG.

Time or Money, your choice.

damned
January 29th, 2021, 23:34
For years we used to run D&D without any licensed content.
Now even with the demo license you get the SRD and Basic content which is sufficient to build playable characters with no data entry.
It also includes nearly 200 monsters from memory.

For adventures -
At its most basic you import a map and create any NPCs you cant find in BASIC/SRD. Everything else is read from the book as you would in real life.
You do not need to set every single thing up as you would have in a commercial release.

Ultimately my recommendation is:
FGU Ultimate Sub/Purchase
Players Handbook
Whichever Adventure you are going to run.

You have 30 days where you can refund the lot if its not working out for you.
Your time cannot be refunded though...

Chronicpain
February 3rd, 2021, 01:24
Mesa Az huh ... what HS ? Dobson 1990 here ... small world!