PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Old Man Looking To DM For A Friendly, Patient Group (D&D 5e)

BellOfLostGoals
January 28th, 2021, 21:33
Hey friends! I'm an older fellow who grew up playing 2nd edition way back when and I've been out of the game for about 20 years now. What with the whole pandemic situation I've found myself with a LOT of time on my hands and thought maybe now would be as good a time as any to put my old DM shoes back on and embrace the modern internet.

This post is more or less a kind of "putting out the feelers" kind of deal as I am both new to Fantasy Grounds and new to 5th Edition as a whole. But I'm always interested in writing up a world for players to make memories in.

So I suppose what I'm looking for right now is a group of three to four people who fit into the following criteria:

* Players who are interested in playing 5th Edition
* Players who don't mind playing without video conferencing (It just doesn't work into my setup at home. Partner works opposite shifts so doing voice calls is difficult for me. That being said I'm more than happy to play with a group on mute and respond in text. That's perfectly okay)
* Players who are willing to be patient and understanding (or dare I say helpful and informative) as I am new to both Fantasy Grounds and 5th but am willing to learn.
* Players who are interested in a home-made campaign (I just like writing my own stuff)
* Players able to play for 2 to 3 hours at a time once every two weeks between the hours of noon and 10pm Pacific Time

All that being said if you are an interested player please comment below and tell me what *kind* of game you'd like. Tell me a setting that you particularly like, the kind of races and classes you like to play, etc. I love writing my own campaigns but I like even more to tailor the experience to my players' interests. Also please let me know what time to play is best for you and if you're okay with once every other week or if you'd rather something weekly or even monthly!

With enough feedback I'll have a bit of an idea of what direction to go in and hopefully I can put together some stuff for a group to enjoy while we're all trapped inside!

Much love,
Mr. Bolg

GunnarGreybeard
January 28th, 2021, 23:24
Noon and 10pm Pacific Time would be 2 PM and midnight for me (am in CST). What version of Fantasy Grounds (and license) would you be using?

Right now I'm running a 5e campaign weekly on Saturday but am considering switching to every other week (maybe even switching to Savage Worlds at some point). Depending on the day/time, I might be able to bring along another player or 2.

BellOfLostGoals
January 28th, 2021, 23:54
I'm looking into just buying the one-time Ultimate license, just to reduce friction for current or future games I choose to run.

Currently the date and time are flexible. I work from home as an artist currently until COVID lets up so I've got plenty of time. I just wouldn't want to run too late my time. But any time between the hours I specified in the original post would work for me. I'm currently in talks with a couple interested parties and would like to try and find a middle ground in terms of availability and setting interest.

I very much enjoy writing my own campaigns but I would like to try to spice it up a little to cater to player interests, so if you are interested I'd like to hear from you regarding the types of settings you enjoy most and what sort of character you'd like to play.

Feel free to reply here or send me a DM!

BellOfLostGoals
January 29th, 2021, 00:10
Update: I did find an RPG campaign I wrote but was unable to run due to the pandemic, so I do have a base to go on for a campaign. I will put some time into it this weekend to refresh myself and adapt it to 5th Edition the best I can.

lords0fpain
January 30th, 2021, 04:20
Hello, I would be interested in playing. I am on EST time (3 hours difference, I think). Anyway, I have the ultimate license and eventually want to DM down the road. But, would like to get used to FG as a player. Anyway, the schedule sounds great, I work 12 hour shifts and my off days are not the same each week. I have played most versions of D&D, mostly home games that used rules from different additions, lol. Played White Wolf (if any interest in that), as well. I would only use voice, anyway. So, typing is cool.

I usually play a caster class, pretty much open of the setting. Just don't want to see any flaming creatures, with a list of immunities, better stats, does crazy damage and we all starting at the same level, lol. Yea, that has happen in a couple of table top games I have played in (but, not for long).

wolfpacker
January 31st, 2021, 18:43
Hi. I’m interested. Would like to get into FG playing online. Used to playing face to face. Been a DM and player. Happy to join if feasible. Let me know.

Hey friends! I'm an older fellow who grew up playing 2nd edition way back when and I've been out of the game for about 20 years now. What with the whole pandemic situation I've found myself with a LOT of time on my hands and thought maybe now would be as good a time as any to put my old DM shoes back on and embrace the modern internet.

This post is more or less a kind of "putting out the feelers" kind of deal as I am both new to Fantasy Grounds and new to 5th Edition as a whole. But I'm always interested in writing up a world for players to make memories in.

So I suppose what I'm looking for right now is a group of three to four people who fit into the following criteria:

* Players who are interested in playing 5th Edition
* Players who don't mind playing without video conferencing (It just doesn't work into my setup at home. Partner works opposite shifts so doing voice calls is difficult for me. That being said I'm more than happy to play with a group on mute and respond in text. That's perfectly okay)
* Players who are willing to be patient and understanding (or dare I say helpful and informative) as I am new to both Fantasy Grounds and 5th but am willing to learn.
* Players who are interested in a home-made campaign (I just like writing my own stuff)
* Players able to play for 2 to 3 hours at a time once every two weeks between the hours of noon and 10pm Pacific Time

All that being said if you are an interested player please comment below and tell me what *kind* of game you'd like. Tell me a setting that you particularly like, the kind of races and classes you like to play, etc. I love writing my own campaigns but I like even more to tailor the experience to my players' interests. Also please let me know what time to play is best for you and if you're okay with once every other week or if you'd rather something weekly or even monthly!

With enough feedback I'll have a bit of an idea of what direction to go in and hopefully I can put together some stuff for a group to enjoy while we're all trapped inside!

Much love,
Mr. Bolg

metalcruedude
January 31st, 2021, 22:28
Hello,

I'm on the west coast as well. I'd be interested in playing, but my time frame is limited to Sundays after 11a. I have no preference for what style of game or restrictions, whatever fits the homebrew best works for me. I've dm'd in the past on FGU for 5e and am looking this time to be a player, but am more than willing to help along the way

luckstang7
February 2nd, 2021, 15:28
Hello,

I'm also new to Fantasy Grounds, have only been playing D&D for about a year, and am very interested (depending on time slot chosen). I am open to pretty much anything, and am still exploring the different classes (favourites so far include a swarmkeeper ranger, and an eldritch knight fighter). Also am in EST time zone.

Dirtyvader99
February 2nd, 2021, 17:10
Hey I am interested, been on FG for about a year now playing 5E, but grew up playing 2E. I am central time so just curious if you have decided on a day of the week and time. Looking at PST I can usually be on between 5:30 PM PST and play to around 9:30 PST most week nights (I am CST).

Zar1024
February 3rd, 2021, 18:09
Hello. Fellow D&D 2nd Ed guy here; also been out of the tabletop realm for almost 20 years. This pandemic thing has gotta go.

Anyway. IF you are still looking for/accepting players, I am interested.
Like you, I have not played 5e, nor used any virtual tabletop anything. So I am definitely willing to be patient as we all learn it. No video is my preference as well; voice would be good, but text can work as well.
Every two weeks works (monthly or weekly could as well); would be best on Friday or Saturday night for me. (EST here, so starting 5 or 6pm PST)

I usually go for the melee classes. From looking at the basic/free info on D&D Beyond I am interested in a Dragonborn Barbarian. But I am flexible for party makeup, and DMs restrictions on race/class. If there are other source materials you are pulling from, I will peruse those as well. Especially if you "suggest" something as a better fit for the group.

As to what experience I am hoping for. Something fun, and different than what every other day has been. Interaction with other people is good too. (yeah, I am pretty introverted.)
And as long as there is a mix/balance of RP and combat, I am happy.

If I am selected. (thank you in advance, lol). And I look forward to the next steps into your campaign.
If you are already full up, then maybe I will catch you another time/campaign.
Whether I am selected, or not, I hope you get a good group together.

Thank you for the consideration. I hope this wasn't too random/long-winded.

-Rob

darkguardian
February 3rd, 2021, 19:42
Going to throw my name in the hat as well. I have been a bit rusty in playing D&D for awhile now, though feel pretty familiar with 5e, due to trying to run a bit for my kids. I am west coast as well, and my playtime availability would be Wednesday or Saturday from about 4p til called. I’m all for the learning curve as well.

I’m 44, and looking for something with fellow adults that would take this seriously in terms of consistent attendance. My free time is on the lighter side having two kids so a Saturday late afternoon/night game works spectacularly.

I enjoy character creation as a whole and really enjoy backstory creation and sideline conversations with my DM to ensure my story fits in their world. I’ve spent hours on D&D beyond just rolling characters for fun and imagining their personalities and play styles. I don’t do voices haha, but imagine how my character would interact with other characters, situations they are faces with, etc.

As a CR fan I have been reading Wildemount resources and created a bugbear barbarian who was affected by the Luxon and is a champion of nature and believes in the Luxon but also the ideals of the Wildmother. He is a protector of the natural order and while not inherently good (Chaotic Neutral), he will not let tyranny stand nor those unable to defend themselves be slaves.

Back to the matter at hand, I would truly enjoy the opportunity to experience a world of imagination again and adventure with fellow companions.

alpha_gator
February 8th, 2021, 16:48
I'm an OG too. Got started in 1st edition, moved on to MERP and quit playing until 5e. I think you'll find both 5e and FG very accessible. What day did you plan on playing?

JohnD
February 8th, 2021, 21:38
You guys are aware there is a great AD&D 2e ruleset in FG?

GunnarGreybeard
February 8th, 2021, 21:59
Don't know if the OP found his players or not because he hasn't posted recently. It also appears he hasn't logged into the forums since January 29th.

Plutwo
February 13th, 2021, 17:49
FG License: Full

Time Zone: EST

Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday evenings.

Term: Short or Long. I prefer to find a long-term, dedicated group.

Voice: I have used several voice chat programs for years.

Game System Preferred: Any really, as long as the stories are interesting and the group is fun.

Game System Experience: Many years of D&D 3.5 through 5e, Pathfinder, and various Star Wars pen and paper from the d6 all the way to Fantasy Flight Games' pretty dice. I also played a MUD for years called Achaea, a game where, in game terms, speaking out of character was considered insanity. If you openly and repeatedly spewed insanity and ignored warnings from other players long enough, eventually a God (a Moderator) would turn the offending insane person into a shrubbery. Good times.

Fantasy Grounds Experience: About a year.

Character Type Preferred: I enjoy playing a wide variety of characters and always have backups prepared just in case. I keep a folder full of character ideas and concepts I use as inspiration for NPCs that my players will run across or if I need to pull something out of nowhere on the spot.

About me: 33, male, two kids. I feel like a lot of what I would put here is in the "Character Type Preferred" section. I am just a laid back nerd from the Midwest who enjoys hanging out with other like minded people in fantasyland. I am just as at home in the thick of an intense tactical combat as I am roleplaying an evening at a high society gala.

macduffie465
February 15th, 2021, 02:38
FG or FGU? Does it matter? I just purchased a standard FGU license and would love to get in a group with mixed levels of VTT experience. I played ages ago and have played a few sessions of 5e in the last 2-3 years, but the adventure I was running died down as players lost interest in the experiment.

Anyway, I'm west coast can go with / without voice & video.

I generally enjoy dungeon delves. Would love to continue my Ruins of Undermountain campaign from 2e; in 5e's remaster.