PDA

View Full Version : Someone who will create a Ruleset for money?

Weltende
January 28th, 2021, 19:33
Hey,

i searched the forum for a easier way to create a ruleset, but it seems that all guys who worked on Editors failed or given up. I tried myself, but with my exeptional below zero coding skills... you know - No chance.

So does anyone maybe knows an Editor i maybe have overlooked, or someone who is willing to create some ruleset for others?

Thanks and have a nice roleplay!

JohnD
January 28th, 2021, 20:29
Creating a ruleset is quite likely 100s of hours of work.

You should provide some information about what you want; perhaps something close already exists, or can be done in CoreRPG or More Core.

Lonarandir
January 28th, 2021, 20:42
Try the RuleSet Wizard. https://www.rulesetwizard.com/get-ruleset-wizard/. Damned does a fine walkthrough to get you started in over 20 tutorial videos. I have no coding experience and I managed to make a functioning ruleset in under a week. Of course, it is not perfect, but I will plug away and improve on it.

Ulric
January 28th, 2021, 21:22
Try the RuleSet Wizard. https://www.rulesetwizard.com/get-ruleset-wizard/. Damned does a fine walkthrough to get you started in over 20 tutorial videos. I have no coding experience and I managed to make a functioning ruleset in under a week. Of course, it is not perfect, but I will plug away and improve on it.
What was the RPG that you base the RuleSet on?

Weltende
January 28th, 2021, 21:32
My System uses 10 Attributes (5 body, 5 mind). So better you are in it, so better die die you can roll. (d4,d6,d8,d10,d12). All skills are based on 2 Attributes. So you roll 2 die each against a Target number. Maybe there is something like this, wich i can edit for my porpuse.

@Lonarandir: Ah nice, thats one of the Editors i have seen, but i thought i was dead since his failed campaign back in 2014.

damned
January 28th, 2021, 21:46
Hi Lonarandir

Please share a screenshot or two :)

Hi Weltende

I think the Ruleset Wizard is amazing. No - it wont build it for you but it will make it a lot easier. here are two video series on making something with the RW.
This is the shorter series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgaQBtbYVA&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKW_5z-N6qS4ya4PLgZ0ARfM
And this is the longer series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJKyTSl_KEQ&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKXjOJMhcyk_lUQ2YW28exyP

Be aware that the Ruleset Wizard has probably had 7 updates since I started the longer series so some things are different (easier) in the Wizard from the video.

What is the system you are looking for?

damned
January 28th, 2021, 21:59
is the Target Number fixed?

Its super easy to do a basic version of this in MoreCore

Create a new Character
Create Attributes like this:

Name: Dexterity
Dice String: /die
Enable Formula: Tick
Param Formula: /die 1d(p1)
Hide Parameter: Tick p2, p3

Then in the Number Field (p1) on the Char Sheet enter 4/6/8/10/12/20
There is an extension somewhere recently in MoreCore subforum to expand the size of the number field(s)

Then rename another Roll Panel as Skills
Create Skills like this:

Name: Athletics
Param Formula: /die 1d(a)+1d(b)
Hide Parameter: Tick p1, p2, p3
Ref Field A: drag the number field from Attribute 1 into this field
Ref Field B: drag the number field from Attribute 2 into this field

Now when you roll Athletics it will roll 2 dice and sum them together

This is a very basic version of what you are after but requires zero coding.

damned
January 28th, 2021, 22:01
psicodelix revived the Ruleset Wizard project late last year and has released an Early Access version for 50Euro
Already it is very powerful
I am building a full system in the Wizard as a test - it still takes a good chunk of time - its non trivial to transform RPGs into computer code - but the barrier to using this tool is much lower

Weltende
January 29th, 2021, 00:21
@ damned:
Yeah thanks a lot! The tutorials will definatly help a lot and it seems like a good tool on the first sight. And thanks for the coding sample. I will look into it. My target numbers are variable and each die shoud be against the TN seperatly.

damned
January 29th, 2021, 00:34
Ok here is how i would do that in MoreCore

Attributes stay the same. Skills change to this:

Name: Athletics
Param Formula: /die 1d(a)s(p1)+1d(b)s(p1)
Hide Parameter: Tick p2, p3
Ref Field A: drag the number field from Attribute 1 into this field
Ref Field B: drag the number field from Attribute 2 into this field

When you need to test Athletics the GM tells you the target and you enter that in p1 on the charsheet
Now when you roll Athletics it will roll 2 dice and compare each to the TN/p1 and add 1 success for each TN+ rolled

This is a very basic version of what you are after but requires zero coding.
MoreCore can do a lot of things without any coding at all.

And this is what Im currently building in the Ruleset Wizard. To be fair I dont think it will end up being quicker in RW but it is easier.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43316

damned
January 29th, 2021, 00:38
And this is my basic MoreCore setup for you.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43317

Weltende
January 29th, 2021, 02:11
@ damned:
WTF - MoreCore is absolutly great. Why i have not seen this before. Well, you Sir made something very special! This is the good Stuff!

I coud easily copy your input and the best on it, i understand the rules behind it :D
I even looked up into the MoreCore user guide if i can specify the roll even more, but i think it will not work.

So what i need to make the roll complete is:
A additional Parameter (p2) wich is the skillrank. The Rank shoud also be compared to the TN, but not be rolled.
And for the perfekt match a Modifier (p3) wich shoud add up on the lowest value (from the roled die or the skillrank) before compared to the TN.
Is this possible? Maybe i´am wrong, but since Formula is /die it will be hard to compare fix numbers?

If this is not possible, can i somehow only show the dice values and the skillrank in the chat, without automatically compares to the TN or sum it up. So we coud all see the Roll and compare it to the TN ourself.

but anyway i think i coud use MoreCore for it, even if a cannot add the additional strings. The important part is done :D You helped me a lot. Thank you!

damned
January 29th, 2021, 02:38
To do what you need in full will require a custom roll to be written.
There are over 150 custom rolls in MoreCore already but right now I dnt have time to write you another.
You can crack open the ruleset and see most of the rolls in /scripts
and try and learn how to do one.
It does involve hacking some Lua!

Lonarandir
January 29th, 2021, 16:40
Here is a screenshot of my FGU table. As you can see, there is some automation, but mainly areas to input information. There are also some placeholders for my work in progress. https://imgur.com/a/UnQQWFQ

damned
January 30th, 2021, 00:18
Here is a screenshot of my FGU table. As you can see, there is some automation, but mainly areas to input information. There are also some placeholders for my work in progress. https://imgur.com/a/UnQQWFQ

Looking good Lonarandir.

Weltende
January 30th, 2021, 00:45
@Lonarandir: it looks really nice!

@damned: Unfortunately, it's all magic to me. I looked at the scripts, but my brain melted. Is there a list of what which letter brings or what you can enter? (So ​​I've seen all the dieroll variants/systems, but that's not what I mean).

E.g. in the formula you wrote me is the s for a roll against a TN. Are there any others? I only need a way to show the skill rank too in the roll... It woud be ok if the modifiers are not in this.

damned
January 30th, 2021, 01:02
Please spell out the mechanic in as much detail as possible

Weltende
January 30th, 2021, 01:16
A skill roll is against a TN from 1-10. Every Skill is based on 2 Attributes wich each have a own die. (Like you already add to the formula. Thats perfekt). The Skillrank, wich can be from 0 to 10, is also compared to the TN, but instead of rolling a die for it, it is a fixed number. So if you are good at something, your can get one automatic success.
Example:
You have a skillrank of 4 in Forgery. Forgery is based on Dexterity and Wisdom. You have a D6 in Dexterity and a D8 in Wisdom.
The GM tell you a TN of 4 for your Forgery.
You roll a 2 with 1d6 + a 5 with 1d8 and have a fix 4 from the skill rank.
So you hit the TN with the d8 and with the skill rank, so you have 2 successes.

damned
January 30th, 2021, 01:50
Are there ANY OTHER modifiers or things that influence the outcome?

Weltende
January 30th, 2021, 01:53
Skills can have a Modifier. They are added to the lowest of the 3 Values before it is compared to the TN. But this is a rare condition and i think it woud makes this thing a absolute nightmare to code. It is easy to add in manually in play.

damned
January 30th, 2021, 02:06
the zero code approach to this will be:

On the Skill unhide p2 and then store the Skill value there
Then add one more Roll like this:

Name: Skill Proficiency
Dice String: /mod 1

Then when your GM tells you that the difficulty is 4 and you have a 4+ in the Skill you first click Skill Proficiency and then you click the actual Skill roll.
Give that a try.
Otherwise its down the rabbit hole we go...

Weltende
January 30th, 2021, 02:21
This works like a charm. Thank you a lot again damned. This is a nice workaround.

Weltende
February 1st, 2021, 19:53
It´s me again :/
I made my modifier easier, because i thought it woud work better.

Is there a String where i can add a modifier to each die, before compared to the TN

I tried /die 1d(a)+(p3)s(p1)+1d(b)+(p3)s(p1), but it doesent work :/
P1 = TN
P3 = Modifier

damned
February 1st, 2021, 22:52
Hi Weltende there isnt in the current rolls.
Mathematically 1d(a)+1)s(p1) is the same as 1d(a)s((p1)-1) so you might try this...
Now there is an error in the CoreRPG die handler where the stuff in brackets is not working as it is supposed to and we dont have an ETA but I wonder...

It could be getting a little funky though...
/die 1d(a)s[(p1)-(p2)]+1d(b)s[(p1)-(p2)]

Now that should work but it doesnt...
If you do half that
/die 1d(a)s[(p1)-(c)]
you will see that works but there must be an error where 2 sets of [brackets] are messing up...

Let me think on it some more

Weltende
February 2nd, 2021, 00:06
Ah i see. It is a good idea to substract it from the TN. I tried it too and sure you right - it works with one square bracket, but not with 2.
/die 1d(a)s[(p1)-(p3)]+1d(b)s(p1)

So it seems i have to wait for them to fix this :D

damned
February 2nd, 2021, 01:15
Either Moon Wizard to fix the CoreRPG roller to allow stacking of parameters or me or frostbyte000jm to address the bracket code...