PDA

View Full Version : FG Con 16 - Friday April 16th to Sunday April 18th, 2021

Trenloe
January 28th, 2021, 13:07
Friday April 16th to Sunday April 18th, 2021. Starting around 5pm New Zealand time on the Friday and ending around midnight Hawaii time on the Sunday - over 72 hours of gaming.

FG Con 16 is now open for GM event submissions!

Player sign ups starts Friday March 19th.

If you want to run an event you can find GM guidelines here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/gm-guidelines/ which includes a link to a PDF file that steps the GM through how to register and submit their game. Please read the guidelines and follow the steps in the PDF to submit your event. And remember - as a GM submitting your game you must enter the times in the GMT/UTC 0 time zone - the event submission form won't read your profile timezone, but once the event is approved, prospective players will see the even time adjust to their profile time zone.

FG Con 16 is the first time when we’ll have games being ran on two different versions of Fantasy Grounds – Unity (FGU) and Classic (FGC). It’s expected that most games will be ran using FGU, but there is nothing stopping a GM running a game using FGC – just please be very clear that your players need FG Classic to join your game, and you will need your own Ultimate license to run games, there isn’t a Standard to Ultimate upgrade like there has been in previous years.

To run a game at FG Con you must have an Ultimate license for the version you’re going to use. For FGU SmiteWorks are offering a free three month Ultimate license subscription to those running events, for FGC there is no offer and you must own a FGC Ultimate license to run a game on FGC at FG Con 16.

The free three month FGU Ultimate license is handled through a SmiteWorks portal, with a unique code provided by the FG Con admins once your submitted event has been reviewed and approved. If you wish to take advantage of this please email [email protected] requesting your code, include your FG Con username so we can match your request to an event.

Any questions regarding FG Con please post below or email [email protected]. A big thanks in advance to all those who will take part!

Please spread the word to make people aware and GMs - start planning your game/s... :)

A few things to keep in mind for FG Con:

Run the games using Fantasy Grounds, and the “live” setting. The GM should have an Ultimate license - SmiteWorks will provide a free three month FG Unity Ultimate subscription for those running an event.
We will be having session ran on both FGC (Classic) and FGU (Unity). GMs - remember to enter which version you'll be running when you submit your event. Players - make sure you verify which version of FG you'll need for a session.
Run each session in a designated time slot - the length and start time is up to you. Keep to this time slot to allow players the chance to take part in as many events as possible - try to start on time and don't overrun!
Use the FG Con website and event booking system. You can advertise events elsewhere (we encourage that), but all event listings and player booking have to be through the FG Con site. GMs are required to enter their own events so that they have full access to player bookings for review and communication. GMs are required to communicate with their players for pre-event confirmation and coordination.
Use the FG Con designated Discord server for in-session communications.
Only run games during the weekend of Friday April 16th to Sunday April 18th, 2021.
Abide by the instructions and directions of the FG Con admin team.
Keep it simple for players to sign-up and participate. Have pregens ready, try not to have too complex pre-game player preparation. A lot of convention players just want to turn up and play - help them do that.
Try to keep games fairly newbie friendly - we get a lot of people trying out Fantasy Grounds and new RPG systems. If you expect a certain level of knowledge of FG or the system you're running, be very clear in your event post and subsequent communications.

FG Con is a great way to meet other online players and GMs, try games you've never played before and get to know Fantasy Grounds - we can all learn more from seeing a different GM in action.

More info to come in due course... The main organisers have been super busy recently...

Ulric
January 28th, 2021, 15:16
Awesome! I am already off work during these days! Time to consider what to run!

Trenloe
January 28th, 2021, 15:17
Awesome! I am already off work during these days! Time to consider what to run!
Great!

LordEntrails
January 28th, 2021, 15:39
Excellent! So glad to see FG Con has returned! Now what shall I run...? What's going to be run that I can play in...?

SilentRuin
January 29th, 2021, 22:36
Curious - if one were to run a FGU 5e game with pregens can they use their own extensions? Or is that forbidden? What are the game time slots (how long is a game expected to last). Ah I just now noticed a signature with www.fg-con.com - I assume that is the correct place to look? Might want to move that to text body - I rarely read signatures and just caught it further down in another reply.

damned
January 29th, 2021, 22:59
Curious - if one were to run a FGU 5e game with pregens can they use their own extensions? Or is that forbidden? What are the game time slots (how long is a game expected to last). Ah I just now noticed a signature with www.fg-con.com - I assume that is the correct place to look? Might want to move that to text body - I rarely read signatures and just caught it further down in another reply.

We havent updated the website as yet.
Players cannot load extensions...?
You can run ANYTHING so long as its running on FG and its not R Rated.
There are no timeslots however ALO and PFS/SFS may choose to run in Timeslots to make it easier for players to line up games.
GMs and Players participate from all over the world so US timeslots often do not assist people in other timezones.

SilentRuin
January 29th, 2021, 23:04
We havent updated the website as yet.
Players cannot load extensions...?
You can run ANYTHING so long as its running on FG and its not R Rated.
There are no timeslots however ALO and PFS/SFS may choose to run in Timeslots to make it easier for players to line up games.
GMs and Players participate from all over the world so US timeslots often do not assist people in other timezones.

I would be a GM so I would be able to load extensions - which I always use for my lazy enhancement as a DM. I take your answer to mean that I can run them for a game I host. Let me know when the web site is updated as your correct its got a lot of old references in there :) Thinking about doing this but not sure yet.

And I was not asking about "timezones" but duration of the play.

damned
January 29th, 2021, 23:07
You can 100% use all of your amazing extensions.
You can also do things like run tutorials or demonstrations etc - anything FG gaming related.

SilentRuin
January 29th, 2021, 23:10
You can 100% use all of your amazing extensions.
You can also do things like run tutorials or demonstrations etc - anything FG gaming related.

And duration of expected play for a session? In order to design something that would fit.

Trenloe
January 29th, 2021, 23:22
Session start time and length of session is up to the GM (see bullet point three in the first post). Most convention slots are between 3 and 5 hours. 3 is really just enough for a couple of encounters once you get everyone sorted out and ready to play. Shorter sessions are good for introductions/new user sessions. The sweet spot is usually 4 hours, with 5 sometimes being a little on the long side for most people.

damned
January 30th, 2021, 00:39
Weve seen people do 8 and 12 hour sessions. But it can be hard to fill. We have also seen shorter 2 hour game sessions and 1-2 hour tutorial/demo sessions.

LordEntrails
January 30th, 2021, 03:21
I did four sessions of four hours each a couple of FG Cons ago. It was basically a continuous dungeon delve. A couple of players ran all sessions, but others only came for one or two.

SilentRuin
February 1st, 2021, 05:01
A stupid question, is there a sweet spot level for the pre-made PC's in FG CON? I don't want to have them with to many options, but also want them with enough to experience a bit of everything. I'm thinking level 4 but not sure - so shopping for a 2nd or 3rd opinion. In past "con" type of game I've DM'ed in FGU I had 6th level but it was with very experienced players I knew.

LordEntrails
February 1st, 2021, 05:12
A stupid question, is there a sweet spot level for the pre-made PC's in FG CON? I don't want to have them with to many options, but also want them with enough to experience a bit of everything. I'm thinking level 4 but not sure - so shopping for a 2nd or 3rd opinion. In past "con" type of game I've DM'ed in FGU I had 6th level but it was with very experienced players I knew.
Depends. If you are targeting new players, then second level. More HP, but not much more in the way of additional complexity (options). For experienced players, I think level 5 or 6 is pretty good; I always like the option of a fireball!

SilentRuin
February 1st, 2021, 05:15
Depends. If you are targeting new players, then second level. More HP, but not much more in the way of additional complexity (options). For experienced players, I think level 5 or 6 is pretty good; I always like the option of a fireball!

Do you just state the level of the pregens and they take it to mean only experienced players, or is that something you specify in the signups for this?

damned
February 1st, 2021, 07:20
If you want experienced players only you should specify that in the Game Ad.
We generally encourage people to run stuff that newcomers will be welcome to join in on however what you run is really up to you.

Generally aim for a 3 or 4 encounter scenario and you would expect that to run in 3/3.5 or 4/4.5 hours.
If you have run the scenario before and have a better idea on its length that is fine too.
Generally its best to add 30mins to the expected run time rather than risk people having to leave because another game they are playing in is starting.

I tend to agree - 2nd/3rd level toons are less likely to die in the first encounter - it is a one shot you are allowed to kill them - and having a fireball (level 5/6) is always handy in the final scene.

Trenloe
February 1st, 2021, 10:48
Do you just state the level of the pregens and they take it to mean only experienced players, or is that something you specify in the signups for this?
You should always specify what you want, expect and mean. This is the Internet - lots of people don't read much so even if you state things people might not take it in, but don't ever make assumptions when advertising a game - state what you're aiming for and what you expect.

Doswelk
February 2nd, 2021, 19:37
Looks like yet again, I am the first to submit adventure for FG Con (like I did the for the first one!)

I know other people may has submitted as well, but as there are no adventures showing yet I am going to claim it :D

SilentRuin
February 2nd, 2021, 20:40
Looks like yet again, I am the first to submit adventure for FG Con (like I did the for the first one!)

I know other people may has submitted as well, but as there are no adventures showing yet I am going to claim it :D

I was under the impression the web site was not ready yet.

Trenloe
February 2nd, 2021, 21:08

Look at you Mr. Speedy Pants! Trying to keep your record going? ;)

It won't get approved for a couple of weeks, and you may have to change it, but thanks for posting...

Myrdin Potter
February 5th, 2021, 18:59
4 hours has been enough for players to see a good amount of level 1 of the Mouth of Doom for Rappan Athuk. 3 would be a little short unless everyone knew FG. 5 too much for me to DM and I would likely to have to have several levels prepared at that point. As an indication.

Myrdin Potter
February 5th, 2021, 19:04
And, for 5e DMs, the first link in my master "paid creations link" are the standard WoTC pregenerated characters levels 1 to 10.

As always, if you are using for FG Con, feel no shame to put 0 in the pay what you want box. My way of giving back.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36047-Myrdin-Potter-s-DMs-Guild-Offering

dmccoy1693
February 6th, 2021, 09:16
I've got the weekend blocked off.

viviolay
February 6th, 2021, 09:46
Hey Everyone- just a heads up I will be starting to plan the AL side of FGCon. If You would like to run adventurers league for the event please feel free to join the FG AL discord so you can get in touch with me.

Link Here: https://discord.gg/stJMXKy

All best,
Violet

srbongo
February 15th, 2021, 15:36
I've been waiting for this, excited to see it getting set up and figure out what I'll run!

SilentRuin
February 15th, 2021, 16:31
Is there a time we should start looking for signing up to run things for this? I saw a few posts about people "being first to sign up" then about there not being anything really updated on the FG CON 16 web site. When should I start looking to see if it is updated? Is there a time frame?

Trenloe
February 15th, 2021, 19:55
From the first post in this thread: "We aim to have the booking system open for GM event submissions the third week in February." That is still our aim. So that means sometime this week.

We'll provide announcements when it is ready for GM event submission.

SilentRuin
February 21st, 2021, 21:42
From the first post in this thread: "We aim to have the booking system open for GM event submissions the third week in February." That is still our aim. So that means sometime this week.

Soon:tm:

Trenloe
February 21st, 2021, 21:44
Sorry, this last week's update has completely taken up the team's time. Hopefully in a few days...

SilentRuin
February 21st, 2021, 21:49
Sorry, this last week's update has completely taken up the team's time. Hopefully in a few days...

Yeah the update definitely impacted us all for sure.

No rush on my part - will check out the updated page when it gets there.

Hector Trelane
February 22nd, 2021, 17:04

I'm tuning in very late. Will take a look to see if I can host a session or three. Would be an add-on prob after the initial posting. And if I can't run anything, hey, I'll show up to fill a table for another GM!

Thanks for running this, as always.

P.S. Finally experienced a Unity game last weekend for a D&D classic adventure and the LOS map was a fun feature indeed.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2021, 13:21
FG Con 16 is now open for GM event submissions – you can find GM guidelines here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/gm-guidelines/ which includes a link to a PDF file that steps the GM through how to register and submit their game. Please read the guidelines and follow the steps in the PDF to submit your event. And remember - as a GM submitting your game you must enter the times in the GMT/UTC 0 time zone - the event submission form won't read your profile timezone, but once the event is approved, prospective players will see the even time adjust to their profile time zone.

FG Con 16 is the first time when we’ll have games being ran on two different versions of Fantasy Grounds – Unity (FGU) and Classic (FGC). It’s expected that most games will be ran using FGU, but there is nothing stopping a GM running a game using FGC – just please be very clear that your players need FG Classic to join your game, and you will need your own Ultimate license to run games, there isn’t a Standard to Ultimate upgrade like there has been in previous years.

To run a game at FG Con you must have an Ultimate license for the version you’re going to use. For FGU SmiteWorks are offering a free three month Ultimate license subscription to those running events, for FGC there is no offer and you must own a FGC Ultimate license to run a game on FGC at FG Con 16.

The free three month FGU Ultimate license is handled through a SmiteWorks portal, with a unique code provided by the FG Con admins once your submitted event has been reviewed and approved. If you wish to take advantage of this please email [email protected] requesting your code, include your FG Con username so we can match your request to an event.

Any questions regarding FG Con please post below or email [email protected]. A big thanks in advance to all those who will take part!

Trenloe
February 25th, 2021, 13:27
And it's the first one approved too!

Thanks for running an event at FG Con 16!

Alain heartily approves of this event! :D

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44262

Trenloe
February 25th, 2021, 14:50
Having some issues with updating some low level files on the FG Con server - it's down for hopefully just a short time. I'll post again when it's back up.

Trenloe
February 25th, 2021, 15:22
Having some issues with updating some low level files on the FG Con server - it's down for hopefully just a short time. I'll post again when it's back up.
FG Con website is now back online...

Hector Trelane
February 25th, 2021, 18:18
And it's the first one approved too!

Thanks for running an event at FG Con 16!

Alain heartily approves of this event! :D

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44262

Congrats to Doswelk for being first yet again.

Really at this point it'd be discourteous not to let him be first. He's the President Pro Tem of the Senate...the Chairman of the Board...

viviolay
March 5th, 2021, 04:25
Just a heads up, AL event submission will be a little different (your games will still be listed on the FG site). I'm going to pass along the information soon and also give it to Trenloe so it's publicly available in another couple of days

GregRex
March 6th, 2021, 14:13
Use the FG Con designated Discord server for in-session communications.

I would like to run Syrinscape with my games, will the Discord server be boosted for the event to provide better audio quality?

Hector Trelane
March 7th, 2021, 02:42
I would like to run Syrinscape with my games, will the Discord server be boosted for the event to provide better audio quality?

I notice the same audio quality problem with Discord. (Teamspeak could be boosted to higher levels and worked better for audio quality.) I don't even know if it's possible to boost audio quality with Discord (I've looked unsuccessfully myself).

That said, Gwydion has workarounds; here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74bjbqk244

He recently posted this solution for Discord by another user: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ1FlHRjthc

Trenloe
March 7th, 2021, 07:09
We'll be using the Fantasy Grounds Discord server which is currently boosted to level 1 - allowing 128kbps.it won’t be specifically boosted beyond that for FG Con 16.

HywelPhillips
March 7th, 2021, 14:22
Is the use of the FG Discord server negotiable? I'm interested in running something but having just got an excellent set-up sorted for playing Syrinscape through Discord with no player effort involved, I'd quite like to use it for running games for the Con. That would mean using my Discord server instead. (Or I guess adding my Syrinscape bot to the FG server, or a general Syrinscape bot accessible by GM's, but those sound like security nightmares in the making).

Would it be acceptable to run the game on my own Discord server?

Trenloe
March 7th, 2021, 14:24
Is the use of the FG Discord server negotiable? I'm interested in running something but having just got an excellent set-up sorted for playing Syrinscape through Discord with no player effort involved, I'd quite like to use it for running games for the Con. That would mean using my Discord server instead. Would that be acceptable?
Sorry, all games that use audio must use the FG Discord server. We don't make exceptions, because as soon as we make one then others will want to use something else. We keep everything on the FG Discord server so that there's no confusion where all players need to go.

HywelPhillips
March 7th, 2021, 14:28
Thanks for the quick response, completely understand the reasons. Would it be acceptable to have a "dummy player" join the session via the FG Discord server to pipe Syrinscape audio through instead? I have a second Discord account specifically for that, I'd just need to add it to the FG server I guess.

Trenloe
March 7th, 2021, 14:29
Would it be acceptable to have a "dummy player" join the session via the FG Discord server to pipe Syrinscape audio through instead?
Absolutely. A few of us do that.

Hector Trelane
March 7th, 2021, 15:42
Absolutely. A few of us do that.

How about bots used for audio?

Trenloe
March 7th, 2021, 19:24
How about bots used for audio?
You'd have to ask SmiteWorks about that, as it's their Discord server.

SilentRuin
March 7th, 2021, 19:38

Does Syrinscape show up in discord as bot so it can be muted by players? I know nothing about it. But if its designed to put sound in they don't want with no way to mute it - then that would be a bad thing.

damned
March 7th, 2021, 21:36
If it is a separate player then you an reduce volume on or mute that player.

Hector Trelane
March 8th, 2021, 16:08
Does Syrinscape show up in discord as bot so it can be muted by players? I know nothing about it. But if its designed to put sound in they don't want with no way to mute it - then that would be a bad thing.

Syrinscape and other sound sources don't show up at all, which is the challenge and thus the discussion of the workaround. Typically you can run a second instance of Discord or use a bot (which I doubt will be possible using the official FantasyGrounds Discord Server, upon second thought). You could also use independent sound streaming outside of Discord (such as Cleanfeed and OBSNinja) as described by Gwydion.

In all cases, there are/should be ways for individual volume control by players.

Myrdin Potter
March 9th, 2021, 22:56
I made a submission to run a game. About how long is it taking to approve them?

Trenloe
March 10th, 2021, 09:28
I made a submission to run a game. About how long is it taking to approve them?
Thanks for submitting an event for FG Con 16. It was approved a couple of hours before this post. We usually get to events within 24 hours of submission, but we don't get any alert so we need to check manually and sometimes things take a little longer. Originally the event was saved as "Draft" for a couple of days, which we take as the GM still needs to do some editing before submission. It was only once it was submitted that we looked at it and approved it. Also note that once an event is approved, if t is edited again it will go into a pending state and will need re-approval.

srbongo
March 12th, 2021, 14:04
Is the use of the FG Discord server negotiable? I'm interested in running something but having just got an excellent set-up sorted for playing Syrinscape through Discord with no player effort involved, I'd quite like to use it for running games for the Con. That would mean using my Discord server instead. (Or I guess adding my Syrinscape bot to the FG server, or a general Syrinscape bot accessible by GM's, but those sound like security nightmares in the making).

Would it be acceptable to run the game on my own Discord server?

Simply curious, but do you have Syrinscape Online? I use it for my weekly players. Of course, for the convention it is more of a hassle for players to download the client and then to remove players from your Syrinscape "game" after the session, but if more GMs were using SO then it may put more worth into the download. I was thinking about using it, but didn't want to ask players to do so for a single session if they didn't already have it.

HywelPhillips
March 12th, 2021, 14:25
Hi,

Yes, I'm using Syrinscape online. I find the additional overhead of getting players to download it (making sure they get the correct player), linking their device, then having the player onscreen if they want to change volume is more overhead than it is worth even for some of my regular weekly players. It's not a problem for the people who have one computer set up permanently, but some people are swapping between laptop at a relative's house or main computer at home, running Discord on a phone etc. and then it is a bit of a pain.

Syrinscape online is also fairly demanding on resources, so low-powered laptops struggle with running it plus FGU plus Discord with video chat.

That's why I've switched to piping the Syrinscape Online output to a Discord bot using the recipe from Amerisun here:
https://forum.syrinscape.com/t/discord-bot-for-syrinscape-to-get-stereo-sound/11235
(I had to use a spare Windows laptop to do the bot as my python hackery wasn't up to getting one of the scripts going under Mac Os Catalina. But I had one lying around.)

It puts more of the load on the GM's machines, but I'm a film-maker so I have computing power sitting around, which not all my players do. It reduces screen clutter for players, means they don't have to install stuff, and allows them to control volume via Discord as they are used to doing to everyone's voices.

The sound quality isn't quite a good as using the Online player directly, but given that we mostly have it playing under us talking anyway we find it more than adequate using the bot solution. The alternative way sounds a bit ropy if you're using an "extra player" to pipe the sound to Discord instead of a bot, which is why I asked about using my own Discord channel, but it is still 80% of the effect for 20% of the work :)

And definitely as you say not getting people to install another program for one-shots is a good move!

Cheers, Hywel

stephan_
March 12th, 2021, 19:13
There is also the new RPG Sounds. It is still buggy but it enables you to send the players a link they can open in their browser (the base program is free).

Trenloe
March 13th, 2021, 08:47
Reminder to prospective FG Con 16 GMs - events open for player registration in less than one week (12pm GMT, Friday 19th March).

Whereas you can add events later (up to a few days before the convention starts) your best chance of filling your event is to have your event up sooner rather than later...

Brian D
March 18th, 2021, 01:17
I've attempted to register for an FG CON account at https://www.fg-con.com/ . The site states my email address / user name are both on file, yet it won't let me login or change my password to login. Any suggestions? Or am I blocked from pre-registering until 12:00 UTC the 19th?

damned
March 18th, 2021, 01:21
Sending you a PM

Trenloe
March 20th, 2021, 15:39
GM Guidelines – bookings and player communication.
For those GMs who have already registered their event, player bookings opened yesterday and you may be seeing people book onto your event.

When a player places a booking for your event you should receive an email entitled “FG-Con: Admin Email – New Booking” from [email protected]. Within this emails will be details of the booking – who it’s from, for which event, etc.. The email also includes two links: one to login to the bookings management page, and another to the FG Con GM Guidelines Handout PDF – which on the last page has further information regarding booking management and communication.

As a GM please keep these points in mind:

It is up to you to accept/reject player bookings in a timely manner. Bookings should only be rejected if you have a definite reason not to allow that player in your game.
The primary means of communication between the GM and registered players is via personal email. You will have been given the player’s email in the “New Booking” email, and the emails are also listed on the booking confirmation page on the FG Con site (linked in the “New Booking” email). Players are not given your email address by the FG Con booking system.
Also keep an eye on the comments for your event on the FG Con site. Prospective players will sometimes ask questions there.
Once you’ve accepted a booking it’s nice to email the player to introduce yourself and provide any further information.
A week before the convention starts we will send you a list of player emails for your events. This is the same list which is available on the bookings page on the FG Con website.
Seven days before the convention, with the player email addresses, we will also provide you with a suggested email template to send to each player, adjust as necessary for your game and previous communication – this will include details of how to connect to your game and FG Con Discord access. This should be the latest time when you first contact your players, except for any subsequent late bookings - ideally you will have previously contacted your players when they booked onto your event.
Closer to your event make sure to check the comments section on your event page, sometimes last minute notes are left by players there.
Players can cancel their booking at any time through their “My Bookings” page. However, some people don’t do this and email/leave a comment on the event page. So be aware of the possibility of last minute cancellations and communication from the players in different places.

Trenloe
March 20th, 2021, 15:39
We’re a little lower than usual on events at FG Con 16, if you would like to run a game please register your event as soon as you can. FG Con 16 will be in four weeks time! We hope to get more events registered over the next 2-3 weeks – so keep popping back to the events page to see which events are available.

mac40k
March 21st, 2021, 15:08
I'm running a game for the first time and I was wondering how the Discord channels for the event work. Are the channels assigned and designated ahead of time? IOW, there's nothing I need to do other than wait to be notified.

damned
March 21st, 2021, 15:34
I'm running a game for the first time and I was wondering how the Discord channels for the event work. Are the channels assigned and designated ahead of time? IOW, there's nothing I need to do other than wait to be notified.

nice work mac40k
approx 3 days before FG Con kicks off you will be given permissions to create your own channel on the FG Discord Server.
You will be emailed more detail on this closer to the date.

Farnaby
March 22nd, 2021, 17:20
Just added 2 duplicate events, the PF2 one-shot Sundered Waves on friday and sunday.

Trenloe
March 22nd, 2021, 17:21
Just added 2 duplicate events, the PF2 one-shot Sundered Waves on friday and sunday.
Thanks for running some events. :)

Trenloe
March 24th, 2021, 19:23
Player registration for events has been open for a few days.

We have 25 events so far, and we're expecting a few more to come, start signing up for some events. We have a wide range of systems on offer - give something you don't usually play a go!

See the events here: https://www.fg-con.com/events/

Remember to set your time zone at the bottom of your profile page so that the times will display correctly for you.

The Decepticon
March 28th, 2021, 01:29
Quick question...

Is it considered a no-no to run the first chapter of a written campaign like LMoP? To be honest, I don't think I would be able to continue the campaign after the convention. I would put that in the details of the event so there is no misunderstanding.

Trenloe
March 28th, 2021, 08:56
Is it considered a no-no to run the first chapter of a written campaign like LMoP? To be honest, I don't think I would be able to continue the campaign after the convention. I would put that in the details of the event so there is no misunderstanding.
That's fine. I doubt if you'd be able to complete a chapter in a convention setting - usually aim for 3-4 encounters within a 4 hour session. You could run a cut down version of the first chapter.

damned
March 28th, 2021, 12:32
Running something from LMoP - either a set section - or as much as you get thru in the allotted time is ok.
Do be clear that you wont be continuing.
Id run the opening scenes/encounters rather than something in the middle/end as it will give fewer spoilers to anyone wanting to play the whole thing at a later date.

DireGnome
March 31st, 2021, 07:40
I tried to register at fg-con.com yesterday but never received a verification email.

Trenloe
March 31st, 2021, 09:14
I tried to register at fg-con.com yesterday but never received a verification email.
I've emailed you a password to the email address associated with your FG Con account.

DireGnome
April 1st, 2021, 03:59
Thanks!

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 8th, 2021, 16:14
Still time to run something for the con?

Trenloe
April 8th, 2021, 16:28
Still time to run something for the con?
Yes, if you get it in quickly (in the next 2 days please).

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 8th, 2021, 17:05
ok heading over ;)

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 8th, 2021, 17:23
having trouble with the password reset it sends me the link in my email but when I use the link it says the link is invalid?

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 8th, 2021, 17:37
nvm I found my password

Trenloe
April 9th, 2021, 16:59
FG Con 16 is one week away!

There are 36 events available, most of them have free spaces at this point. So get involved and book some cool games - there's a wide range of systems to try.

https://www.fg-con.com/events/

Remember to check the times - if you haven't logged in, or haven't set your time zone in your profile, times will be in GMT/UTC 0. Make sure you've set your time zone in your profile before you make bookings!

GM info

To all GMs who've submitted events so far - thanks very much! We'll be emailing you in the next 48 hours with info regarding running your game, Discord, player communication, etc., etc..

If you're still thinking of running an event please submit your event ASAP - today is officially the last day we allow event submission, but we might allow events submitted tomorrow, maybe... ;) GM event submission guidelines here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/gm-guidelines/

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 10th, 2021, 04:29
submitted 2 sessions AD&D 2nd Ed just waiting for everything to be approved?

Trenloe
April 10th, 2021, 07:52
submitted 2 sessions AD&D 2nd Ed just waiting for everything to be approved?
Events approved.

Thanks for posting these.

Just confirming - the time of your "Clearing of Castle Caldwell" session is 8am US central time?

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 10th, 2021, 13:00
yes

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 11th, 2021, 11:08
The site seems to be down this morning
getting a database error

Trenloe
April 11th, 2021, 11:32
The site seems to be down this morning
getting a database error
There was an issue with a needed database upgrade. @damned's on it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 12th, 2021, 02:20
is there some reason why my games are gone?
Anyone else missing sessions Sat looks pretty light

damned
April 12th, 2021, 02:29
Hi that was my error Im sorry.
I crashed the DB and it looks like my restore file was prior to your game being loaded.

damned
April 12th, 2021, 02:34
Im looking into it to see if there is a newer backup.

loki2158
April 12th, 2021, 11:43
Has anyone had trouble reregistering since the crash? I've tried twice and it says it has sent a verification email but it never shows in my emails (inbox, spam, etc),

stephan_
April 12th, 2021, 13:26
I think my two games also got lost in the crash.

damned
April 12th, 2021, 13:28
4 games and some bookings did get lost.
We were trying to track down who the other 2 games were...

My apologies.
I crashed the servers SQL in a failed upgrade...

We are trying to piece a couple more things together before sending out an email.

Please, Stephan and Steffen, if you could, please repost your games. Sorry for the hassle.

stephan_
April 12th, 2021, 13:41
No worries, I'll post again in a bit (though I believe only one had signups so far).

Sgain
April 12th, 2021, 17:31
my game is gone as well. Had 2 signups.
I'm not going to redo my signup. I've messaged my 2 players and told them I'm canceling the game.

SilentRuin
April 12th, 2021, 19:25
This may have got lost in the mix somewhere - but I've still not received any information on how and where we should run the discord for our games. I've already notified my players that you are having issues with the site - but that regardless we will be good as I am already in communication with them and can setup my own discord server if I have to.

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 13th, 2021, 02:32
ok just got home from work I will be right on that in a few
Thats ok Damned everyone makes mistakes even Immortal Supreme Deities

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 13th, 2021, 03:38
alright done
hope to get enough people to run it.

mac40k
April 13th, 2021, 12:59
I haven't been following the thread, but with the Con coming up this weekend I just read through the whole thing and saw that notifications were supposed to go out to GM's on the Discord info, etc. I haven't received anything yet. My game is still on the schedule, I have 5 bookings, and even though I've contacted them previously, I need the "final instructions".

Trenloe
April 13th, 2021, 22:03
Sorry the emails haven't gone out yet, the issue with the server has put us behind a number of days.

This is the rough text of the email that will be sent to all GMs:

Hello FG Con 16 GM.
Three days to go to FG Con 16!
Please make sure you have emailed all of your players regarding your event – letting them know about your game and what’s expected. Please consider using the email template below.
A few last minutes pieces of information/reminders:
• Run your game in the FG “live” channel. I know some of you were hoping to show off some of the lighting effects in the version 4.1 test channel. It’s looking unlikely that the 4.1 lighting will be pushed to the live channel before FG Con. So please prepare your game assuming that you’ll be running in FG 4.0 live, without lighting. There are no exceptions here – please run all games in the FG live channel.
• Assuming you’ll be using voice communications – run your game in the FG Discord server. There is an “FGCON” section at the bottom of the Fantasy Grounds Discord server channels list - this will be moved higher in the list close to the start of the convention. You can create a voice channel in this section – please create your voice channel with the name of your event 24 hours before your event is due to start.
• Please make sure you’re online 15 minutes before your game starts and plan to not run over time.
• If real life gets in the way and you need to cancel/adjust your game, make sure you email all players (the email addresses are available in the booking screen on the FG Con Website). If you’re cancelling your game, please cancel player bookings before deleting/changing your event status to “Draft”.
Hope you have a great FG Con. If you have any questions or issues please email [email protected].
Thanks for running an event.
The FG Con admin team.

Email template:
Dear Fantasy Grounds gamer!
Thank you for signing up to <insert your event name here> at FG Con 16. I’m the GM for your game! This email provides information that helps to make sure we’ll ready for our event.
• We will be using Fantasy Grounds Unity. You need to have this installed and updated to the live channel before our game.
• You will be able to connect to my game through the FG Unity “Join Campaign” screen, using the GM Name <Your FG username> in the “Join by GM Name” field.
• We will be using the Fantasy Grounds Discord server for voice communications. On the day of the event look for a voice channel with the name of this event in the “FG Con” section of the server. Details on the Fantasy Grounds Discord server can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/Discord.php
• Please use a headset/mic combination if at all possible. This will keep any noise/feedback to a minimum and make the voice communication better for everyone involved.
• Join the Discord channel 10-15 minutes before the game if possible so that we can sort out any pre-game questions or issues.
<any other information relating to your game> - such as pregen info, time confirmation, etc..

SilentRuin
April 13th, 2021, 22:11
Sorry the emails haven't gone out yet, the issue with the server has put us behind a number of days.

This is the rough text of the email that will be sent to all GMs:

Hello FG Con 16 GM.
Three days to go to FG Con 16!
Please make sure you have emailed all of your players regarding your event – letting them know about your game and what’s expected. Please consider using the email template below.
A few last minutes pieces of information/reminders:
• Run your game in the FG “live” channel. I know some of you were hoping to show off some of the lighting effects in the version 4.1 test channel. It’s looking unlikely that the 4.1 lighting will be pushed to the live channel before FG Con. So please prepare your game assuming that you’ll be running in FG 4.0 live, without lighting. There are no exceptions here – please run all games in the FG live channel.
• Assuming you’ll be using voice communications – run your game in the FG Discord server. There is an “FGCON” section at the bottom of the Fantasy Grounds Discord server channels list - this will be moved higher in the list close to the start of the convention. You can create a voice channel in this section – please create your voice channel with the name of your event 24 hours before your event is due to start.
• Please make sure you’re online 15 minutes before your game starts and plan to not run over time.
• If real life gets in the way and you need to cancel/adjust your game, make sure you email all players (the email addresses are available in the booking screen on the FG Con Website). If you’re cancelling your game, please cancel player bookings before deleting/changing your event status to “Draft”.
Hope you have a great FG Con. If you have any questions or issues please email [email protected].
Thanks for running an event.
The FG Con admin team.

Email template:
Dear Fantasy Grounds gamer!
Thank you for signing up to <insert your event name here> at FG Con 16. I’m the GM for your game! This email provides information that helps to make sure we’ll ready for our event.
• We will be using Fantasy Grounds Unity. You need to have this installed and updated to the live channel before our game.
• You will be able to connect to my game through the FG Unity “Join Campaign” screen, using the GM Name <Your FG username> in the “Join by GM Name” field.
• We will be using the Fantasy Grounds Discord server for voice communications. On the day of the event look for a voice channel with the name of this event in the “FG Con” section of the server. Details on the Fantasy Grounds Discord server can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/Discord.php
• Please use a headset/mic combination if at all possible. This will keep any noise/feedback to a minimum and make the voice communication better for everyone involved.
• Join the Discord channel 10-15 minutes before the game if possible so that we can sort out any pre-game questions or issues.
<any other information relating to your game> - such as pregen info, time confirmation, etc..

Do we have discord admin priv on channels to add players in and mute all others or how will that work?

Trenloe
April 13th, 2021, 22:16
Do we have discord admin priv on channels to add players in and mute all others or how will that work?
Players join the relevant channel as needed.

This is the information I received from the admin that setup the rights for the FGCON section of the Discord server: "FGCON has been set up without too many permissions but everyone should be able to create voice and text channels, speak, read and type messages and delete them as needed."

viviolay
April 14th, 2021, 18:54
Tables are live for D&D Adventurers League. I'm listed as the GM for all tables to make it easy to approve the bookings as they come in. We have 18 spots for a super fun epic, I wanna encourage people to join :)

https://i.imgur.com/jTD504x.png

Check out the Schedule and find Sign Up links Here: https://bit.ly/fgcon-al

Please spread the word to your friends! :)

stephan_
April 14th, 2021, 19:21
As the AL games do not really seem to align with the PFS/AL timeslots from the GM guidelines anyway (which is fine by me as those are a bit awkward for a lot of timezones), I'll ask the players signed up so far whether they want to adjust the starting times for my games. (I have stayed within the slots where possible so far but at this point in time it seems unlikely to really matter.)

Farnaby
April 14th, 2021, 19:31
So both my games have only one player and I need a minimum of 3 for each game.
I don't know what the chances are of them filling up but it is pretty remote.
I have warned both players that the chances are slim.

I will cancel the games very soon as I can plan the time for other things more effectively. :cry:

viviolay
April 14th, 2021, 19:33
As the AL games do not really seem to align with the PFS/AL timeslots from the GM guidelines anyway (which is fine by me as those are a bit awkward for a lot of timezones), I'll ask the players signed up so far whether they want to adjust the starting times for my games. (I have stayed within the slots where possible so far but at this point in time it seems unlikely to really matter.)

Thank you and apologies for that. I like to be there to muster/be available as an organizer whenever hosting AL games in case any issues arise (related to our code of conduct) so picked times that correlate with what I usually do/availability.

Trenloe
April 14th, 2021, 20:43
As it looks pretty likely that FGU 4.1 (lighting, etc.) won't be released to live this week, here is a reminder for GMs:

Run you FG Con 16 games in the live channel only. Do not run in test.

Whereas it would be cool to show off some of the things coming in future versions, we don't want software in test being used for FG Con games. We've also had issues in the past with GMs doing this and players having issues swapping between live -> test -> live between events. So please, run your games in live. Sorry if you had some cool lighting setup...

SilentRuin
April 14th, 2021, 20:56
As it looks pretty likely that FGU 4.1 (lighting, etc.) won't be released to live this week, here is a reminder for GMs:

Run you FG Con 16 games in the live channel only. Do not run in test.

Whereas it would be cool to show off some of the things coming in future versions, we don't want software in test being used for FG Con games. We've also had issues in the past with GMs doing this and players having issues swapping between live -> test -> live between events. So please, run your games in live. Sorry if you had some cool lighting setup...

Not to worry my players had to vote on it and it had to be unanimous. We are going LIVE in my game. Had they voted the other way - I would have duly told them we could not remain in FGCON and do that. Which would have meant I would have withdrawn my game and hosted them privately at some time of their choosing. But as it is - LIVE and will be under the auspices of FG CON. We have been in communications for weeks. If Smiteworks would go LIVE with the lighting - I would be ready for that also - as I have a campaign in each ready to go.

Players first - then the CON. As it happens they agree - LIVE game.

Trenloe
April 15th, 2021, 20:09
There are still plenty of events with spaces. FG Con 16 starts in less than 24 hours and runs all weekend.

See the event list here: https://www.fg-con.com/events/

Steffen_de_Wolff
April 16th, 2021, 06:53
This time tomorrow I will see if my game is going to go.
with the crash and my not knowing what my work schedule was going to be
It looks like I may not get the required number to run my game.
If not I will try again @ a later FG-Con If so then Game on!!
I will hold out till tomorrow night!!

stephan_
April 16th, 2021, 12:01
I'm not sure whether I'm the only one having the issue but since the crash I'm not receiving emails about pending player signups any longer.

Trenloe
April 16th, 2021, 12:04
I'm not sure whether I'm the only one having the issue but since the crash I'm not receiving emails about pending player signups any longer.
We identified an issue with outgoing email this morning. I'm not sure if it's been 100% fixed though. At this point, it's worth occasionally checking the booking to see if there are any new/changed bookings. Sorry for the inconvenience.

stephan_
April 16th, 2021, 12:10
Thanks for (hopefully) fixing it this quickly!

I did not receive any booking confirmed message when approving a booking a few minutes ago - though as long as the players receive it, it should be good.

SilentRuin
April 16th, 2021, 13:11
Yeah for sure watch for late dropping players also. Booked solid from day after signups - I had a player drop early yesterday then when reviewing the early today to try to open it back up I noticed another player had dropped. It turned out they had contacted the admins to remove them but I had no notification at all that I had dropped below my required players. I'm still going to play and either modify the encounters or get another 1 or 2 replacement players, but had I not looked at the actual event I would not have known I had dropped another player. So heads up and check your events.

viviolay
April 17th, 2021, 19:23
We still need some more people to join the epic tomorrow morning for the event to be able to kick-off!
If you're looking for something fun to do tomorrow, the Ten Towns epic will be a blast :)
Epic Signup Link: https://www.fg-con.com/events/dd-adventurers-league-ddep-10-01-terror-in-ten-towns-epic-a-multi-table-interactive-event-season-10/

SilentRuin
April 17th, 2021, 23:07
Behind Enemy Lines finished after 4 hours and all had a great time - me included. Lighting would have made it even better - but we made do with descriptive (if there had been lighting here). Not sure what else is expected but I deleted the channels I created and as afar as I know that's all there is to do.

Trenloe
April 17th, 2021, 23:21
Behind Enemy Lines finished after 4 hours and all had a great time - me included.
Glad everyone enjoyed it.

Not sure what else is expected but I deleted the channels I created and as afar as I know that's all there is to do.
That's all you need to do. Thanks for running an event at FG Con 16.

damned
April 18th, 2021, 01:16
Guys - still some 5E tables - especially ALO available at FG Con.
https://www.fg-con.com/events
You need to register and book for the session.
All games are totally free and can play with the demo client.

There is a multi table special where several groups are working towards the same goal and the overall success will depend on each of you achieving some milestones on your own tables!

**D&D Adventurers League – DDEP 10-01 Terror in Ten Towns **
*EPIC – A Multi-Table Interactive Event (Season 10)*
17 Hours from now!
FG Type (Classic or Unity): Unity
Ruleset: D&D 5th Edition
Games Master: Violet.fer

As a beastly army approaches Ten-Towns from the south, heroes take the lead in fortifications and defense.
But can the heroes’ optimistic hard work overcome the worst enemy—the towns’ distrust of one another?

Myrdin Potter
April 18th, 2021, 03:16
One slot left for Rappan Athuk mouth of doom on Sunday.

Myrdin Potter
April 18th, 2021, 21:39
Had fun running my group through Rappan Athuk. Put 2 into death saves but no character deaths this time.