PDA

View Full Version : Saving Campaign Data to MS OneDrive to Access from multiple computers - FGU

similarly
January 28th, 2021, 01:31
Curiosity:
Looked at a couple threads here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24307-Sharing-Campaign-Files-Between-Different-Computers
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35578-How-to-back-up-AppData-folder-to-OneDrive-automatically/page3

That said DON'T EVER set campaign data to MS onedrive or similar because data can get corrupted.

Wondering if this is still true of FGU.

One thing I miss (one of only a couple things) from Roll20 was the ability to access the campaign from a different computer (i.e. work, lol). If it can't be done, no big deal, but just wondering if FGU has better success or if it's still inadvisable.

Griogre
January 28th, 2021, 01:41
It's still true you don't want to run FG off a cloud drive. You can access on multiple computers but you don't want to every have it automatically sync while FG is actually running. So you should manually sync when FG is not running on any computers.

similarly
January 28th, 2021, 01:50
Thank you. Just wondering. I made a backup to a separate drive, but sometimes I think it would be useful to access the campaign from a different computer more easily.

Griogre
January 28th, 2021, 01:59
You can back up to the cloud, but yeah, you never want it to be automatic. The current database model in FG is never going to be friendly to simultaneous connections.

similarly
January 28th, 2021, 03:00
Thank you for clarifying that. Good to know!

Nylanfs
January 28th, 2021, 12:09
There's a batch file around here somewhere that automatically backs up your campaign to a location upon Exit from FG.

skorski
January 21st, 2022, 14:24
You can back up to the cloud, but yeah, you never want it to be automatic. The current database model in FG is never going to be friendly to simultaneous connections.

It makes sense that running simultaneous connections would be disastrous, but what about using it just for redundancy? Is there reasonable suspicion of corruption if the cloud drive is continually monitoring your campaigns folder, but there's only ever one connection at a time?

I keep FGU running on a server all the time ignoring the occasional FGU and OS update, my players like to hop on and update/read their notes and such willy nilly (and a credit to the stability of FGU, it's only crashed once). I figure that standard file locks would prevent corruption, and if on the off chance the cloud sync'ed mid write, it would pick it back up moments later once it's complete.

Trenloe
January 21st, 2022, 15:21
It makes sense that running simultaneous connections would be disastrous, but what about using it just for redundancy? Is there reasonable suspicion of corruption if the cloud drive is continually monitoring your campaigns folder, but there's only ever one connection at a time?

I keep FGU running on a server all the time ignoring the occasional FGU and OS update, my players like to hop on and update/read their notes and such willy nilly (and a credit to the stability of FGU, it's only crashed once). I figure that standard file locks would prevent corruption, and if on the off chance the cloud sync'ed mid write, it would pick it back up moments later once it's complete.
There have been many reports over the years of users who have pointed sync/backup solutions at their live FG data have experienced data issues - at the best loss of some recently saved data (which you may not even notice, but you'll have lost it), at worst a corrupt campaign. The strong recommendation is to not have any sync/backup solution running on your live FG data - it's not supported, it may work OK for a while or you may have issues that you don't even notice, but you'll be lucky if you don't have issues over a long period of time. Doing so is entirely at your own risk.

Nylanfs
January 21st, 2022, 16:48
There's a bat file somewhere in the forums that runs when you close FG that sends your campaign folder to your sync'd folder for backup I would use something like that.

Mytherus
January 23rd, 2022, 01:49
I backup to the cloud and an external drive routinely. A combination of a 25 year and counting IT career and a bad experience years ago that lost me a lot of work made backing up a natural habit for me now.

My financial data is also backed up to a usb stick and tossed in a safe. So with all that said my opinion is of course. Backup.

I stay at my folks on avg one weekend every 4 to 6 weeks, I bring my laptop if working on a campaign I download it from the cloud then I upload it back when done . I get to my house and just download it to the desktop and that’s how I use the cloud with FGU I just play off the local drive.

Valyar
January 23rd, 2022, 08:43
Let's not forget to create checksums of our files in order to test for defective media post-backup :)

Nylanfs
January 24th, 2022, 16:49
And the hardcopy offsite backups...

TheoGeek
January 26th, 2022, 17:43
I use subversion for a bunch of things at home and at one time I had my FGU data folder in an SVN repository. I could commit any changes that way and any other PC that had access to that repository could update it and go from there.

But it got silly because I was the only one who ever did anything with it and I always use it from the same PC. :)

So now I just copy the campaigns to my NAS when the mood hits me.