PDA

View Full Version : Stars Without Number

CarlPalmer
January 26th, 2021, 22:36
I am new to MoreCore, but I dove in and created a SWN character sheet when I couldn't find one. My group used it for the first session and it appears to work well.

I am sure there are cleaner ways, but everything can be played from one page, and everything seems to work.

I am open to ideas to make it better if anyone has advice.

Many thanks to the game designed Kevin Crawford who has kindly given me permission to share these modules with you.
If you find this useful you can download the first edition free here:
You can buy the new second edition here:
You can get a free cut down version here:

SWN-Classes: Classes from Core Rulebook
SWN-Items: Items from SWN Books
SQN-NPCs: NPC samples from SWN Books

damned
January 26th, 2021, 23:27
Well done CarlPalmer!

CarlPalmer
January 27th, 2021, 19:46
Many thanks to the game designed Kevin Crawford who has kindly given me permission to share these modules with you.
If you find this useful you can download the first edition free here:
You can buy the new second edition here:
You can get a free cut down version here:

Additional Modules:
SWN-Rolls: All the Rolls used for SWN Character Sheet
SWN-Rules: Rules (Story Elements) from SQN Core Book for Reference
SWN-Vehicles: Sample Starships from SWN Books
SWN-Tables: Worldmaking charts from Core Book

damned
January 27th, 2021, 20:02
Hi CarlPalmer I have removed the Rules, Vehicles and Tables for the moment. Even though the First Edition is/was free it doesnt mean that it can be redistributed. You will need to get permission from Sine Nomine Publishing / Kevin Crawford to share this or convince me that the content you have converted is copyright compliant.
Please do seek permission - it would be a great boon to be able to share that data.

CarlPalmer
January 27th, 2021, 21:13
Fair enough, I will attempt to get permission, Probably want to axe Items for the moment.

Myrdin Potter
February 3rd, 2021, 06:35
Will download these and look at them tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Henrik95
February 17th, 2021, 15:04
This is fantastic! Thank you so much!

Myrdin Potter
March 29th, 2021, 04:32
I played SWN today at Gary Con and that reminded me about this. Great effort!

kreegah
June 24th, 2021, 10:53
Hi, thanks for this! I'm working my way through the rulebook for revised edition now, and want to use FG as my VTT.

Two questions:
Will these work for revised edition? I'm not sure how different the editions are.
And, well.. how do I use them...? Do I need MoreCore, or can I just add these mods? Not a lot of experience with anything except dnd in Fantasy Grounds..

damned
June 24th, 2021, 13:43
Welcome kreegah

You will need to download the latest build of MoreCore and the extension.
Start a new MoreCore campaign and select the Stars Without Number extension.

kreegah
June 24th, 2021, 14:49
Edit: Nevermind, I think I figured it out.

Jay_NOLA
July 2nd, 2021, 16:16
Do you need the background images that Kevin Crarwford used to make the covers for 1st and 2nd edition SWN to make a background theme Fantasy Grounds? Both of the covers use a royalty free NASA images and I have copies of them via searching the NASA website and via book/CD ROM of Royalty free NASA images. (I'm typing this with my off hand as Ive lost use of you primary arm and hand a few weeks ago due t a serious medical malpractice so I apologie for any typos in my reply.)

wframe
December 26th, 2021, 15:41
For me, the Items and NPCs from the original post are empty. I activated the modules and there's just nothing there. Was this removed due to copyright? Because the vehicles, rules, rolls, etc modules are still populated. But without the NPCs and Items, I can't really use this.

Myrdin Potter
December 26th, 2021, 17:37
I opened the NPC .mod file with 7zip and looked at the xml and the data is all there. Maybe Morecore changed the parameters of what it looks for in NPC files?

@damned might know.

wframe
December 26th, 2021, 18:52
I opened the NPC .mod file with 7zip and looked at the xml and the data is all there. Maybe Morecore changed the parameters of what it looks for in NPC files?

@damned might know.

Well, even when I open it from the modules window, it's empty. In the screenshot, you can see that classes has entries, but items and NPCs does not. And no, it's not in the compendiums, either. I also downloaded the modules again just to be sure.

Edit: Nevermind. I apparently can't upload a screenshot. Two different computers, two different operating systems, and 3 different browsers and whenever I try to upload a picture, the buttons to confirm disappear. I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

Myrdin Potter
December 26th, 2021, 20:08
It does not work for me inside morecore as well. But the data is in the file.

There was a major change to the system about a month ago, maybe a file parameter changed.

Jingo
January 20th, 2022, 05:26
Hello. Could I prevail upon someone to help me understand how to install this and get it working? I downloaded the .mod files and put them in my Modules directory under my app data path. I chose MoreCore and the Dark theme and then ran MoreCore, but there's no buttons/menu on the right to enable me to do anything. I can load DnD 5e ruleset fine, but MoreCore seems to be messed up. My version in my chat window shows that I'm using MoreCore Ruleset 1.59 2020630.

damned
January 20th, 2022, 05:46
Hello stranger

Delete MoreCore and subscribe to it in the Forge.

Jingo
January 21st, 2022, 05:12
Hi damned. Thank you for your prompt response.
Never knew there was that Forge thingy. Cool! I'll give it a try.

But How/where do I delete the existing MoreCore?
I thought I could locate and delete the MoreCore ruleset from C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\rulesets. But I don't see MoreCore there.
Looking in C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\extensions I do see a MoreCore.ext (but it's pretty small just 91 kb).
Is that the same thing as the MoreCore ruleset?

damned
January 21st, 2022, 05:22
If your on classic that would be the location but Classic cant use the forge so dont delete it from classic.
Once upon a time MoreCore was an extension and then it grew...

On the splash screen for FGU click on the explorer/folder icon and then go to rulesets.
Delete MoreCore.pak and any MoreCore folders and then subscribe to MoreCore on the Forge.

vegaserik
January 21st, 2022, 05:22
It's MoreCore.pak in the Rulesets folder. The ext is not the same as the ruleset, that's an extension. You can try deleting or moving that file out too I'm not sure what that extension does, I don't seem to have it. I have a work folder I put in just to move extensions out when something goes wrong so I don't delete them and can move them back if needed.

Jingo
January 22nd, 2022, 01:07
I found it and deleted it. I think the path I pasted in my previous post was when I had classic on this computer.
I have FGU.
I have subscribed to MoreCore on Forge.
I checked for updates and it now appears when I create a campaign.
Thank you.

damned
January 22nd, 2022, 01:12
Yes - you need to click on the Check for Updates and then the Forge content will download.

Myrdin Potter
February 19th, 2022, 23:59
Damned - are the mod files empty for you as well?

damned
February 20th, 2022, 00:09
Ive never tried... do you want me to?

Myrdin Potter
February 20th, 2022, 00:10
Yes, please. As mentioned above a few of the modules are empty when opened in game but the data looks to be there when unzipped and looked at.

damned
February 20th, 2022, 01:03
Classes is loading 4 Classes. Adventurer has a typo but works.
here are some updated versions of the Items and NPCs.

Myrdin Potter
February 20th, 2022, 01:26
Thanks!

Was there something that broke in versions?

damned
February 20th, 2022, 01:43
I removed the library tags and changed <items> to <item> and the same for <npcs> in the modules. Im not sure that MoreCore ever used the plural versions....

Myrdin Potter
February 20th, 2022, 03:10
Many of the modules have read only entries and spelling errors in their titles.

I can fix them by copying the records and making my own module if needed. But Tables I cannot copy the individual tables. Is there a reason why that does not work for tables?

*** Figured it out, was not opening them from the right place - the buttons on the side

damned
February 20th, 2022, 10:10
Id create a new blank campaign
Close FG
Copy the data from the modules db.xml - making sure to select the correct start and end points - to your campaign db.xml
make the edits and export out to a single new module.

Jedigun
April 7th, 2022, 20:48
This is awesome.

MentalChillness
May 31st, 2023, 07:44
Awesome work, now we need to work on World's Without Number and the upcoming Cyberpunk Cities Without Number.

Reynard203
June 1st, 2023, 03:12
Welcome kreegah

You will need to download the latest build of MoreCore and the extension.
Start a new MoreCore campaign and select the Stars Without Number extension.

I feel really dumb asking this, but where is the SWN extension? I see the links to the .mod files and the character sheet, but not the .ext.

damned
June 1st, 2023, 03:19
Download the charsheet.xml and import it.
Make any required tweaks (check the instructions txt file).
Then duplicate the character as many times as needed and customise to that character - eg Name, Stats, Gear etc

MentalChillness
June 2nd, 2023, 05:31
Download the charsheet.xml and import it.
Make any required tweaks (check the instructions txt file).
Then duplicate the character as many times as needed and customise to that character - eg Name, Stats, Gear etc

Hey Damned, I have a question. What is the difference between XCore and Morecore?

damned
June 2nd, 2023, 05:49
Lots.
Both are generic tables that have a bunch of extra automation over CoreRPG.
MoreCore has more features and built in support for way over 100 different roll systems.
Xcore is simplified and tackles the rolls slightly differently. It is less cluttered and easier to get started with.
There is a new feature coming to XCore that will allow people to add support for additional roll types.

MentalChillness
June 2nd, 2023, 06:14
Ah, thank you for clearing that up.

pat
July 23rd, 2023, 19:20
Any chance we could get this put on the forge so it's easy for folks to install and stay up to date on?

Alirode
March 17th, 2024, 18:12
I'm wondering if I'm missing something, where do I put the Character Sheet.xml?

Alirode
March 17th, 2024, 18:20

Alirode
March 17th, 2024, 18:29

I'll admit that I'm am rather new at tinkering with Fantasy Grounds. I feel I'm missing some important step.

I'm fumbling through installing this. SWN-Items Core and SWN-NPC COre+ are empty, I've also had trouble importing the Character sheet. I've placed the character sheet in various folders and think I just have the generic MoreCore character sheet.

Trenloe
March 18th, 2024, 17:54
Import it using the character import process: click the "Import character" blue up arrow at the bottom of the Character Selection screen, then click the "Import Character File" blue arrow button at the top of the resulting "Import Character" window. This will give you a "Char Shett Master" (sic) sheet in the Character Selection screen - drag/drop that to make copies.

Trenloe
March 18th, 2024, 18:04
I'm fumbling through installing this. SWN-Items Core and SWN-NPC COre+ are empty, I've also had trouble importing the Character sheet. I've placed the character sheet in various folders and think I just have the generic MoreCore character sheet.
They seem to have an older (at least different) data structure to that used by MoreCore.

Try these, they are the same as post #1 but using the structure used by the current MoreCore ruleset.

Alirode
March 20th, 2024, 22:10
That worked perfect thanks! Trying to piddle around with the rest of the thing and see if its workable by the time I'm ready for my first session.