PDA

View Full Version : FGU - Default Desktop Dimensions

Minty23185Fresh
January 23rd, 2021, 16:36
When starting Fantasy Grounds Unity, the splash screen's dimensions are the same as they were at shutdown of FGU's last session. Great!

But then the launcher screen comes up and resizes and repositions FGU to some default size decided by a developer at Smiteworks.

QUIT IT!!! :mad:

This necessitates manually resizing FGU to my desired, working dimensions.

FGU should abide by the precedent set by every other well behaved application in the world. The startup application desktop dimensions should be of the same size (and position) as they were at shutdown of the last session.

wndrngdru
January 23rd, 2021, 16:57
Yes, please.

Moon Wizard
January 23rd, 2021, 19:19
It resizes to fit the launcher screen on the display given the current UI scale settings. It sounds like you are resizing to a size smaller than UI scale * launcher screen size during play.

Regards,
JPG

Minty23185Fresh
January 23rd, 2021, 19:44
It resizes to fit the launcher screen on the display given the current UI scale settings. It sounds like you are resizing to a size smaller than UI scale * launcher screen size during play.

Regards,
JPG
Sorry, but I’m not sure how this helps... I’m having to resize both vertically and horizontally. Compress vertically and lengthen horizontally, so it’s not just a simple scaling. And I must do this every single time I start FGU.

In general this might not be an issue. Start a game, resize (to myself: “well that’s a bit annoying”) and then I’m good for 3-4 hours.

But as a community developer, as one modifies script and then goes to test it, restarting FGU, sometimes every 5-6 minutes as one perfects the desired end result, the resizing becomes intolerable! The relaunch wait is bad enough, but constant resizing, for absolutely no reason, AARGH!! (Please help and quit inflicting this unnecessary application behavior on us!)

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2021, 20:01
The only time that, for me at least, FG resizes itself is when there is an update. After the update finishes then FG is in a small window in the centre of my screen. Once I manually resize it to my desired dimension then it stays that size until the next time it updates. I misread your first post thinking that is what you meant. But are you saying that whenever you close out FG and then restart it that it loses the screen dimension you had it set at before closing it down?

The screenshot is after updating but normally I have FG filling this screen and it stays that way until the next update.

Moon Wizard
January 23rd, 2021, 20:05
The problem is that the Unity platform does not provide any way to specify or provide a minimum window size, as far as I can find. That means that the window can end up like the picture attached. Because the average end user is not as savvy as you, we ensure that the window is increased in size to show the launcher panel at launch, so that users don't end up not being able to use launcher.

The current launcher panel minimum size is 1024x768x{UIScale}; and is only enforced at startup for best customer experience.

We have no plans to change at this time.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 24th, 2021, 00:36
restarting FGU, sometimes every 5-6 minutes as one perfects the desired end result, the resizing becomes intolerable

Hi Minty /reload is working again in FGU. and reload is not changing the window dimensions for me.
On restarting it will resize if either of your settings are below the 1024x768 pixels
If you only compress the height to 768 it will stop resizing on you.

Minty23185Fresh
January 24th, 2021, 00:47
Thank you Zacchaeus for responding.

Here is what I am experiencing (illustrated).

First, with FGU running (game mode), I resized it to what I wanted. And then shut it down.
Here is a screenshot just prior to shutting it down.
Please note I made FG purposely smaller than I would usually run it for illustrative purposes. All screenshots are of my full PC desktop (full "screen")
Note the size and position at the time of shutdown.

Next is a screenshot of the "splash" screen as I restart FGU.
Note the position is centered, not in the upper right, but the size looks to be about the same as shutdown.

Next is a screenshot of the FGU Launcher.
The Launcher is always, no matter what I try to do, full PC desktop size, top to bottom, and centered.

And now a screenshot of the FGU desktop as it mimics the launcher dimensions and position.
Note how the FGU shortcut panel at the bottom is hidden by my PC Desktop Quick Launch Taskbar.

[EDIT] added after posting.

And here is a screenshot of the FG Launcher with 50% UI Scaling setting.
Note the launch details subwindow is smaller, but the overall Launcher window is still full screen top to bottom.

damned
January 24th, 2021, 01:04
it looks like you have a pretty small screen.
i dont think there is a fix for your specific situation

Minty23185Fresh
January 24th, 2021, 01:13
The problem is that the Unity platform does not provide any way to specify or provide a minimum window size, as far as I can find. That means that the window can end up like the picture attached. Because the average end user is not as savvy as you, we ensure that the window is increased in size to show the launcher panel at launch, so that users don't end up not being able to use launcher.

The current launcher panel minimum size is 1024x768x{UIScale}; and is only enforced at startup for best customer experience.

We have no plans to change at this time.

Regards,
JPG

Thank you Moon Wizard. And thanks for your confidence in me :)
I'm really not that savvy, my bluster usually just confuses people enough so that they think I am. :)

If I am understanding all this correctly, then, if my eye-sight was poorer than it is now, and I had to use say 800x600 screen resolution, the FGU "Start" button would be off screen and I couldn't run FG. (I'm sure this is stated somewhere in the online documentation, and I just haven't read it.)

A question: is there a Regedit setting that I could manipulate to change those default startup dimensions of the Launcher?

(I know you would be reluctant to give it to me, and I don't blame you.
But if I knew there was such a setting I could go find it myself.
And if knew there wasn't one, then I wouldn't waste my time looking for it.)

As always thank you for your time.

Minty23185Fresh
January 24th, 2021, 01:14
it looks like you have a pretty small screen.

Harumph! There no need to get insulting and stuff! :) :)

Moon Wizard
January 24th, 2021, 02:05
There is no setting to bypass that behavior. It hasn't ever come up.

Regards,
JPG

WindrunnerCGG
January 24th, 2021, 02:19
I have a similar issue. I always DM in FG by stretching the app across two 1980 screens. If there is no patch needed I can reopen the application at the same resolution it was using the previous time, but it is always moved down from the top of the screen by 50px or so. (This is not an issue, just odd functionality.) When, however, I need to patch, it resets the size of the application. I can resize the window, and the previous locations of the in-app windows are maintained, but I still have to re-stretch the FG app across the two screens again (or across the bottom of my 4k monitor when I'm using that). I think this is the same behavior as is being described on this thread, and I just deal with it, but it's not ideal.

Windrunner

Minty23185Fresh
January 24th, 2021, 03:25
There is no setting to bypass that behavior. It hasn't ever come up.

I can only smile and sheepishly say, “so look and see which guy started this dang thread!” ;)

Minty23185Fresh
January 24th, 2021, 03:39
Hi Minty /reload is working again in FGU. and reload is not changing the window dimensions for me.
On restarting it will resize if either of your settings are below the 1024x768 pixels
If you only compress the height to 768 it will stop resizing on you.

I think someone in this thread said Minty ain’t that tech savvy... :o

Thanks damned, I’d not “heard” of that command. Probably read over it a hundred times with a /help or /? in the chat and it just didn’t click! Thank goodness for your patience, 101 times and pow, I’ve come to the land of the enlightened! Thank you so much.

I’ll shut up now.

damned
January 24th, 2021, 04:20
If you dont know /reload you are are literally about to save a day of your life
drag /reload to your [F1] key and as soon as you have made your code change hit [F1] and your table will reload the new code.
that is the first thing i tell people who are learning to code in FG!

Minty23185Fresh
January 24th, 2021, 04:29
drag /reload to your [F1] key and as soon as you have made your code change hit [F1] and your table will reload the new code.

I have /console in that position, but given the utility of /reload, /console might have to vacate the [F1] spot and be relegated to the number 2 position :). Thank you.

charmov
January 24th, 2021, 04:36
The screen resizes for me too upon shutdown and restart. I don't find it that bad but fixing it would be rad.

damned
January 24th, 2021, 04:43
The screen resizes for me too upon shutdown and restart. I don't find it that bad but fixing it would be rad.

is your preferred window size smaller in either direction?

damned
January 24th, 2021, 04:44
I have /console in that position, but given the utility of /reload, /console might have to vacate the [F1] spot and be relegated to the number 2 position :). Thank you.

Especially with the FGU console window not being movable I send my debug to chat now and only errors load console and that happens automatically

charmov
January 24th, 2021, 05:27
I like to stretch it to the max. It shrinks upon launch. I'm ok with it.

Jiminimonka
January 24th, 2021, 13:24
From what I understand with discussions with the devs of Syrinscape, there are some things that Unity is not very good at. Remember all the hoops you have to jump thru to get Syrinscape to play thru a channel on Discord? Thats a Unity limit not a Syrinscape limit. So I suppose the same applies with the windows settings (especially as its cross platform).

rmcdouga
January 24th, 2021, 19:25
I have a two monitor set up. What I do is use <windows key>-<right arrow key> to create a window on the right side that fills the right half of the right screen. I then grab the left window border and stretch the window to the left edge of the left monitor.

That quickly gets me two screen coverage after an update. It’s annoying that everything seems to pop up in the exact middle (which means the two bezels always split whatever pop-up occurs), but overall it’s not too bad (at least until I can get a super-wide 49” curved monitor... :) ).

Mytherus
January 24th, 2021, 21:11
I have no issue, ok i have hit maximaxe when i launch fgu...big deal

Im just glad it saves the locations i last had my CT or story board. If it didnt do that it'd drive me nuts.

Minty23185Fresh
January 26th, 2021, 14:57

I had a chance to try this today. Thanks damed.
You're right, for a community developer, extension writer, it is a life saver!
(My laptop lived another day because it wasn't "frisbee'd" across the room in exasperation! :mad:)

Since the culprit, the FG Launcher, is not invoked when one uses the /reload command, the FG game desktop is not resized.
Hazzah!