PDA

View Full Version : Rule System not on FGU store. Can it be added?

Victor Von Wulfen
January 22nd, 2021, 21:36
Hi all.
I have just looked on the FG store for "Leagues of Adventure" content.
I was unable to find any reference to the system whatsoever.
Is it possible to add these rules?
DriveThroughRpg sells a pdf version of the rules plus many supplements and adventures.
If I purchase this pdf system and a few supplements, maps, adventures etc, can I upload them to FGU?
Cheers :)

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2021, 21:45
A FG ruleset usually requires some level of coding to make it do "stuff" the the RPG system requires. The main things are a PC sheet and an NPC sheet - so that the main rolls are streamlined. Depending on what you're looking for, you may not even need these, with players having a character sheet locally and them and the GM making rolls direct from the dice into the chat window, using standard FG features like the chat window, maps/image sharing, dice rolling, etc. to play your game. But, often it's worth spending a bit of time to get a character sheet and NPC sheet, with rollable entries, to make some of the repeatable tasks more automated.

@damned has done great work on a ruleset framework called MoreCore - find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47382-MoreCore-Info This has many ways of creating custom rolls and setting up PC and NPC sheets. But, if someone hasn't already done templates, you'll need to set them up yourself.

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2021, 21:47
A ruleset is something which is coded using the programming languages Lua and xml. So it's not something that can just be uploaded from a pdf (or anything else for that matter). What you may possibly be able too do is use the CorRPG or MoreCore rulesets to create something which resembles the rules. There is also this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61387-Ruleset-Wizard-The-new-Ruleset-development-environment

This not uploading a pdf as a ruleset also applies to supplements and books as well. You would need to create modules from those inside FG. Images on the other hand you can add to a campaign very easily.

Victor Von Wulfen
January 22nd, 2021, 22:11
A FG ruleset usually requires some level of coding to make it do "stuff" the the RPG system requires. The main things are a PC sheet and an NPC sheet - so that the main rolls are streamlined. Depending on what you're looking for, you may not even need these, with players having a character sheet locally and them and the GM making rolls direct from the dice into the chat window, using standard FG features like the chat window, maps/image sharing, dice rolling, etc. to play your game. But, often it's worth spending a bit of time to get a character sheet and NPC sheet, with rollable entries, to make some of the repeatable tasks more automated.

@damned has done great work on a ruleset framework called MoreCore - find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47382-MoreCore-Info This has many ways of creating custom rolls and setting up PC and NPC sheets. But, if someone hasn't already done templates, you'll need to set them up yourself.

A ruleset is something which is coded using the programming languages Lua and xml. So it's not something that can just be uploaded from a pdf (or anything else for that matter). What you may possibly be able too do is use the CorRPG or MoreCore rulesets to create something which resembles the rules. There is also this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61387-Ruleset-Wizard-The-new-Ruleset-development-environment

This not uploading a pdf as a ruleset also applies to supplements and books as well. You would need to create modules from those inside FG. Images on the other hand you can add to a campaign very easily.

Ah, I see. So rulesets that are purchased from the FG store, are also programmed to automate certain actions within the game?
Is it possible to forego this aspect and manually run the game as if it where around a game table, in the flesh?
I mean, upload the rules as a basic pdf for reference?
What I was thinking was, buying a bunch of maps, room tiles, tokens and character models (top down) from the store, uploading the core rules pdf for reference and teaching myself how everything works, if you get my drift?
Or, can you simply not upload a pdf for any purpose?
Sorry if I am slow to grasp this aspect.

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2021, 22:20
Is it possible to forego this aspect and manually run the game as if it where around a game table, in the flesh?
That's exactly what I was saying in my first paragraph. Players have their PC sheet (physical) in front of them and FG is used for dice rolling, images, maps, etc..

I mean, upload the rules as a basic pdf for reference?
You can create story entries to contain textual reference material. And, as Zacchaeus mentioned, also have maps/images/handouts. It's data presentation - you'll need to extract the data and images from the PDF and enter them into FG.

What I was thinking was, buying a bunch of maps, room tiles, tokens and character models (top down) from the store, uploading the core rules pdf for reference and teaching myself how everything works, if you get my drift?
That would work.

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2021, 22:32
Leagues of Adventure uses the Ubiquity RPG system as its underlying mechanism. There's this community created ruleset available: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?63867-Ubiquity-Extensions I've never used it, nor know how suitable it would be for Leagues of Adventure.

Victor Von Wulfen
January 22nd, 2021, 22:50
That's exactly what I was saying in my first paragraph. Players have their PC sheet (physical) in front of them and FG is used for dice rolling, images, maps, etc..

You can create story entries to contain textual reference material. And, as Zacchaeus mentioned, also have maps/images/handouts. It's data presentation - you'll need to extract the data and images from the PDF and enter them into FG.

That would work.

Leagues of Adventure uses the Ubiquity RPG system as its underlying mechanism. There's this community created ruleset available: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?63867-Ubiquity-Extensions I've never used it, nor know how suitable it would be for Leagues of Adventure.

Many, many thanks for your help and patience sir.
There is a lot more to this than I realized. But being an adventurous sort, I am not put off by the challenge!
I have downloaded the Ruleset Wizard demo, link kindly given by Zacchaeus, and started reading about MoreCore.
I can already smell the damp earth and exotic vegetation of some dark, remote jungle :)

damned
January 22nd, 2021, 23:35
Leagues of Adventure has less than 500 sales on DrivethruRPG so theres not a compelling case for someone to build out a full ruleset without them also being keenly interested in the product themselves.

MoreCore supports Ubiquity rolls.
There is also the Ruleset Wizard which reduces the challenge of building out a ruleset - and massively reduces the complexity of building out Character Sheets.
Here is an example of me doing that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgaQBtbYVA&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKW_5z-N6qS4ya4PLgZ0ARfM
and the RW has evolved quite a lot even in the short time since Christmas

Victor Von Wulfen
January 23rd, 2021, 01:41
Leagues of Adventure has less than 500 sales on DrivethruRPG so theres not a compelling case for someone to build out a full ruleset without them also being keenly interested in the product themselves.

MoreCore supports Ubiquity rolls.
There is also the Ruleset Wizard which reduces the challenge of building out a ruleset - and massively reduces the complexity of building out Character Sheets.
Here is an example of me doing that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgaQBtbYVA&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKW_5z-N6qS4ya4PLgZ0ARfM
and the RW has evolved quite a lot even in the short time since Christmas

Many thanks.
So it’s not hugely popular then, that’s a shame :(
I have already downloaded the rules wizard demo and started following along with the YouTube videos, just for practice and fun :)

damned
January 23rd, 2021, 02:30
lets put it into some context
There is Dungeons & Dragons
and then there is everyone else

Ok, more accurately, about 60% of every dollar spent on tabletop RPGs is spent on D&D 5E.
Pathfinder 1 and 2 probably get 10-15%
The next 10 biggest games get 10-15% between them and they most likely include:
Warhammer
Vampire/etc
Star Wars
Call of Cthulhu
Savage Worlds
Legend of the Five Rings
Shadowrun
Cyberpunk RED
and probably D&D 3.5 and D&D 4
That leaves 10-20% of the market for the other 8,000+ RPGs out there...

Most RPGs statistically never get played let alone bought.

You should run/play stuff that interests you. You should also be aware that the more niche it is the harder it will be to find a game or to find players. But dont let that stop you. There are so many cool genres and systems. Play them all!

dragonheels
January 23rd, 2021, 09:05
And as said before, you do not need a ruleset to play. When you are at the table, you do all manually. It'totally possible here and it doesn't take out the fun :)

Victor Von Wulfen
January 23rd, 2021, 16:22
And as said before, you do not need a ruleset to play. When you are at the table, you do all manually. It'totally possible here and it doesn't take out the fun :)

Many thanks.
It would be nice to have all the automated features but as you say its not needed.
I could just have all the rules and guides in windows outside of FGU, then use FGU for the room tiles, maps etc, just for the visual aspect :)

dragonheels
January 23rd, 2021, 16:31
If I were you, I would learn to use the Savage Worlds ruleset and play Rippers. Then, when aware what can be done, I would try to adapt the League of Legends to play it with the SW ruleset.

Victor Von Wulfen
January 23rd, 2021, 16:34
lets put it into some context
There is Dungeons & Dragons
and then there is everyone else

Ok, more accurately, about 60% of every dollar spent on tabletop RPGs is spent on D&D 5E.
Pathfinder 1 and 2 probably get 10-15%
The next 10 biggest games get 10-15% between them and they most likely include:
Warhammer
Vampire/etc
Star Wars
Call of Cthulhu
Savage Worlds
Legend of the Five Rings
Shadowrun
Cyberpunk RED
and probably D&D 3.5 and D&D 4
That leaves 10-20% of the market for the other 8,000+ RPGs out there...

Most RPGs statistically never get played let alone bought.

You should run/play stuff that interests you. You should also be aware that the more niche it is the harder it will be to find a game or to find players. But dont let that stop you. There are so many cool genres and systems. Play them all!

Many thanks for the data. I find this very interesting :)
I have been reading more about savage worlds today. This system seems to have lots of different game worlds, all very interesting and diverse :)
Apart from the rippertech, rippers and rippers resurrected have certain similarities to leagues of adventure. Maybe I could use certain aspects of leagues of adventure and adapt them for use in Savage Worlds :)

Victor Von Wulfen
January 23rd, 2021, 23:50
If I were you, I would learn to use the Savage Worlds ruleset and play Rippers. Then, when aware what can be done, I would try to adapt the League of Legends to play it with the SW ruleset.

Did as you suggested and purchased SWADE and the Rippers Resurrected modules today :)
Very much looking forward to learning how to play.