PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: DM Token Layer

NymTevlyn
June 10th, 2007, 22:59
I'd love to have a token layer that only the DM can manipulate and only if it's selected, sort of the way layers work in most graphics programs. Put a couple buttons at the bottom of the map window. One for an 'All Users' layer and a second for a 'DM/Host Only' layer.

The reason I ask for this feature, is so that I can use terrain tokens that don't get in the way and the players can't manipulate them either. I have ten different tree tokens I've made, which would be great for impromptu battles on an empty grid, but they just get in the way and don't stay put when you're trying to move in and around them.

TarynWinterblade
June 11th, 2007, 06:42
Hmm... this should be possible with the current scripting... have each token keep it's own layer in a variable, and then compare the token's layer with the selected layer in the onDrag handler. If you return false in onDrag, it will not allow the token to move... I think...

*adds that to his to-do list for his own ruleset*

Edit: Rereading the refdoc for tokeninstance, it seems like they don't implement a standard onDrag handler... I'd have to test it to see... *sigh*

NymTevlyn
June 11th, 2007, 06:49
Even being able to click on a token is problematic, because it brings that token to the top, ruining specific placement.

SniperDM
June 11th, 2007, 17:20
Dunno if this helps or not, but tokens dragged from the combat tracker to the image window for all entries but those representing the players are definitely locked as far as player access is concerned. I can't figure out where this is controlled in the scripts for the default ruleset though, which kinda leads me to believe it's hard coded. I could be missing something though, in which case it should be fairly easy to create the behavior you desire.

joshuha
June 11th, 2007, 19:21
Dunno if this helps or not, but tokens dragged from the combat tracker to the image window for all entries but those representing the players are definitely locked as far as player access is concerned. I can't figure out where this is controlled in the scripts for the default ruleset though, which kinda leads me to believe it's hard coded. I could be missing something though, in which case it should be fairly easy to create the behavior you desire.

setModifiable

function setModifiable( state )
Flags the token modifiability status. Non-modifiable tokens can't be interacted with by the clients.

Only scripts running on the session host can set this property.

Parameters

state (boolean)

A value of false to disable client interactions with the token, or true to allow them.

NymTevlyn
June 11th, 2007, 19:43
Even if that script were set on the tokens, it wouldn't change the fact that the DM clicking on them would cause them to re-order themselves or get in the way if you have tokens overlapping. Hence the need for a second doodad layer that doesn't get in the way of the npc and pc token layer.

joshuha
June 11th, 2007, 20:15
Ahh I thought it was an issue with just the players, sorry.

NymTevlyn
June 11th, 2007, 20:18
No, it's a bit more than that. I just think adding this feature to the map would make impromptu games a lot easier to run. Toss up some terrain tokens to show the battle map and lock it. Then drop the pc's and npc's onto it. It'd create an entire new set of tokens to make.

joshuha
June 11th, 2007, 21:01
Well looking at it more tokencontrols seems to inherit the windowcontrol so it may be theoritcally possible to force the OnClickDown/Release functions to return false. Whether this prevents them from returning to the top in unknown though and would require some expirementation (and there is also bringtoFront/back that if it works may force things to front/back if it works with tokencontrols).

Then you could basically make special double click function that access it and every other click ignores it. This is all theoritical of course. Would need some free time for some testing.

SniperDM
June 11th, 2007, 23:58
Ah, I see, like terrain tiles. Sign me up.

NymTevlyn
June 12th, 2007, 00:08
Yeah. Pretty much a terrain tile layer. Just think of what you could do. You could have pieces and rooms of dungeons as tokens that you drop onto the terrain tile layer and create a dungeon on the fly that looks good, rather than crappily drawn in FG with their drawing tool.

You could probably turn a lot of the dundjinni stuff into some basic tokens for that purpose as well.

Griogre
June 12th, 2007, 17:16
Not sure if you have seen these but they are pretty nice. They are tokens that can be used as walls. They work fairly well because player characters seldom end up inside of walls in a dungeon.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4574

NymTevlyn
June 12th, 2007, 18:23
There would still be the problem of players being able to click on them.

Toadwart
June 12th, 2007, 20:36
Just throwing ideas out with no real knowledge of this area of FG but maybe:
If they map frame had three image controls of the same size. Two with transparent frame images. One could be used to load a map onto and then be forced 'to the back', the other two could be swapped between via radial menu or some other mechanism. Bring the 'terrain' layer to the front, drop tokens on then send it back to the 'middle' leaving th etop layer for pc/npc tokens.

Really not sure if this is feasible but if I ever find any spare time I might give it a go.