PDA

View Full Version : FG not installing

Michel13
January 19th, 2021, 19:21
Hi folks,

I am just trying to migrate my FG GM stuff to a new computer. Followed the instructions, but had to delete everything and re-install. Now if I open the exe-folder and allow installation the usual FG menu opens but nothing else happens. What can I do to restart installation?

Thanks for advice
M

Trenloe
January 19th, 2021, 19:25
I'm not sure what your problem is. Can you please give more details?

Have you followed all of the steps detailed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Setup_Tutorial

Michel13
January 19th, 2021, 19:46
Thanks man. I do as the tutorial says. But after installing / updating, no FG folders appear on my computer, no FG references at all, neither in the appdata, nor in the user folder. Any advice?

Michel13
January 19th, 2021, 19:51
Plus, no icon to start FG, nowhere. =)

Trenloe
January 19th, 2021, 20:15
Have successfully ran on update (step 9)?

Zacchaeus
January 19th, 2021, 20:55
Make sure that your anti virus hasn't quarantined FG (if you have followed all the steps Trenloe pointed you to).

Michel13
January 19th, 2021, 22:29
Thank you. So the thing is: I download the "FGWebInstall" and open it, but then instead of running the standard installation of FG, I am directly shown the "FG Updater", not the usual start screen of FG (step 1 in tutorial, I am directly moved to step 9 and nothing happens). I can then do the steps in between and it runs an update, but still after it I nowhere have the standard start icon of FG, so I cannot get to the start screen. That's kinda strange... Help appreciated. M

LordEntrails
January 19th, 2021, 23:25
What operating system and version are you installing on? What language/region is your computer set to?

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 10:28
Windows10. German.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 11:00
Look for a file called FantasyGrounds.exe - on an English Windows installation it will be under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds", this might be "C:\Programme (x86)\Fantasy Grounds" on a Windows German installation. - if FantasyGrounds.exe is there, then create a shortcut for that file and run that to start Fantasy Grounds. If that directory exists, and there are some files in it (but not FantasyGrounds.exe) then that file is probably being blocked by your security/anti-virus software.

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 12:37
Thanks man. That was helpful, now it worked. However, now I have the next problem: When I start the campaign I get an error message saying:

Error-loading data
Ruleset:
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)
Do you want to try to reloading the data? No / Yes

What ever I click, no or yes, I am returned to the launcher.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 13:21
Which ruleset are you selecting? A freely available ruleset, like 5E?

If you get this error when creating a new D&D 5e campaign: when at the launcher click the folder icon in the top right. This will open Windows File Explorer at the FG App Data directory. This is where campaigns, rulesets, library modules, etc. are stored.

There should be a number of directories - campaigns, characters, docs, extensions, modules, portraits, rulesets, tokens, utilities, vault. If these don't exist, run and update. If they do exist, check that there is a 5e.pak and CoreRPG.pak file in the rulesets directory.

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2021, 13:22
Now that sounds like the data folder hasn't populated. Did you successfully update FG? Is there anything in the data folder? Click the folder icon top left of the start screen and pots a screenshot of the contents. You may have to set permissions in order to allow FG to access that folder.

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 20:22
Hi guys, thanks for your advice. On the questions:

- I would like to run the SavageWorlds ruleset, which I have bought. And which is also in the FG appdata folder.

- The FG data folder in appdata is populated, structure is as follows and folders are filled with stuff:

AddOns
campaigns
characters
docs
extensions
modules
portraits
rulesets
tokens
utilities
vault

plus some other files:
console
GlobalRegistry
install
update

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 20:24
And @Trenloe to your last point, yes, those 2 files (5e and CoreRPG) are in the rulesets folder.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 20:41
And @Trenloe to your last point, yes, those 2 files (5e and CoreRPG) are in the rulesets folder.
Try creating a D&D 5e test campaign - does that work?

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 20:56
Funny. That works. Should we change to D&D? My players will not be amused. =) What does this tell you, that this works, but the other not?

And an addition: My test runs for connections always show "failure", which is also strange, port forwarding is the same as with the last computer, router etc also the same, but the new laptop will not connect. Also disabled the McAfee firewall that comes with the laptop - no change. Really funny... Never had such a complicated experience with the good ol FG...

Thanks for all your help.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 21:00
What does this tell you, that this works, but the other not?
The 5e and CoreRPG ruleset are installed as standard. The SavageWorlds ruleset will be installed if you run an update after you purchase it - and you've logged into your FG account in the settings before running an update. Your purchases are linked to your FG account.

And an addition: My test runs for connections always show "failure", which is also strange, port forwarding is the same as with the last computer, router etc also the same, but the new laptop will not connect.
Your laptop probably has a different IP address to your previous computer. Make sure the TCP port 1802 port forwarding is pointing to the IP address of your laptop.

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 21:10
I did all that. Several times. The Savage Worlds ruleset also shows in data folder. Portforwarding also matches to IP adress of new laptop...

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 21:18
I did all that. Several times. The Savage Worlds ruleset also shows in data folder.
Please provide a screenshot of your <FG app data>\rulesets directory with full details (showing date and size).

Are you creating a new campaign using SavageWorlds or SWD?

Portforwarding also matches to IP adress of new laptop...
I suggest you got through the first two posts in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47051-Fantasy-Grounds-Connections-Explained And if that doesn't work, post in that thread the answers to the questions in the first post.

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 21:18
Okay. Seems it is really the firewall of McAfee, which came as a default offer with the new machine - tho I will switch to Avira asap. If the firewall is off, I can conncet, great to see that. However, all Savage Worlds campaigns show the same error message as above, whereas all D&D campaigns launch smoothly...

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2021, 21:22
Try deleting the Savage Worlds ruleset from the rulesets folder and do an update.

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 21:37
Thanks again. I did that, same error message. This window pops up afterwards:

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 21:40
Thanks again. I did that, same error message. This window pops up afterwards:

See my request in post #20 on the previous page.

Also, don't load any extensions at first. Start a brand new SavageWorlds campaign, with no extensions.

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 21:45
Sorry, below you go. And yes, I bought the SWD ruleset back in 2012. Together with the FGC License Core (for GM). Thank you man!

And how do I don't load extensions first? To me it appears they are automatically loaded during updating... Got you, will test that!

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 21:49
Setting up a fresh SWD campaign works. No error messages... But I'd like to have the old campaign stuff, 6 years of gaming... =)

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 21:49
And how do I don't load extensions first? To me it appears they are automatically loaded during updating...
On the load campaign screen you can select/deselect extensions to be loaded with that campaign. Having extensions on your hard drive is different from using them (loading them).

The file sizes look right. Try creating a brand new campaign with the SavageWorlds ruleset - don't enabled any extensions.

Do you get the same errors? If so, go to the launch screen, click the "Settings" button - what Updates -> Mode is currently set?

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 21:53
Setting up a fresh SWD campaign works. No error messages... But I'd like to have the old campaign stuff, 6 years of gaming... =)
OK, so you're trying to load an old campaign, this might be the cause of the errors - we should be able to fix that. When you click on your old campaign in the Load Campaign screen, does it show the ruleset as SWD or SavageWorlds?

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 21:57
As said above, #26, setting up a new SWD campaign without extensions works. But the old one still has the same error message. In the console screenshot I posted, which pops up after the error-message, there are many error messages (see #23). That anything to consider? Thank you.

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 22:00
On another note: When I migrated the FG data folder with the structure mentioned in #14 from the old onto the new computer I copied the entire folder content, not just the campaigns folder, thereby overwriting some stuff from the FG server. Could that have caused the problem?

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 22:00
That anything to consider? Thank you.
I think we're a post behind! :) Please see my post immediately above (#28).

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 22:02
On another note: When I migrated the FG data folder with the structure mentioned in #14 from the old onto the new computer I copied the entire folder content, not just the campaigns folder, thereby overwriting some stuff from the FG server. Could that have caused the problem?
As long as you ran an update after, it should be OK from a base FG perspective. But maybe not from an extension perspective.

When was the last time you used the old campaign?
What extensions are you using?

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 22:02
Okay, back to your #28 - that could be it: it shows "SavageWorlds3", not "SWD" - tho that is the version I bought back in 2012...

Edit: And the new SW campaign I just created as test shows as "SWD". Funny...

Michel13
January 20th, 2021, 22:03
Yeah, just catching up.... =) I ran the old campaign last time yesterday, but on the old computer in the end. Extensions, nothing, have the Rippers theme installed, but we don't use that, just pure Savage Worlds.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2021, 22:10
Okay, back to your #28 - that could be it: it shows "SavageWorlds3", not "SWD" - tho that is the version I bought back in 2012...
Wow! You haven't used that in a while... Hopefully we can get you up-and-running...

Try this, all working against your old campaign:
1) On the FG start screen, click the folder icon to open File Explorer. Go to the "campaigns" directory. Make a backup copy of the directory with the name of the campaign. This is just in case something goes wrong, so you don't use your data.
2) In file explorer, go into the directory with the name of your SavageWorlds3 ruleset campaign. Edit the "campaign.xml" file, and change <ruleset>SavageWorlds3</ruleset> to <ruleset>SWD</ruleset>
3) Stop and restart FG.
4) Try to load your old campaign - it should now show SWD as the ruleset. You may get some errors. If so, exit back to the launcher and reload the campaign again.