PDA

View Full Version : Point-Buy Attributes?

TraumaHound
June 9th, 2007, 22:36
I was attempting to create a character today (my first) using the point-buy method. When I started up FG2 to create a new character I was given the standard die-rolling method (does that ever go away? I couldn't get it to close out.) and something that I thought was an option to instead use point-buy but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. There was a message in red saying the point values haven't been set. How does one do that? I've tried adding items to the points screen and can change values of the numbers, does one just do that until the table is set (using the standard table from the DMG)? Will it save it? Am I going about this entirely wrong and should just do the math and input the numbers directly into the character sheet? Can I use any more question marks??? ;)

Thanks to any and all for any assistance you can impart.

- Chris S

Yenooc
June 10th, 2007, 01:26
I just opened up the Create and View Local Characters option on FGII, so let's see if I can use the point-buy system and make it work:
1) Left click on the Points window at the bottom
2) Scroll in the Assign __ Scores number: I made it 6 for 3.5 rules
3) Left click on the symbol on the bottom right
4) Right click in the field and add items until you have 3
5) (My example) Scroll the top number up to 14, and assign 1 point cost
6) Scroll the second number to 16, and assign 2 points cost
7) Scroll the third number to 18, and assign 3 points cost
8) Left click again on the symbol on the bottom right
9) Scroll your scores in the six fields, and the points cost per field will show on the right, and the cumulative points used will show on the bottom
Whew!

Griogre
June 10th, 2007, 03:59
I just wish FG would remember the values you put in for Point Buy Values. It's anoying to have to input them everytime you restart FG.

TraumaHound
June 10th, 2007, 06:53
Wow, so I nearly had it as I had a list of numbers on that Point Costs screen and thought I had it there but didn't go back to the points screen to assign numbers. Once done, it does seem to work, though, when I set it up like the DMG's table on page 169 it's still not quite right. I've set the point values in FG2 as such:

up to (8) = 0
(9) to (9) = 1
(10) to (10) = 2
(11) to (11) = 3

...etc, following the table. Attributes that should cost 32 points (16, 14, 16, 12, 8, 12) are costing 109 points. Obviously I've erred somewhere.

- Chris S

SniperDM
June 10th, 2007, 07:05
Try these values and see how they work.

0 to 8: 0 points

9 to 14 1 point

15 to 16 2 points

17 to 18:3 points

If I recall correctly that should create behavior to match the values given in the DMG for point-buy ability generation.

TraumaHound
June 10th, 2007, 07:26
...etc, following the table. Attributes that should cost 32 points (16, 14, 16, 12, 8, 12) are costing 109 points. Obviously I've erred somewhere.

I figured it out by NOT assigning the points as the values in the book but as the incremental increase numbers instead:

up to (8) = 0
(9) to (9) = 1
(10) to (10) = 1
(15) to (15) = 2
(18) to (18) = 3

...wait, I just redid it as you'd initially put it thinking that, yet again, *I* had goofed something. I did. Remind me to just be quiet and listen to those that help. Many thanks (especially since your way is MUCH faster since there seems no way to save these values) for the assistance. I humbly return to my character sheet. :hurt:

- Chris S
--> who also goofed posting the ability scores as that total equals 34 points, a 16 should be a 15. Sheesh, where's my editor?!

Yenooc
June 10th, 2007, 08:16
Instead of assigning zero cost to scores 1-8, I was just adding 48 (6x8) to the total points available for distribution. But the 1-8 zero cost way is much better, and more clearly matches the 25/28/32/whatever point-buy systems that are much more familiar to players. It was one of those "Duh" moments. :D

SniperDM
June 10th, 2007, 11:41
On the topic of saving the point buy ranges, it seems the global registry tries to save these values to a table by ruleset, but for whatever reason when you load up FG again the table doesn't get plugged in and ends up being lost. Probably one for the bug list.

Ged
June 12th, 2007, 19:45
Probably one for the bug list.
Thanks, issue noted.