PDA

View Full Version : FG2 won't recognize my module...

Rutherford
June 7th, 2007, 22:57
This is really getting to me, and I'm sure it's my own noob fault, but any help would be much appreciated!

I copied and unzipped an existing module to see how it was all put together, then cleaned it out and put in my own content, checking the xml carefully to make sure I made all the necessary changes, etc. I renamed it, repacked it to a .mod, and plopped it into the modules folder...and nothing. It doesn't show up in the module list in FG2.

I've checked my xml against another nearly identically structured mod file, and I don't see any reason why that one works and mine doesn't. (Granted, I'm a noob at this.) So what am I missing? :confused:

If you need any info from me to help answer this problem, just let me know and you'll get it.

sloejack
June 7th, 2007, 23:46
check your definition.xml and make sure you updated that as well.

Rutherford
June 7th, 2007, 23:56
I just double checked and I think I did...but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

The line from client.xml:

<name type="string">NAMEHERE</name>
has to match this line from definition.xml:

<name>NAMEHERE</name>
right?

The rest of it seems pretty mundane...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.00">
<name>NAMEHERE</name>
<ruleset>d20</ruleset>
<author>MYNAME</author>
</root>

ldyparadox99
June 8th, 2007, 02:07
Make sure that you renamed your rule-set in the base.xml as well as the d20_export.xml (ie YOURNAME_export.xml) to match whatever you're calling your module.

For example my ruleset is called eqd20 so in the base.xml file I put and "eq" infront of anything that had "d20" and renamed the export file to "eqd20_export.xml"

Toadwart
June 8th, 2007, 02:15
Also check that when you 'pack it back up' you aren't creating a subfolder within your .mod.
e.g. if you have an unzipped folder and "right-click->send to (compressed) zipped folder" then your zip file will have the folder inside itself. Instead drill into the folder, highlight all files, right click on one and "send to". Then rename the resulting zip file...

Rutherford
June 8th, 2007, 02:29
Also check that when you 'pack it back up' you aren't creating a subfolder within your .mod.
e.g. if you have an unzipped folder and "right-click->send to (compressed) zipped folder" then your zip file will have the folder inside itself. Instead drill into the folder, highlight all files, right click on one and "send to". Then rename the resulting zip file...

I'm embarrassed to say, that fixed the problem of the module not showing up in the module activation window. :o

However, now when I activate it (open the little book), it refuses to show up in the Library. Any ideas why that would be? Here's a truncated version of the client.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.00">
<library>
<hasharangods static="true">
<name type="string">Hasharan Gods</name>
<categoryname type="string">d20 Essentials</categoryname>
<entries>
<races>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>referenceinlineindex</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</librarylink>

<name type="string">The Pantheon</name>
<index>
<lawfulGood>
<name type="string">Lawful Good</name>
<text type="formattedtext">

blahblahblahblah etc...

Sparing you the long-winded descriptions of the pantheon and whatnot there, but I've re-checked many times and I'm sure I closed all the functions (or tags, or whatever all the little <blah> </blah> pairs are called). So if the problem's in there, hopefully it's in that top bit.

As I previously confessed, I just pretty much copied the structure of another mod file I have and replaced the text content, so... yeah, I'm confused. :confused:

Griogre
June 8th, 2007, 02:52
Assuming your tags are corrects you may have "bad" characters in your file. I would suggest you first make a copy of your file and start deleting parts until it loads. Before you go to that effort I would suggest you delete everthing but the very top level info and see if that works - if it does you know it's not your structure. If it doesn't they your structure is not currect.

Kalan
June 8th, 2007, 06:26
10-1 you have a bad tag in the module somewhere.

Use the XML viewer in IE (right click on the xml file, and use the Open With option). If it is structured correctly, IE will open the file, if it doesn't, it will give you an error message at the point where the file "breaks".

Rutherford
June 8th, 2007, 21:38
10-1 you have a bad tag in the module somewhere.

Use the XML viewer in IE (right click on the xml file, and use the Open With option). If it is structured correctly, IE will open the file, if it doesn't, it will give you an error message at the point where the file "breaks".

That was a really great idea, I have to say. I don't have MS Word which the XML viewer comes with apparently, but I downloaded it and gave it a go. Indeed there was an extra < on a p somwhere that my eyes had missed over and over.

Thank you everyone for your replies and assistance! :D

sloejack
June 9th, 2007, 02:00
That was a really great idea, I have to say. I don't have MS Word which the XML viewer comes with apparently, but I downloaded it and gave it a go. Indeed there was an extra < on a p somwhere that my eyes had missed over and over.

Thank you everyone for your replies and assistance! :D

For what it's worht I use Notepad++ which is free and does some basic handling of XML that helps with those things and has an add on XML module that is invaluable with more fine grained scanning of your xml for finding errors quickly.