PDA

View Full Version : FGII Full and Lite on same PC?

Nilliom
June 7th, 2007, 22:32
Can I have FGII the Full and Lite version at the same time, and if so, how can I update the Lite version of FGI to FG2 since we don't have a link to update the Lite version.

When we client on the link for both it want to install FGII again at the ame place as the Full version.

Can you help?

Thanks

Illrigger
June 8th, 2007, 00:33
Can I have FGII the Full and Lite version at the same time, and if so, how can I update the Lite version of FGI to FG2 since we don't have a link to update the Lite version.

When we client on the link for both it want to install FGII again at the ame place as the Full version.

Can you help?

Thanks
Well, two things:

First, there's really no reason to install Lite on a computer with Full. The old reason was to be able to connect to youself for testing and such, but you can now do that with one copy (as long as it's a Full license).

Second, you use the same installer for both the full and lite versions. When you put the key in, it will download the appropriate files to allow the version you paid for to work.

Nilliom
June 8th, 2007, 12:29
I know that I can now use the same FGII full version for the testing. But the problem that I have is that the same PC that has the full version can be used to create/edit a ruleset (Full version) and will be used by a player in the Lite version when in game, while another PC have the Full version will be use by the GM to host the game.

So that's why I want to be able tro have both version installed on the same PC and be able to update the Lite version to FGII.

Thanks

TarynWinterblade
June 9th, 2007, 07:34
You could still connect to any game using the full version... but somehow I think the problem is a bit different than that.

Am I correct in assuming that you wish to use the same full key on two computers, and one lite key on one computer?

For example:

Computer 1 (ruleset design / player):
Full Key (A)
Lite Key (B)

Computer 2 (hosting):
Full Key (A)

So.. both computers using key A (a full key...), and computer 1 having key B as well?

Nilliom
June 9th, 2007, 15:25
yes that would be the case.

Both computer are not in full version mode at the same time.

But are you saying that I can connect to the full version with the same full version licence installed on another computer and not need to use the Lite version?

Sigurd
June 9th, 2007, 16:38
He's saying that the full version can connect as a client to itself on the same computer. The license structure assumes that the DM will do the development\writing, like the game does.

No the full version cannot be in a game with another copy of the same license.

Illrigger
June 9th, 2007, 18:26
It's not possible, as far as I can tell; there's only one spot in the registry for a key, so there's only one verson that can be allowed at a time.

You MIGHT be able to use VMWare or Virtual PC to get a second install, I've never tried.

Sigurd
June 9th, 2007, 18:45
You could add another hard drive and dual boot?

Seems simpler just to buy another full license.

edfig
October 24th, 2007, 17:02
Second, you use the same installer for both the full and lite versions. When you put the key in, it will download the appropriate files to allow the version you paid for to work.

AH HA!!

This explains why I have only been able to download the LITE version...

Suggestion: This should be made clear int he installer...

joshuha
October 24th, 2007, 21:19
You could make a registry key on the desktop in theory to switch back and forth (and if you want to be fancy a .bat file that switches it).

However, you may run into issues since the files needed may be different between the versions.