PDA

View Full Version : Map Size / Resolution

NymTevlyn
June 6th, 2007, 21:57
What size maps do you use when making layouts for dungeons in FG? I'm trying to collect a bunch of data and create a standardized format for my dungeons and overland maps so that they all work with the tokens without too much resizing.

Griogre
June 7th, 2007, 00:00
My major criteria is file transfer size with some concern about map size. Because of that my maps tend to have different scales. However all other things being equal I like 20 pixels = five foot squares. Many like the 50 pixel squares = 5 feet squares. I have found that squares of less than 5 pixels don't work well. If I am generating a scratch map "in game" I will usually set the grids to same size pixels as my medium monster tokens.

NymTevlyn
June 7th, 2007, 01:01
I'm just trying to find a suitable size that shows enough detail without making the maps too big.

Griogre
June 7th, 2007, 06:06
That is a real problem, honestly, and it really depends on how big your "normal" maps are. I find the 50 per square too big to show what I want on a reasonable size. Half that seems to work better for me. Alot depends on how elaborate or simple your maps are also.

NymTevlyn
June 7th, 2007, 06:22
I think I'm going to go with 30 px tokens for medium size creatures after checking out the size of some stuff from other modules. I can make dungeons just big enough that they're not cumbersome to transfer to the other clients.

Griogre
June 7th, 2007, 07:01
I personally use 32 for medium token sizes mostly because I rounded the portrait size to 64 pixels and 32 was half of that. 32 works for me and 30 is about the size of the tokens that come with FG.

NymTevlyn
June 7th, 2007, 07:21
I came up with 30px after extensive grid sizing inside FG heh. I literally spent probably a half-hour fooling around with various sized tokens, resizing them and resizing the grin on and off, so I could get rid of the bold, not bold lines. Of course, after all that work, and not finding a good solution... I found it by accident.

One click to zoom in on the map clears up the gridline issue on my monitor. *sighs* I waste so much time like that.