PDA

View Full Version : Custom Module Not Linking to Copied Tables

Chinzi
January 7th, 2021, 16:53
Hey All. I'm creating a campaign with very limited class and background options, and so I decided to create a custom character creation module that would display only the open possibilities. I'm running into trouble with some of the table links in class features and backgrounds asking to open the PHB. I'd really like to avoid that, because then it's going to list everything instead of just the campaign relevant options.

Methodology:
- Create a copy of the class/background for the module
- Create a copy of the relevant table
- Move the copied table to "Uncategorized"
- Delete the original links that point to the PHB module
- Drag the link to the copied table to the class feature/background

What's more annoying is that it's working sometimes and not others. Is there something I'm overlooking? Do I need to recreate the tables manually? That would really suck...

Fear Grounds
January 7th, 2021, 17:22
Did you happen to move the tables after you linked them. Links should only be made after everything is exactly where you want it, otherwise they need to be updated.

Example: I link a copied table that is in the uncategorized folder of tables. It works fine. Then I move the table to a specific folder, say "Character creation". Now my links are pointing to a file that no longer exists.

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2021, 17:29
If you re-copy the missing table and re-create the link after it failed the first time, does it start working?
Have you verified that the table you are linking to has been copied and not just moved? And that the link has been updated?

You can open the db.xml file in the campaign and check to see where the link is pointing to. It will have an "@PlayersHandBook" or similar indicating where it is trying to pull the table from. Does that match what you expect?

Can you upload your campaign or module?

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2021, 17:32
If you are getting a message that the table requires the PHB then either the link is still pointing at the PHB or something inside the table needs the PHB. Once you have done copying everything that you want then close the module you are copying from. That way you'll not accidentally link to something that you haven't copied.

It also doesn't matter what group the thing you are linking is in.

Chinzi
January 8th, 2021, 16:50
Hey All. Struggled with this, but now it is resolved. I was having problem with the Spy Background. I went ahead and configured the other possible backgrounds, and they all worked fine. I went back and deleted the custom Spy background. Re copied it and the relinked the tables. It works perfectly now. Super weird. Thanks for your help!

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2021, 17:29
Happy Gaming! Thanks for letting us know you got it resolved and the solution.