PDA

View Full Version : FG2 on linux

DNH
June 5th, 2007, 09:25
i was wondering what the current story is with FG2 on linux? the latest i heard was from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5905&highlight=linux, which suggested that the developers were working on the latest version of ubuntu, but there has been no word in well over a month.

anything to report?

richvalle
June 5th, 2007, 15:05
It doesn't say they are working on it... it says they are going to TRY working on it.

Things seem to be settling down now with FG 2 out and the documentation 'done'. Maybe its something they can get to soon.

rv

glacius
July 10th, 2007, 13:45
Maybe we should petition the developers to produce or port or enable wine capability.

altepeter
July 11th, 2007, 23:13
Just one more user who would like a linux version. Having to boot into windows to use FG is so wierd...

Klingbeil
July 12th, 2007, 04:10
i'd definitely give a big thumbs up for FG being ported to linux sooner than later. i wonder if cider could help bring it to OSX?

glacius
July 12th, 2007, 19:16
Yeah I am ready to help or ontribute in anyway I can. At this time its the only reason I load windows.

mr_h
July 12th, 2007, 20:54
Man I'd love FG2 in Linux.
I tried a while back with FG1 and Wine, but I didnt have much time to toy with it (I was able to install it however).

glacius
July 12th, 2007, 22:44
I tried with cedega 6 and no success

tdwyer11b
July 13th, 2007, 00:03
Has anyone tried using Qemu yet to run this in emulation?

Mainframemouse
August 29th, 2007, 14:24
I'm playing around with Qemu at the moment. Need to get the PTAP network interface working correctly. Once done I can tell you how it works under emulation.

glacius
August 29th, 2007, 18:59
yeah let us know that would be awesome

TaranShannara
October 7th, 2007, 16:29
I tried FG2 with vmware server but current version doesn't support directx. So that route is out for the moment.

I'm currently trying to get FG2 running with wine 0.9.46,
System:
FC7-x64, Intel Core 2 Duo
nVidia GeForce 7300GS PCIx
Using local network for testing, W2k GM, linux GM and linux Player.

Overall Summary:
Kind of works out of the box; Both windowed and full screen. Appears to have screen refresh issues. Background

Install with GM license:
works. runs updater

Uninstall GM version:
Seems to keep some info around, see below.

Install with player license:
works. runs updater. Session history from GM test was still there.

AS PLAYER VERSION:
Main screen:
same issues as GM version.

Update(r):
All indications are that it updates correctly. Looks the same as WinXP test.

Create and View Local Characters:
Crashes.

Join a Game as a Player:
Work sort of... had crash problem where it times out once but then restarted and it worked.. Sometimes when screen refreshes, only part of it does.
Chat from player is transmitted to GM. GM lighting effects do not seem to do anything. Background in log window is blank (black), hence GM text is unreadable. Colors for dice change correctly. Library modules can be read, shared sheets from GM work.

AS GM VERSION:
Main screen: Release notes don't show up in the scroll window. Left as a blank window. Viewing d20 ruleset license pulls up a blank window. Almost like a path or registery setting not correct.

Update(r):
All indications are that it updates correctly. Looks the same as W2k baseline.

Create and View Local Characters:
dies rolling, changing colors on dice, looking up d20 modules work, typing in character sheet works.

Join a Game as a Player:
TBD.

Host Game as a Gamemaster:
appears to crash as the process goes away. wine log shows a wait timed out in the thread, blocked by 0014, retrying. Then attempts to start debugger.

Will post my detailed results/log files/how-to here as I get them:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=3757

Rasmus
December 4th, 2007, 16:44
Hey. I'm new to Linux, but love it so far and will probably be staying with that. I would love to see a smooth functioning FG on Linux (through wine or whatever)

Host Game as a Gamemaster:
appears to crash as the process goes away. wine log shows a wait timed out in the thread, blocked by 0014, retrying. Then attempts to start debugger.

So?!?! you can't host a game...makes the whole thing a bit useless doesn't it?!

Has anybody had a succesful game session over FG on Linux...or is Taran the only person ever had it running:confused:

Rasmus
December 10th, 2007, 22:53
sooo basically I better start getting use to OpenRpg or KloOge...

TaranShannara
December 11th, 2007, 16:45
I'll try it again with the latest Cedaga.

hcjiv1
January 19th, 2008, 23:19
I'd like to submit my vote! I am a log time Linux user and in fact the only ms windows machine I have is my work laptop. I would love to use FG on my home machine.

osarusan
May 26th, 2008, 08:10
I would absolutely love to use FG2 on wine.

I test it out every time a new wine version is released. The game looks like it could run just fine if only the screen blanking problem was fixed. However, I haven't yet tested networking either.

Andugus
May 26th, 2008, 18:44
There are a handful of applications that compel me to keep a windows workstation: Fantasy Grounds II, DDO, and Genetica II. Now, I use a Mac Pro, not a Linux OS. I would prefer that everything work on the Mac and leave Windows to those that have the time to "tweak" & reboot as necessary.

TaranShannara
May 26th, 2008, 18:48
Have you tied FG2 on a Mac using Transgaming's Cider?

I'll need to reboot and try with Cedega again as there have been some updates to the engine I had.

Andugus
May 26th, 2008, 22:34
I have not. After Parallels 3.0 failed and news of VMWares failure to refresh screens I am waiting.

EndingPop
June 12th, 2008, 18:51
I am able to install and run FG2 on Ubuntu Hardy using Wine. I have not enabled the proprietary graphics drivers due to general instability. The window has refresh issues, as mentioned by an earlier poster.

Any updates on this from the developers?

liquidity
August 28th, 2008, 23:27
I also would like to see FG2 on Linux. I'm sure it will happen eventually I DM for two groups of 6 and I'm sure both groups would find it useful.

However I dont use windows at all.

EndingPop
September 8th, 2008, 02:26
I've actually played a game using FG on Linux through Wine v1.1.3. The core stuff seems to work, but there's still some video issues.

As mentioned in the FG2 AppDb entry (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=13541), the screen flashes black every time something on the screen updates. This is particularly annoying when someone rolls a die, since the whole time it disappears into the desktop it refreshes.

I had some issues seeing some tokens. Also, the GM unmasked the map several times, and sometimes it wouldn't update for me. My map would still be centered properly, just the mask didn't update to let me see what was there.

If these issues could be worked out, I think FG on Wine would be golden.

Illrigger
September 8th, 2008, 08:03
https://www.vmware.com/products/beta/ws/releasenotes_ws65_beta.html#features

Same new 3d accel as VMWare Fusion 2 beta, which means it's likely that FG2 eill run properly in an XP guest. Of course, you'll have to run a REAL linux version rather than Ubuntu, but you guys should be pro enough to handle that. CentOS is the only way to go nowadays anyway.

Virginal raccoon
January 2nd, 2009, 12:52
If you people could use the Wine Bugzilla to report, confirm and vote for bugs you encounter (like this one https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14924), that hopefully would make the Wine developers to notice and maybe also to correct the problems we are having with FG.

Thanks.

-VR

osarusan
February 15th, 2009, 04:14
The other week Windows was having port issues right before game so I had to reboot into Linux and cross my fingers that the test install I had set up would run.

It did. FG runs out of the box in wine! Players could connect, maps and such transferred -- in short, the game functioned as well as could be hoped.

Of course, as mentioned, visually it's like staring into a strobe light. Also, using the mask on map layers was a tad slow... but otherwise, the game does function. Hopefully wine will be able to correct the refresh rate problems sometime in the future.

Virginal raccoon
February 17th, 2009, 11:37
Do the FG developers have any idea what's causing the flickering of the UI-elements with Wine?

osarusan
February 18th, 2009, 15:27
It's a DirectX issue, as FG runs in DirectX. I have no idea if anything can be adjusted on the FG end rather than through Wine. It's something Wine developers will need to be repeatedly notified about if it's ever going to get fixed.

00Davo
February 25th, 2009, 01:57
Installed FGII into Ubuntu Intrepid, with Wine 1.0.1. It seems to run fine, except for the update flickering.

Virginal raccoon
February 25th, 2009, 06:50
Installed FGII into Ubuntu Intrepid, with Wine 1.0.1. It seems to run fine, except for the update flickering.

That seems to be the problem for everyone. More about it here:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14924

00Davo
February 25th, 2009, 10:23
It's a DirectX issue, as FG runs in DirectX.
Hmm. A lot of applications run in DirectX, and many of them run perfectly in Wine. Apparently, FG is using some strange, unknown component of DirectX, which no other DirectX application uses.

How does FG handle screen updating? That seems to be the main issue.

Oberoten
February 25th, 2009, 12:17
Yes, a lot of programs use DirectX. Both lower and most curent. FG uses direct X 9.0 and up. Nothing too mystical there really.

- Obe

Virginal raccoon
February 25th, 2009, 15:30
Yes, a lot of programs use DirectX. Both lower and most curent. FG uses direct X 9.0 and up. Nothing too mystical there really.

Do those error messages mentioned in the Wine bug report give any hint about what's going on?

00Davo
February 25th, 2009, 21:41
FG uses direct X 9.0 and up.
As do many programs that work.

FG must be using some obscure function that's not properly programmed in the Wine DirectX implementation. Maybe FG's devs could provide source excerpts so that the Wine devs can locate and fix the problem?

ErsatzPyre
February 25th, 2009, 22:42
I dunno if the devs wanna float that around...passin source around might put an apple in their throats...

00Davo
February 26th, 2009, 05:42
I dunno if the devs wanna float that around...passin source around might put an apple in their throats...
Uh... "put an apple in their throats"???

Not the entire source, mind - just problematic slices of the update function.

ErsatzPyre
February 26th, 2009, 15:48
Yeah, understood. Just not sure how willing they'd be to put any source in the open.

The lump you get in your throat when highly nervous about something.
I think its a phrase from my current whereabouts, please pardon...I can forget that sometimes. :)

00Davo
February 27th, 2009, 11:04
Yeah, understood. Just not sure how willing they'd be to put any source in the open.
Probably right - FG does cost money, after all.

Some sort of communication between FG and Wine devs seems to be required, however. :(

ErsatzPyre
February 27th, 2009, 22:37

Some sort of communication between FG and Wine devs seems to be required, however. :(

Yeah.
Well here's to hoping! Though I think thats less likely than them just coming up with a version themselves, to be honest. Either way would be nice...

Virginal raccoon
February 28th, 2009, 09:47

Well, at least I (and very possibly many other people) would buy FG if it would work with Wine. So cooperating with Wine developers would be also financially beneficial, and probably cheaper than developing a separate Linux-version.

osarusan
March 18th, 2009, 15:18
Yes, it would be wonderful if the FG developers would do something to that effect... In the meantime though, I think the best thing we can all do is register at the wine bug database and vote for Fantasy Grounds. If it gets enough votes, the wine developers will look at it too.

Majidah
June 15th, 2009, 20:48
Necromancy!

Has anyone else had problems with updating in Wine? FG2 installed fine and updates fine, but when I click "done" it just disappears instead of starting. I'm sure I'm missing something very basic, do I need any native dlls or something?

Tenian
June 15th, 2009, 23:07
FG2 update problems are often a license issue. Something about keys being entered with dashes or without dashes or something. Search the forums for updater problem threads you should find several.

gandb
August 1st, 2009, 00:28
I stoped use FG because this =(

I migrate to Linux Ubuntu and FG not work via Wine.

FG team, please search wine team and fix this, please =)

Virginal raccoon
August 4th, 2009, 19:39
I'm also still waiting for a FG version that would work with Wine. Hey there, developers, there are potential customers around here!

gandb
August 27th, 2009, 17:09
In last version, FG is more stable.

But the black screen is very very bad. :cry:

If any change, please announce here

No FG today :(

Ged
August 27th, 2009, 21:03
This (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=77619&postcount=23) link points to the most recent information about Linux compatibility.

gandb
August 27th, 2009, 22:21
Very very Tanxs!

:)

mr_h
September 2nd, 2009, 01:52
Just this evening I tested FG2 Lite on a box running Ubuntu and the latest wine (I dont have version numbers handy).

Using the -r switch, FG ran just fine under linux for me on a quick test:)

EugeneZ
September 2nd, 2009, 14:23
In my quick smoke test, FG2 ran fast enough in the latest Wine that I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Windows version. :)

gandb
September 4th, 2009, 00:41
-r
:confused:

Just this evening I tested FG2 Lite on a box running Ubuntu and the latest wine (I dont have version numbers handy).

Using the -r switch, FG ran just fine under linux for me on a quick test:)

mr_h
September 4th, 2009, 01:14
-r
:confused:

Check out this thread (https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10846). The very first point by Goblin King:

In an attempt to improve performance running Fantasy Grounds on other operating systems when using Windows compatibility software such as Wine, a command line option for continuous complete screen refreshes was added. To run with this option, start the program with "FantasyGrounds.exe -r". Please note that this can dramatically decrease performance on lower end systems.

gandb
September 4th, 2009, 02:31
Work! Work! Work! Work! Work! Work! Work!

Very slow, but work!

Tanxs!!! :) :) :) :) :)

snafusan
March 22nd, 2010, 03:20
Is there any fix for the black background on the chat windows? One of my group only uses Linux (I play too many games - otherwise I'd be the same) and can't read the text. Since I'm on a very poor connection at the moment and lacking a mic - Skype isn't an option for us. He can see coloured text, just not the black text. Most other features seem to be working fine.

Is there a way/hack around to force different coloured text? I'm toying with the idea of overwriting the fgf files on his machine but I don't know if that's a fruitless pursuit?

Thanks
- Steve

snafusan
March 22nd, 2010, 04:31
Is there a way/hack around to force different coloured text? I'm toying with the idea of overwriting the fgf files on his machine but I don't know if that's a fruitless pursuit?

After some digging with my group member, we found something that works for the rolemaster ruleset. I'm assuming other rulesets have it aswell. You might find this an issue with public games where everything has to sync up, but if you're having the black text on black issue, we found a file in:

Application Data/Fantasy Grounds II/rulesets/RolemasterClassic/bmpfonts.xml

(Where App Data is your app data folder..)

Editting that will let you change the HTML colour codes of the text making it readable for all. I'm using a nice light blue as this doesn't look too hideous and you can of course dish out a darker skin if you're the GM.

Perhaps create an xml file that works for you (1,$ s/#000000/#336699/g in vi will do the trick) and give that to your GM if you're having this issue.

Cheers,
- Steve

alkon
November 25th, 2010, 10:40
hello

Ubuntu 10.10 and I have version 1.3 of wine.

E grounds.exe executed fantasy-r, but does not start FG: (

The installation went perfectly and e chosen mode of installation for linux.

Someone could help me run the FGII in Linux?

A greeting and thanks

Riam
December 13th, 2010, 23:13
Hi,

I experience the same problems with FGII +*wine 1.2 on linux 10.04
FG*doesn't start. Nothing happens.*

Have you got some tips to give to make it works ?

Thanks,

Riam

Riam
December 16th, 2010, 23:04
I solved my problem with
-wine 1.3.8 run with PlayOnLinux, launching the program with the POL-interface itself (and not the shortcut on my desktop).

Good luck for those who try to :(

Riam

sturtus
September 14th, 2011, 15:23
I was able to get FG to run in a VM without any hardware acceleration, running Ubuntu 11, and PlayOnLinux as my Wine GUI, much like those previously mentioned in this thread. It was dreadfully slow, but it worked.

Once any hardware acceleration was introduced to the VM (enabled 3D acceleration in VirtualBox), the dreaded "requires DirectX 9" error pops up when launching FG, despite having installed DirectX 9 in my Wine prefix.

The really strange thing to me is that this software works REALLY well in Crossover for Mac (been GM'ing a game for about two years in that environment), but bombs in Crossover for Linux and all Wine flavors therein. These are all different flavors of Wine, so what is the distinction between these two?

Zeus
September 14th, 2011, 15:37
Sturtus - I would check the wine bottle's configuration using the WineConfig tool. Its sounds like your Wine config maybe setup to use the in-built DirectX libraries as opposed to the libraries that are bundled with FGII in it's program folder.

In most Wine bottle setups its possible to define as to whether an application uses native libraries or in-built versions. In CrossOver for Mac, setting the options to anything other than native causes FGII app faults for me.

Just a suggestion.

bugmenot
September 14th, 2011, 18:37
I play Fantasy Grounds 2 with Wine perfectly but in the modules, when I open a windows like feats the screen do a vertical flip.

What is the problem?

https://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8324/fallofg.jpg

P.D.: Excuse me for my english

Moon Wizard
September 15th, 2011, 04:14
I haven't seen that before. Perhaps it is a language/locale setting issue? I'm not familiar with Wine, but see if there is a language/locale setting that you can change.

Regards,
JPG

bugmenot
September 15th, 2011, 16:09
No, I don't use any extension. I just use rulesets and modules

Zeus
September 15th, 2011, 16:21
That looks like the standard fonts but the image is rendered upside down and reversed. Weird.

joshuha
September 15th, 2011, 17:05
Just turn the monitor upside down and look at it through a mirror. :)

Honestly though that has to be some weird Wine issue. Its also weird that it only starts to happen when a module is opened. Is it any module or only those of large size? If its a large size thing then that may point to some memory threshold of some sort.

bugmenot
September 15th, 2011, 21:29
This happen when open large list of things like feats, weapons, spells, etc. But, in some cases, this is solved when I move the mouse wheel. If not, close the window, imagining where the button should be.

If I am a player the GM can select everything for me. However I can not be a GM as well.

I need solve this

Herodian
September 17th, 2011, 00:31
Since long lists are scrollable, scrolling with your mouse wheel sometimes fixes it, and no one has seen this on windows, the signs point to Wine mishandling/misinterpreting some scrolling behavior.

The module itself might be an innocent bystander if this is true. Try making a long list in a story entry and see if the problem occurs when you open that. Fill the chat log and scroll it up and down. Have you tried scrolling around on a large image?

None of this will help solve the problem, exactly, but I hope it will help identify what the source of the problem is so you can ask help from Wine experts.

bugmenot
September 17th, 2011, 15:08
Ok, I've tried. The story and the chat don't cause problems. The large images just cause problems if I try move or resize (with ctrl button) the window.

sturtus
March 23rd, 2012, 00:15
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
2 GB RAM
Wine 1.3.28
Ubuntu 32-bit fresh install
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Fantasy\ Grounds\ II
wine Fantasy\ Grounds.exe -r

works very well.

osarusan
April 7th, 2012, 01:43
So here's something odd:

I have been using FG on wine perfectly for years, not a hitch at all.

This month I upgraded to the Ubuntu 12.04 beta. Now I can't get FG to work properly.

The game still installs and runs perfecty. The problem comes from the FG updater.

When I try to update FG, the updater loads, and then just sits there. It never appears to contact the update server or do anything at all. It's not unresponsive -- I can quit it, or click "Done" and go back to the main FG window. I just can't update the game. What's going on?

Moon Wizard
April 7th, 2012, 06:36
This is the first I've heard. Perhaps it is an issue with the Ubuntu beta?

If you're having the problem with 2.8.1, then I'm not sure what the issue is.

In the v2.9 beta, I have been slowly rewriting the updater to remove dependencies for the Linux/Mac crowd. You can try out the installer for that version in the Laboratory forums, but only if you want to be running the beta.

Regards,
JPG

joeru
April 7th, 2012, 11:59
Have you checked that the default firewall is either disabled or set to allow the FG updater through? It's a different executive file.

osarusan
April 8th, 2012, 13:34
I'm pretty sure its not a firewall thing.

It must be an issue with the Ubuntu beta... perhaps it will iron itself out by the end of the month for the official release. It would be nice to know if anyone else is having any issues with Wine 1.4 or later.

Funny, because other wine apps are running really well on Ubuntu 12.04 so far... and FG runs great other than the updater. For now I'll let it be until the official 12.04 release and see if that changes anything.

Ruien
June 2nd, 2012, 11:45
Just as a data point, I'm running FG under Wine on Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64 and having no issues, including with the updater.

I am using crossover's wine for this one, but I am fairly certain the same would be true of the stable wine (1.4) and probably even the latest (1.5.5) via the PPA or compiled from source. I can do any of those tests if there is interest.

Note that I did choose the Linux compatibility mode during the initial install. Many, many thanks to the devs for designing for compatibility with wine specifically. My hat's off to you guys for that, and it really makes a big difference. :)

ryntak4536
August 29th, 2012, 14:23
I have recently moved to ubuntu 12.04, from Windows 7. I'm running my laptop with both side by side (Win 7 and Ubuntu). I've been able to get Wine to open FGII, but although I provide Fantasy Grounds with my 'full' license key, after it runs through everything, and boots up, it only shows 'join' and 'create demo campaign', and a few other similar things.

It's what I would expect for only the player view; it's not what I see in the Win 7 side of my laptop. In other words, I don't have the option to open (or create) campaigns.

Any help is appreciated.

bislab
August 29th, 2012, 15:03
I got FG2 to run just fine using the Savage worlds modules, and the Rolemaster modules. I'm using ubuntu 12.04 With a quad core AMD proc. 4 gigs of memory and an Nvidia card. I installed it under 'play on linux' which is free software and uses wine. It works wonderfully, even faster than it runs under my windows boxes.

bislab
August 30th, 2012, 02:14
I have recently moved to ubuntu 12.04, from Windows 7. I'm running my laptop with both side by side (Win 7 and Ubuntu). I've been able to get Wine to open FGII, but although I provide Fantasy Grounds with my 'full' license key, after it runs through everything, and boots up, it only shows 'join' and 'create demo campaign', and a few other similar things.

It's what I would expect for only the player view; it's not what I see in the Win 7 side of my laptop. In other words, I don't have the option to open (or create) campaigns.

Any help is appreciated.

Also using the same version of Ubutu and DURING the installation process, it did not take my license key either, but once the program is up and running, I was able to enter my license number just fine.

ddavison
August 30th, 2012, 03:47

Any help is appreciated.

After putting in your Full license key in the Settings window, did you force another Update by clicking the Update available? I would recommend trying that to force it to download and install the correct build of the EXE.

hawkwind
November 4th, 2012, 20:15
I successfully installed FG on Ubuntu 12.04 and it seems to start and everything but I am having trouble finding the data folder to add my own content and extra modules , any ideas any one?

Zeus
November 4th, 2012, 21:05
Try looking under ~/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds II/

hawkwind
November 4th, 2012, 21:40
thanks, I have just discovered the delights of the winefile command, the file browser is giving me horrible flash backs to windows 3.10

Savage Wulfgar
November 30th, 2013, 05:18
Hi Zeus,

I'm hoping you can elaborate on what you said here;

"Zeus
Try looking under ~/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds II/"

I'm trying to attach a character portrait to my character sheet, running Fantasy Grounds II in Linux under Wine. I understand I have to put it into a directory, but I've researched for hours, and I can't figure out which one. Currently, in the directory you quote above, I have 'modules', and 'extensions' directories.

Where can I upload my character portrait so the other folks that I play with can see it?

Thank you in advance!

Trenloe
November 30th, 2013, 06:00
Currently, in the directory you quote above, I have 'modules', and 'extensions' directories.

Where can I upload my character portrait so the other folks that I play with can see it?

Thank you in advance!
Create a new directory called portraits (in the same directory as modules and extensions) and add your image files to that directory.