PDA

View Full Version : NPC Ready Actions

Vam
January 6th, 2021, 13:44
In my last session I had just over 20 goblins fighting a party of 5 PCs. Goblins have "Nimble Escape" and were able to either disengage and run if they were in melee, or run and hide if they were using bows. Some were out of range to make any attack, and I had them ready their bows for when a PC came into range.

With that number of NPCs there was no way I could remember who had an attack readied, who was hidden, and of so what they got on their dex check to hide.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of a scratch story entry I can just make notes in like a pad of paper, but it would be awesome to be able to "flag" NPCs or store a roll like the dex check to refer back to.

How do you handle scenarios like this?

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2021, 13:47
Create effects of 'Ready' and 'Hidden' in the effects dialog and drag them onto the NPCs as needed.

Vam
January 6th, 2021, 13:50
"Immortal Supreme Deity" indeed... Thanks Zacchaeus!

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2021, 17:10
Yep, as Mr Z says. I use effects for notes all the time on my NPCs. Note that you can toggle the effects to be invisible to the players if you want.

DM_BK
January 8th, 2021, 05:03
Ready Actions use the creatures reaction when triggered. There is a little circle in one of the CT buttons for each entry (can't recall which) that allows you to check off that they used a reaction. Might he easier then dragging over effects but really, either way works.

Vam
January 8th, 2021, 12:10
That's cool, next to the Initiative. I don't think I've noticed it before.

I think I'll use the effect to indicate that they've readied a reaction and the reaction checkbox to indicate that they've used it. Another good tip - thanks.

I tried adding something to the "Hiding" effect to get it to roll a dex check but had no luck. I think I'll roll it manually and just add it to the effect text in the combat tracker.

It would be really nice to have easier access to the character's passive perception, but not a really big deal to open the character sheet when needed.

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2021, 13:18
PCs passive perception is noted on the Party sheet.

Vam
January 8th, 2021, 23:03
Aha, thanks Zacchaeus - I'd seen that on FGC but I think having it under AC on FGU threw me off. Or maybe it was just me - I'm on a 64 bit mac now and can't double check FGC. In any case, thanks, it is very helpful having it all in one place like that.