PDA

View Full Version : new to gm

starrius
June 4th, 2007, 18:38
i decided to get the full version and was wondering how to modify spells and feats?

I am considering running a game but before i do it i want to modify the files so i can have ALL the new spells and feats from all the completes and other souces i wish to use

help!!!!

acmer
June 4th, 2007, 18:46
Somewhere else was mentioned that if you directly modify the files that have the spells and feats, an update might wipe them. Consider making a copy of the original ones and filling the extras up there as an additional module.

Altough I don't know how to do that, sorry :(

starrius
June 4th, 2007, 19:34
i read that post i was thinking i could make it into a folder for my own game

Kalan
June 4th, 2007, 19:39
i read that post i was thinking i could make it into a folder for my own game

You're best bet is to include them as their own module. The easiest way to do this is just copy the format used by the existing modules. It's not as hard to work with the .mod files as it is with the ruleset files - it just takes some time (grab 7zip tho - it makes it a little easier to work with the mod files as you won't have to mess around with renaming things!)

My suggestion tho is to get Notepad++ for your editing - as it has a feature that allows you to expand/compact nodes to make it easier for data entry :)

NymTevlyn
June 4th, 2007, 19:47
I tried making my own module, and while it would show up in the window where the GM shares them with the players, it wouldn't show up in the list of modules when you click the button on the side.

starrius
June 4th, 2007, 20:03
is that the best way to modify it i am not the most computer literate

Kalan
June 4th, 2007, 20:23
I tried making my own module, and while it would show up in the window where the GM shares them with the players, it wouldn't show up in the list of modules when you click the button on the side.

In order for the module information to load up in the "rulebook" section of the FG window - you have to actually "open" the book in the module window. If it is coded correctly, then it will show up in the library.

And to answer Starrius' question - as far as I'm aware, this is the only way to get information into FGII (aside from keying it all in by hand in FG using the Story editor like you would if you were to key in an adventure).

I and a few others have used this method - and it works wonderfully (now at least!). When/if I get some more free time (I have my own project under way, as well as some work for some other companies to finish up), I will see if I can't offer a little more advice :)

But if you have specific questions on Module creation, I'll be more than willing to answer them either in the public forums, over on my own forums (www.kalanskorner.co.uk) or via email/PM.

ldyparadox99
June 4th, 2007, 20:43
Howdy.

The spell book has been my pet project since FG2 came out. I don't have time at this moment since I'm running a game and am on break...but I promise to help out tomorrow.

Just a quick word, the easiest way to go is to just create a whole new ruleset since some modifications won't take if you're just modifying the d20spells.mod or the other files.

Once you create a new ruleset and a spells.mod for your ruleset, delete out the old spells and add the ones you want.

You do have to make sure all the files in the .mod pointing towards the ruleset is named for the ruleset or it won't show up. And any typos in the .mod file will cause it not to show up as well.

starrius
June 4th, 2007, 20:46
where is create new ruleset?

Kalan
June 5th, 2007, 05:51
where is create new ruleset?

Check out the library for some quick pointers:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/

starrius
June 5th, 2007, 08:24
i'm looking at xml editors and i'm confused do i need to know xml.....

ldyparadox99
June 5th, 2007, 09:35
A lot of the process for creating a new ruleset is explained in the documentation of the link Kalan gave you, as well as in the Workshop (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)

As far as xml editors, I used to use Crimson (a free editor) at one time, a lot use Notebook +++, now I use Oxygen which has free 30 day trials but costs a little bit if you want to buy it (and I've flat out fallen in love with this editor because I love how it's layed out).

What you want to look for in an editor is something that will alert you to syntax errors in html and xml. Because as I said before, if you simply forget a </p>, your .mod file won't show up in the library. Really, bottom line, which editor you use doesn't matter because it goes along the line of personal choice.

Do you need to know xml? Not really unless you want to start changing how FG looks and runs (then you also need to know a little .lua as well). For example, I needed to change some things in how spells are shown when the program is run...ie, I needed a line for mana and recast time. So I had to go and find in the ruleset files where to do this and once that was found I had to know how to add those in. Xml is a pretty logical language so it's easy to add little things if you have to. Plus, as I said before, the workshop is a great how-to area.