PDA

View Full Version : Looking for players to join (mid-stage-ish) campaign - Out of the Abyss 5e - EST Wknd

Auron Starglider
January 3rd, 2021, 19:35
I am no longer looking for players to this campaign for now - if I need to recruit once more, I shall update this thread. Thank you all for your interest.

Due to story events in the campaign, I feel that I will be able to introduce more players without much of a hitch.

The starting level will be level 9 (same as the party), and I will be using the linked below table to determine starting gear for the new people (though I will grant new equipment at my discretion).
https://orkerhulen.dk/DnD%205th/Starting%20at%20higher%20levels.pdf

Pertinent information (at the top, of course.):

Sundays (though sometimes Saturdays) - 2:00 PM EST / 19:00 UTC
Voice: Discord
Client: Fantasy Grounds Classic (I have the ultimate edition, so you would only need the demo to play).
Twitch or other streaming / recording: No

A couple of things I would like to point out:

1) If you are new to Fantasy Grounds, let me know - I generally prefer to try to get newly joining players set up before game day, and if you need pointers on either 5E rule sets and/or Fantasy Grounds usage, I am more than happy to help. I should generally be able to boot the server up for you to make a character so long as we can agree on a mutual time / date.

2) I allow multi-classing in my campaign so long as you meet the prerequisites per the Player's Handbook (13 in a given stat).

3) I will use Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, BUT (and it is a big one), I will not allow the switching of subclasses once you pick it. Artificers are also not a thing in this campaign. The reason for this is because I feel that the choices you make as a player should have both meaning, and consequence. As for the Artificer matter, I feel that they're more suited to a relatively more high-tech setting like Ravnica and Eberron.

4) I am using other supplements as well! 1) Of Warlocks and Patrons for additional patron choices, invocations, etc. 2) Kobold Press' Deep Magic for 5E because I have felt that the player's spell selection was always a bit lacking. 3) I am also running the Tome of Monsters 1 and 2 from Kobold Press, along with several other publications that are not strictly Wizards of the Coast (whom I am also using). I mention this in case one might think it a deal breaker for any who might be opposed to the use of third party supplements.

With that being said - here are the rules I've pinned on my discord, which I shall make visible for transparency:

1) Players may start with one feat (variant humans get 2) on character creation.

2) Multi-classing: You will be able to multi-class into a new class. As for at character creation: You may multiclass into any class you want as long as you meet the prerequisite of 13 in a required stat going into and leaving from a given class (wisdom for Druid and Cleric, Charisma for Paladins, Sorcerers, and Warlocks, Strength for Barbarians and Fighters, Intelligence for Wizards, and so on). Example: You start as a Fighter 1 - you decide to become a cleric 1 and a warlock 1. To get all this: You need to have 13 strength to leave fighter, 13 wisdom to go into and leave from Cleric, and 13 Charisma to go into and leave from Warlock into a new class (but not for putting more levels into the other two classes).

3) I will not be using the attainment of advantage on flanking attacks. No advantage on flanking attacks unless you are a rogue who has not used their sneak attack yet.

4) You can multi-class on character creation, and can continue in each of those classes after creation.

5) Character Creation shall use the following rules: Roll 4d6 7 times, drop the lowest roll out of the 4d6, and drop the lowest result of the 7 rolls.

6) Alternatively, you can use Standard Array if you are not satisfied with your rolls (if you have a total net-negative for your stat modifiers, you may re-roll once, and if not satisfied still, can use Standard Array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)

7) Prohibited Materials (they won't be available for you to load): Unearthed Arcana, Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, and anything related to Eberron or another Plane of Existence - this is Forgotten Realms. (DM's addition in this post: I've also learned that some of the spells granted by the guilds can be pretty busted when used on a Warlock - fun stuff though!).

8) I would like for the players to state their intentions behind making a roll. For instance, if you want to investigate something, try to persuade someone, or what have you, please declare your intentions BEFORE the roll is made. If a roll is made without declaring one's intentions behind the roll BEFOREHAND, the roll will be discarded. The reason behind this rule implementation is because I am finding that trying to adjudicate undeclared rolls is becoming disruptive.

Though I've not listed it on my discord rules, I would like to add a few other additional points:

- If a player comes up with something reasonably creative, I am pro-rule of cool. However, to balance rule of cool with rule of practicality, I will use a d100 to adjudicate the matter - on a roll of 1-50 your idea, attempt, plan fails. on a roll of 51-100, it succeeds! By leaving it up to the dice to decide, I give my players the freedom to try to make the game "theirs" - as you have a 50/50 chance, and the d100 is never modified (for or against you).

If you've made it to the bottom of this post, and are still interested, feel free to PM me! :)

Kurrgen
January 3rd, 2021, 20:40
Hello, my name is Scott, and i would be interested in Joining your game. I am pretty new to 5e and fantasy ground but played many many years from 1st ed. thru 3.5. I do have FGU ultimate license and most of the official supplements. I have almost 250 hours into learning FGU and 5e so i am pretty comfortable with how everything works and 5e, I just have not actually played as of yet. I don't think the higher starting level would be a big issue for me, and i pick things up pretty quickly. I appreciate your consideration and i hope to hear back from you. My Discord is Kurrgen#8683.

Auron Starglider
January 3rd, 2021, 20:53
FANTASTIC! Thank you for your interest! A PM has been sent!

I am still looking for a few more players. :)

MikeBernard
January 4th, 2021, 02:55
Hi! I'm currently looking for a group to join. I've been playing 5e for a few years now, currently DM'ing for my usual group, so I'd be able to join another campaign for at least a couple months.

Auron Starglider
January 4th, 2021, 14:45
Thank you for your interest, Mike! I have sent you a PM. I look forward to discussing the details with you.