PDA

View Full Version : Rifts or Hell On Earth

Niles
January 1st, 2021, 23:07
Which is a better post apocalyptic modern setting? Rifts or Hell On Earth and why would you recommend them? I'm starting a new campaign and am having trouble deciding between the two.

Doswelk
January 4th, 2021, 10:05
HOE is Deadlands after WWIII, so you can use all the western tropes, just add hi-tech weaponry.

So Deadwood meets Mad Max is possible.

Someone else will have to talk about Rifts...

Niles
January 4th, 2021, 16:53
HOE is Deadlands after WWIII, so you can use all the western tropes, just add hi-tech weaponry.

So Deadwood meets Mad Max is possible.

Someone else will have to talk about Rifts...

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards Hell on Earth. Do you know if they will ever get Hell on Earth modules for Fantasy Grounds?

Ikael
January 4th, 2021, 18:44
Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards Hell on Earth. Do you know if they will ever get Hell on Earth modules for Fantasy Grounds?

There is already Hell On Earth modules available for Fantasy Grounds.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=S2P100017FG2

Doswelk
January 4th, 2021, 23:12

About three years ago :P

Niles
January 5th, 2021, 05:05
There is already Hell On Earth modules available for Fantasy Grounds.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=S2P100017FG2

I own those, I meant adventure modules

Doswelk
January 5th, 2021, 09:12
There aren't any HOE adventure modules, unless you mean the plot point campaign, which I thought I had converted, but cannot find on the store :s

Niles
January 5th, 2021, 16:51
There aren't any HOE adventure modules, unless you mean the plot point campaign, which I thought I had converted, but cannot find on the store :s

I've found some old pdf modules online like The Perils of The Co-Kan Run and The Worm's Turn. What is the plot point campaign you're talking about?

mac40k
January 5th, 2021, 18:58
I've found some old pdf modules online like The Perils of The Co-Kan Run and The Worm's Turn. What is the plot point campaign you're talking about?

The Worms’ Turn is the PPC for HOE: Reloaded, but as Doswelk notes, it is not currently available in the FG store. Although it is nice to have official FG content where all the work is already done for you, it is also easy to run games from the pdf. You don’t have to recreate the entire book in FG like an official module and can just copy/paste the NPCs, Edges, Hindrances, etc. that you need access to. I find that even when I have FG adventure modules, I tend to run from the pdf because it is easier and quicker for me to look up and reference stuff in the pdf on my iPad than hunt for it in the FG module. That’s just me though.

Niles
January 5th, 2021, 19:23
The Worms’ Turn is the PPC for HOE: Reloaded, but as Doswelk notes, it is not currently available in the FG store. Although it is nice to have official FG content where all the work is already done for you, it is also easy to run games from the pdf. You don’t have to recreate the entire book in FG like an official module and can just copy/paste the NPCs, Edges, Hindrances, etc. that you need access to. I find that even when I have FG adventure modules, I tend to run from the pdf because it is easier and quicker for me to look up and reference stuff in the pdf on my iPad than hunt for it in the FG module. That’s just me though.

I totally agree. That is how I run most of my adventure modules, just reading from the pdf. All I have to do is lift maps out of them and put them in FG. However, I do notice that Pinnacle doesn't put a lot of maps in their adventure modules.

IceBear
January 8th, 2021, 00:59
The main thing about Rifts is the setting allows you to have literally anything in it. In one campaign we played we ran into Godzilla (well an egg that would have hatched into a baby Godzilla and pissed off mom but we managed to get it back first) and a crashed space hulk with space marines and genestealers.

Rifts is not really a post apocalyptic setting anymore as civilization has rebuilt itself...it's just not as nice as before.

If you want true post apocalyptic then Hell on Earth is closer

Also...Rifts is Savage Worlds on steroids. Things routinely have Toughness of more than 20 (sometimes 30) with huge damage dice. It was my group's first time in Savage Worlds so we appreciated the lower numbers of most other settings when we tried them