PDA

View Full Version : Cannot host games on specific computer

Shanks
January 1st, 2021, 22:35
So I have searched and searched for answers and I am completely out of ideas.

To give you context, I have two nearly identical PCs that I use for FG (and other games.)

Fantasy grounds was working flawlessly on both up until a month or two ago?

It seemed to be a port forwarding issue, so on the first pc, I deleted and redid the firewall rule, and manually input a port forwarding rule in my router and everything worked no problem.

a month later I am trying to do the same on my other computer and no matter what I do, it will just not work. The server test fails every time, people cannot connect. I even saw that there are different ports recommended for steam version and standalone, tried both to no avial (adjusting the firewall rules along with it, then putting them back.)

I just don't get it, they are basically the same computer, plugged into the same router, on the same network, with very similar hardware, same operating system. why is one working and the other isn't?

If anyone can help please do, I can give you any specifications you need to help me resolve it.

damned
January 1st, 2021, 22:59
Welcome Shanks

There is no such thing as different ports on Steam or Store. It uses TCP1802 only.
Please have a look at the fantasy grounds Connections Explained thread and see the 8 questions.

There is no such thing as two identical computers. As soon as you turn them on they become different to each other. There are thousands of things changing on a computer all the time.

Providing you are doing the Port Forwarding correctly the two most likely causes are:
1. Local firewall on the second PC is not allowing FG incoming connections - test by trying to connect from PC1 to PC2 on its LAN IP
2. The Router is not applying the rule change correctly. Reboot the router and retry.

Shanks
January 1st, 2021, 23:06
Thank you for the response, I really appreciate the advice.

While I was waiting, I found out that on this computer, for whatever reason, it only works if I also create a rule in my router "virtual server" section, connecting port 1802 to 1802 private?

I don't really get it, but it worked.

Laerun
January 2nd, 2021, 00:56
So I have searched and searched for answers and I am completely out of ideas.

To give you context, I have two nearly identical PCs that I use for FG (and other games.)

Fantasy grounds was working flawlessly on both up until a month or two ago?

It seemed to be a port forwarding issue, so on the first pc, I deleted and redid the firewall rule, and manually input a port forwarding rule in my router and everything worked no problem.

a month later I am trying to do the same on my other computer and no matter what I do, it will just not work. The server test fails every time, people cannot connect. I even saw that there are different ports recommended for steam version and standalone, tried both to no avial (adjusting the firewall rules along with it, then putting them back.)

I just don't get it, they are basically the same computer, plugged into the same router, on the same network, with very similar hardware, same operating system. why is one working and the other isn't?

If anyone can help please do, I can give you any specifications you need to help me resolve it.

Perhaps both computers are trying to use or forward the same IP address?