PDA

View Full Version : Too big fight?

Caracalla
December 30th, 2020, 10:08
Hello!
I tried to set up a fight between 5 player characters and 20 npc on a 3000x3000 pixel map with LOS and masking. FG became so slow it was useless. Is this just too much for FG or am I doing something wrong?
Best!

Ardem
December 30th, 2020, 14:08
Wow 20 NPC that would take ages in Rolemaster even if it working correctly.

However the issue might be with your image size more so then the 20 NPCs, try 20 NPC on a 1024 pixel map and see if that an issue I had 12-14 NPC at a time and had no issues. I find the map size for what ever reason is the thing that slows down FG most times.

Also what are you using FGU or FGC, If it is FGU it might be due to the LOS calculations. FGC I cannot see a reason for it.

Stuart
December 30th, 2020, 15:38
I've run these sized battles with FGC - no obvious slow down and frankly, this sort of "heroic" battle would be unthinkable in a pen and paper RMC game. I was using a surface pro to run the game.

Caracalla
December 31st, 2020, 13:49
Might be everything in combination. I am trying a 2000x2000 pixel map, only one layer and 20 combatants and it works. I have not added LOS and hidden areas yet. 2000x2000 maps would be quite impossible on Roll20 but FG does this nice now.

Stuart
January 1st, 2021, 07:50
Yep - it will be the LOS and other FGU "bells and whistles" - I cannot run FGU via the Surface Pro.

spoofer
January 1st, 2021, 08:10
I have found that masking on large images really slows things down. Try without masking and with smaller maps.

JohnD
January 1st, 2021, 19:57
Seven years ago I ran a group of 8 PCs against a band of close to 20 adversaries. Back then it worked fine, but that's just my experience.

I suspect it was a combination of your map size, number of active entities in the CT, masking (and unmasking) and active LoS being continually updated any time one of the tokens moved on the map.

Caracalla
January 3rd, 2021, 15:41
Tried again with 20 npc vs 5 pc. No background image, no LOS or walls. It works but still slow and sometimes target can not lock on tookens and tookes becomes "empty". Not something I would recommend. My cpu has 32 GM RAM and 16 processors...

Majyk
January 8th, 2021, 07:00
Definitely FGU/Unity, then.
Our 5e game crashes on our GMs skookum PC, but he likes 100+ tokens and high res maps for our 7-8 PC group!
(using FGC)

Caracalla
January 8th, 2021, 12:06
Definitely FGU/Unity, then.
Our 5e game crashes on our GMs skookum PC, but he likes 100+ tokens and high res maps for our 7-8 PC group!
(using FGC)
Oh. I'm running unity as well... I had hoped that unity would be better but apparently not. Number of participants is the main issue it seems. It works to a point but then it slows down beyond reason.

Majyk
January 9th, 2021, 07:53
Yup, number of participants and even Cloud lag itself...

One instantly sees this upon just getting logged into a game, where the PC list doesn’t show an unclaimed PC for up to 3 or so minutes sometimes...