PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the new Discovery Queue for the Store

ddavison
December 30th, 2020, 01:02
This page should now show you suggestions based on your previous purchase history. You will need to be logged on to get personalized suggestions, otherwise you will just get the overall suggestions. Please let me know what you think in the comments below.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/discovery.php

Aramis Dante
December 30th, 2020, 01:17
That is FANTASTIC!! Great job so much easier to use, I can spend more money now!...My wife can kill me. Oh well. Great job much much much better than it was. Thank You.

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2020, 01:18
Ooh, that looks good. All the suggestions I got were sensible and in line with what I have in my library. Nice work.

LordEntrails
December 30th, 2020, 01:27
Nicely done.

So, logged in so getting personalized suggestion I would comment the following;

- Why show me any licenses? I have FGC-U and FGU-U so unlikely I should get any license suggestions.
- I don't have any (?) PF/3.5 or Savage Worlds items, so it's interesting that I have two such categories, maybe because I have AAW stuff for 5E?
- I like how you put the Indie suggestions first, I already know WotC's products, so don't need reminders there of what I don't have as much as I like suggestions for new stuff I don't know about.
- Surprised I didn't see a non-WotC 5E category suggestion for me. Perhaps for AAW or Frog God or other 3PP/Indies. That would be useful and tempting for me.
- There is a "Winter Sale" banner at the top of the page, but it's not a link. Wouldn't that be nice to be a link to current sale items?
- What about Ruleset suggestions? I don't think I have any purchased ones, but might be good to promote those.
- Also, since I have so many 5E purchases, what about a "Try Something New" category, could throw in things from D&D Classics, plus things totally new to me? Like totally different genres (StarFinder, Traveller, etc)

Also, does this banner mean I am or am not already logged in?

Your personal recommendations are shown below. Be sure to logon first to utilize your purchase history for the most accurate results.

ddavison
December 30th, 2020, 01:45
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about adding in a rulesets link. Category and publisher categories work now pretty easily, but I have to rethink the bit about rulesets since they span multiple categories. I could always do it as another query... I just generally like when everything fits in a nice neat loop without redundant code. It will work, I just have to refactor it a bit.

Another new feature I just added...

You can now add username=XXX to the end to see recommended items for anyone else. These will be items they won't have purchased on the fantasygrounds.com store, so it may be great way to send someone a link to shop for you.

Since LordEntrails gave lots of great feedback, I will use him as an example.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/discovery.php?username=LordEntrails

If you go to your own page, it should generate the link for you that you can share.

Kelrugem
December 30th, 2020, 01:55
Nice system :)

But I am not sure whether it works for me, I am logged in, but I seem to get only the general suggestions; when I use the LordEntrails link from above, then I get precisely the same suggestions. Then I tried Zacchaeus and other users and I always get the same suggestions :D

ddavison
December 30th, 2020, 02:09
Try it again now. I think it was a Cloudflare caching issue.

Kelrugem
December 30th, 2020, 02:16
Try it again now. I think it was a Cloudflare caching issue.

ah, now it works, thanks a lot :)

Fear Grounds
December 30th, 2020, 02:18
I really like it. Shows me a good selection of things, that I may have been thinking about picking up.

I second LordEntrails about the licenses. I have unity and classic ultimate, but was shown options to purchase the standard licenses multiple times. This could cause a bit of a problem for someone.

LordEntrails
December 30th, 2020, 03:08
You can now add username=XXX to the end to see recommended items for anyone else. These will be items they won't have purchased on the fantasygrounds.com store, so it may be great way to send someone a link to shop for you.

I assume for now someone would still have to purchase then gift items? I know others have requested a wish list feature and maybe this could be the start of that...? Or the ability to buy directly for another user from this page?

Anyway, this is good all on it's own. A few suggestions, but glad to see this as is.

Samarex
December 30th, 2020, 07:06
Nice system,
Only thing I suggest is see if it's possible not to include purchased items. Only show suggestions on items not purchased. Would make list smaller.

dragonheels
December 30th, 2020, 10:46
Nicely done and quite pertinent :)
I used to buy a lot before, I've just bought one more adventure now :)

Jiminimonka
December 30th, 2020, 12:32
Works for me!

ddavison
December 30th, 2020, 15:19
Nice system,
Only thing I suggest is see if it's possible not to include purchased items. Only show suggestions on items not purchased. Would make list smaller.

It should already filter out anything you've already purchased as long as you are logged in. If not, let me know which items are showing up for you that shouldn't and I can look into what might be happening.

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2020, 15:32
The only oddity which pops up on mine is the Unity standard license. I can see why that might happen since I originally purchased my standard Classic license on Steam, I upgraded that to Ultimate from the Store and of course then upgraded that to Ultimate Unity. Hence as far as the store is (correctly) concerned I don't own a Standard Unity license. I don't think, however, that's going to be a big problem for anyone. Actually, scratch that. Yes, it will be a big problem for someone. :)

ddavison
December 30th, 2020, 15:44
Try it now. I removed licenses from showing up in the suggestions.

Trenloe
December 30th, 2020, 16:07
"Suggestions" appears twice for the bottom two categories for me: "Top Overall Suggestions Suggestions from All Publishers" and "Top Overall Suggestions Suggestions from Indie Publishers".

Other than that minor thing, it looks good and works well.

ddavison
December 30th, 2020, 16:12
"Suggestions" appears twice for the bottom two categories for me: "Top Overall Suggestions Suggestions from All Publishers" and "Top Overall Suggestions Suggestions from Indie Publishers".

Other than that minor thing, it looks good and works well.

Doh!

Fixed. I also went ahead and added the filtering for Steam products and comps that have been added to an account. The latter should mostly affect community developers. For our internal people, I had to turn this off though because we already own everything. :D

Fear Grounds
December 30th, 2020, 16:14
This whole discovery thing is going to end up costing me a fortune. I am already finding quite a few things that I've never seen/noticed before. Great Idea.

Removing the licenses makes it much less confusing for people learning the system, thanks again.

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2020, 16:19
Try it now. I removed licenses from showing up in the suggestions.

Perfect.

ddavison
December 30th, 2020, 16:24
This whole discovery thing is going to end up costing me a fortune. I am already finding quite a few things that I've never seen/noticed before. Great Idea.

Removing the licenses makes it much less confusing for people learning the system, thanks again.

Just make sure to revisit it again after each purchase. <quietly slinks away in shame>

Laerun
December 30th, 2020, 16:33
Very nice Smiteworks team! This will help with the new customer and a current user;s website experience! Bravo!

Laerun

Samarex
December 31st, 2020, 07:56
It should already filter out anything you've already purchased as long as you are logged in. If not, let me know which items are showing up for you that shouldn't and I can look into what might be happening.

Ok when I go to my suggesten section the Top items are fine they only list a few items that I have not got. But when I select see more for IE Starfinder all my owned product also show. They do say Owned but still they show.

rob2e
December 31st, 2020, 10:53
It suggested to me Elemental Evil Player's Guide (which comes with Princess of the Apocolypse which I already own), so refinements may need to be made if not ONLY for that particular thing. Maybe it might suggest the player and monster packs too when someone already owns the PHB or MM, not sure.

Great idea tho...

Naurthoron
December 31st, 2020, 11:47
IMOH it should also know what I already own in other platforms such as Steam, DMsGuild...
If not integrated automatically, at least allow the user to define

ddavison
December 31st, 2020, 15:02
Ok when I go to my suggesten section the Top items are fine they only list a few items that I have not got. But when I select see more for IE Starfinder all my owned product also show. They do say Owned but still they show.

Yes, that is because you are on the main store page at that point. It will say Owned and link you to the order # where you bought it.

ddavison
December 31st, 2020, 15:02
IMOH it should also know what I already own in other platforms such as Steam, DMsGuild...
If not integrated automatically, at least allow the user to define

We do filter those out of the suggestions now.

ddavison
December 31st, 2020, 15:04
It suggested to me Elemental Evil Player's Guide (which comes with Princess of the Apocolypse which I already own), so refinements may need to be made if not ONLY for that particular thing. Maybe it might suggest the player and monster packs too when someone already owns the PHB or MM, not sure.

Great idea tho...

Good feedback. I don’t think we have information on which products might be part of another product like this.

Mellock
December 31st, 2020, 19:42
Will there be a way to set this to private, or by invitation only?

JonStormbringer
January 1st, 2021, 13:40
Great idea, thanks! The store, IMO, has been long overdue for some upgrades.

Just a couple of initial ideas:

1. The link you posted that shows your personalized suggestions--Would it be possible to get a link, maybe in the store dropdown (on the top menu bar) that leads to this? (Maybe it only shows up when you log in?) That way we don't have to go hunting for this post.
2. I have the Art Pack Subscription. Every item suggested from SW was an art pack item. Also, in the Top Overall Suggestions from All Publishers, 2 of the 5 suggestions were items included in the Art Pack Subscription. Is there a way to eliminate those as long as my Art Pack Subscription is active--but then they pop back up if my subscription lapses. The Art Pack Subscription is a pretty good deal and I hope it gets weighted a little higher in these results.
3. I thought I read, in another post, that SW is considering making it's own market place for extensions. Would be great to add this functionality to that as well. There are a lot of great extensions out there but locating them on the forums is sometimes difficult.

wndrngdru
January 1st, 2021, 18:50
1. The link you posted that shows your personalized suggestions--Would it be possible to get a link, maybe in the store dropdown (on the top menu bar) that leads to this? (Maybe it only shows up when you log in?) That way we don't have to go hunting for this post.

The link is already there, although currently it looks like it's part of the Winter Sale banner. There's a button that says "Show Your Personalized Suggestions". I would agree that visually separating it from the banner would be more effective. My eyes tend to ignore banner content for the most part.

ddavison
January 1st, 2021, 23:46
The link is already there, although currently it looks like it's part of the Winter Sale banner. There's a button that says "Show Your Personalized Suggestions". I would agree that visually separating it from the banner would be more effective. My eyes tend to ignore banner content for the most part.

Good suggestion. I also added it to the main Store menu. It's still over top of the banner for the moment. After the sale, I will just wedge it between the licenses and the main store section.

ddavison
January 2nd, 2021, 00:16
Great idea, thanks! The store, IMO, has been long overdue for some upgrades.

Just a couple of initial ideas:

2. I have the Art Pack Subscription. Every item suggested from SW was an art pack item. Also, in the Top Overall Suggestions from All Publishers, 2 of the 5 suggestions were items included in the Art Pack Subscription. Is there a way to eliminate those as long as my Art Pack Subscription is active--but then they pop back up if my subscription lapses. The Art Pack Subscription is a pretty good deal and I hope it gets weighted a little higher in these results.
3. I thought I read, in another post, that SW is considering making it's own market place for extensions. Would be great to add this functionality to that as well. There are a lot of great extensions out there but locating them on the forums is sometimes difficult.

Thanks.

I added a direct link to the store menu.

I will look into the art pack sub issue, since that is a special case I will need to address.