PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to import LoS to a new map?

RecklessDiem
December 29th, 2020, 22:58
I was overeager to show off the detail in the great ravenloft battlemaps i picked up and have added all of the ravenloft LoS linework to images that are way too big for my players' networks. Fortunately I have a copy of the maps in lower quality and of a size usable for FG, and I will be running the game off of those maps. However, I am not looking forward to redrawing all of those walls and doors.

Is there a way I can copy & paste linework from the high quality map to the low quality map?

Thank you,

R

LordEntrails
December 29th, 2020, 23:06
Pretty sure the answer is no, since they will be of different pixel scale. I guess you could try adding the new/low res image asset to the current map image and scaling it. Might work... Never tried. You also might be able to copy - paste - scale, but again never tried it.

Kelrugem
December 29th, 2020, 23:18
What you could try is to replace the higher res with the lower res by drag&drop to lower one into the image and then delete the higher res :) But that only works when you did not attach the LoS layer to the image layer (you can have separate layers just for the LoS) :) So, when you have the LoS on its own layer then you can simply replace it, you can then also change the scale of the LoS layer if needed :)

RecklessDiem
December 30th, 2020, 17:36
What you could try is to replace the higher res with the lower res by drag&drop to lower one into the image and then delete the higher res :) But that only works when you did not attach the LoS layer to the image layer (you can have separate layers just for the LoS) :) So, when you have the LoS on its own layer then you can simply replace it, you can then also change the scale of the LoS layer if needed :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I have added the lower quality map as an image asset onto a new layer and then deleted the high quality image layer. The new image needs to be rescaled but can be finessed to avoid major goofs.

As mentioned, this only works on the maps where I actually did the line work on a separate layer. There are a few cases where the line work needs to be redone since it was drawn directly onto the high quality image layer and is deleted with the image layer.

I won't know for sure how this work around will positively affect the network connection once my players are connected. We will find out on Saturday!

Thanks so much for your help and the other great suggestions from Lord Entrails.

Happy rolling and happy new year!

RecklessDiem

Ludd_G
December 30th, 2020, 18:22
One thing to consider is, for maps where you drew the LoS, to drop your new version of the map in it's own layer, then, just reduce it's opacity so it becomes semi-see through which then makes it easier to scale or line it up against the original map rather than the LoS, if that makes sense.

With maps that have the LoS baked in (official adventures etc.) when I wanted to replace the original with a higher resolution version, like with the maps in the Starter Set that I then re-purchased from the artist's site, I just dropped the hi-Res version in on a layer, made it semi-opaque to line/scale it up with the original, then put is opacity back to 100% whilst dropping the original map's opacity to 0% rather than deleting it, which meant it still retained the LoS on the now Hi-Res map layer.

And please can SW have a word with the people providing the map images for official products, for them to offer a higher res version now Unity is official? It really makes me sad how poor many of the maps look at the moment, and it's something that was quickly rectified in DnDBeyond when it was requested by the users, so it's not without precedence.

Cheers,

Simon

RecklessDiem
December 30th, 2020, 18:36
One thing to consider is, for maps where you drew the LoS, to drop your new version of the map in it's own layer, then, just reduce it's opacity so it becomes semi-see through which then makes it easier to scale or line it up against the original map rather than the LoS, if that makes sense.

Thanks Simon,

That's a good tip for dealing with low res maps and replacing them with higher res versions. Until I realized the implications of large file sizes (that would be shared with players and tokens added), I was going to replace all the maps in the Curse of Strahd module with high res ones I got directly from the artist.

In my case however my 19mb map image was going to paralyze the shared network once my players have joined.

Glad to know that the workaround can go both ways, though!

Cheers,

RecklessDiem

Ludd_G
December 30th, 2020, 18:46
Yeah, I should've said that it's the same process replacing lower res or higher res, but the opacity trick will stop you having to re-draw the LoS at least.

Another thing it's worth looking at is I don't use the Hi-Res maps as I get them as they'd be far too big as you've found out. But I just open them in an image editing program (I use PhotoShop but any should work) and then adjust the PPI (I usually go for 90 or 100) and resave them as JPGs at a variety of quality settings till you get a happy size/quality balance for your needs. By doing this I've managed to get really great looking maps (far better than the official ones) at under 3 megs.

Cheers,

Simon