PDA

View Full Version : Before I continue doing silly things (making books from Author)

Fezzik Buttercup
December 29th, 2020, 19:06
I did the Basic Characters book (don't have spells or psionics [yet], nor the equiptment list of all the weapon/armour 'tables'). Links for 99% of skills/adv/dis/perk/quirk/techniques with included traits and abilities (since they have to come in the package to make the links work right).

So, is there an easier way to do this?
(I converted the pdf into word, and made one column; fixed all the poor nasty pictures/inserts that screwed up formating [took the most time], then took those and cut and pasted by chapter/page reference into FG, then used the GCS and the Mod Maker to create all the links [took the least amount of time])

Is there a general parser out there that I'm just not seeing (I know the 5e parser isn't available anymore)?

Jaxilon
December 31st, 2020, 06:23
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Fezzik Buttercup
December 31st, 2020, 17:50
I thought it might sound muddled.

I'm converting my pdfs into text (word) then reformatting the text, then importing it into FG with the Author extension.

I was mostly curious if there was a faster/easier way.

I haven't seen any parsers

bayne7400
December 31st, 2020, 21:17
I have found going from PDF straight to FG is simplest. Use CTRL+J! Now when you do this some characters in the XML will be screwy but that doesn't really matter. It has to do with the encoding and only matters when you go to edit the XML.

Fezzik Buttercup
December 31st, 2020, 22:09
I have found going from PDF straight to FG is simplest. Use CTRL+J! Now when you do this some characters in the XML will be screwy but that doesn't really matter. It has to do with the encoding and only matters when you go to edit the XML.

Could you explain that a little more :) Like you're talking to a complete ludite
(I looked up some on google, but I think you might be talking about more advanced pdf readers - I just have the adobe acrobat reader DC)

bayne7400
December 31st, 2020, 23:05
So highlight the text in the pdf. Hit Ctrl+ c. Click on your story table etc hit Ctrl+v. Then hit Ctrl+a. This should highlight everything you pasted. Then hit Ctrl+j. This will remove all the extra spaces and lines. Hope this helps.

Fezzik Buttercup
January 1st, 2021, 02:01
Interesting.
Thanks. I'll try that. I'll just try to remember not to do more than a page at a time so my head doesn't explode from finding all the paragraphs starts/stops :)

ronnke
January 1st, 2021, 05:41
So highlight the text in the pdf. Hit Ctrl+ c. Click on your story table etc hit Ctrl+v. Then hit Ctrl+a. This should highlight everything you pasted. Then hit Ctrl+j. This will remove all the extra spaces and lines. Hope this helps.

Learn something new every day.

Trenloe
January 1st, 2021, 09:12
Details on the shortcut keys available within the formattedtext control in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996640055/Basic+Actions#Formatted-Text-Fields

Marquis_de_Taigeis
January 2nd, 2021, 14:32
thank you ive been looking for an easy way to remove extra lines / spaces for ages

bayne7400
January 2nd, 2021, 14:48
Learn something new every day.

I learned about resetting fog of war on tokens just yesterday from a new DM. I was like wow!