PDA

View Full Version : Module Manual Activation vs. Automatic

tintagel
December 29th, 2020, 18:22
Hey all,

I've noticed that several token modules don't require activation in FGU and just show up in the Assets. They don't appear in the Module list in the library though. When I export a module with story, npc, or item stats, it does show up in library.

What controls whether the module can be manually activated vs. automatically loaded on startup?

For example: The Monster Tokens and Torstan's Asset Packs are modules that are hidden from the module list in FGU but auto-load because they are in the modules folder. Whereas the FG Battle Maps is a module that has to be manually Activated.

Zacchaeus
December 29th, 2020, 18:30
The FG Battle maps module doesn't need to be activated - the images are in assets. Basically any images, or tokens whether in modules in the modules folder or in the vault or in your images folder(s) are accessible from assets - without needing to activate any modules.

tintagel
December 29th, 2020, 18:49
Ok that's very interesting.... So the thing that controls whether the modules show up in the Modules list for activation is the presence of actual database data? Like, registered as Images in the image library, or presence of tokens or items? I'm assuming raw asset modules don't show up because they auto-load anyways?

A follow-up question: Do all the pre-installed image asset modules take up any memory or resources? Do I need to worry about removing those unused asset modules to help performance?

Zacchaeus
December 29th, 2020, 19:06
Some modules are encrypted and are therefore in your vault folder. Other modules are not encrypted and so appear in the modules folder. There's no difference in treatment as far as images and tokens are concerned. If a module (whether in the vault or in the modules folder) has images and/or tokens then the images and tokens will show up in assets. This is true for any kind of module, whether it be an adventure, reference or module containing only images or tokens.

You don't have to worry about memory issues with Unity; it handles memory a lot more efficiently than Classic does.

tintagel
December 29th, 2020, 19:41
Thanks so much for your quick reply. You are always very helpful. :)