PDA

View Full Version : Out of Game Character Editing

MordecaiKF
December 28th, 2020, 12:25
Hi there, any help much appreciated.

I’m currently playing in two separately hosted games using a demo licence in FG Classic. However, I’d like to be able to edit my characters out of game without the need to have to ask for the host DMs to turn on their machines / servers.

Is this something a standard licence allows? And do the characters need to be imported and exported each time, or is the most up to date version of the character loaded when the game starts?

I did search but didn’t quite find the answer I was looking for! Many thanks in advance for any clarifications...

Trenloe
December 28th, 2020, 12:40
Welcome to the FG forums.

You can use the Manage Characters functionality. You won't have access to the GMs material, but you can export your PC from the campaign you joined into XML and then re-import into a Manage Characters ruleset data store. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38052-Managing-Characters-offline-not-working&p=335431&viewfull=1#post335431

MordecaiKF
December 28th, 2020, 14:00
Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the response, and the link. I think I was hoping for a more sophisticated way to manage the characters but that will do the job. Cheers!

Trenloe
December 28th, 2020, 15:37
Not sure what sophistication you're looking for. Manage Characters, for most rulesets, is pretty much the same as when connected to the GM. Just that you won't have access to their material, only what you own - which with the demo license won't be much.

MordecaiKF
December 28th, 2020, 17:00
Just in terms of the latest iteration of a character being added in to the loaded game automatically rather than manually importing and exporting each time. Thanks 🙏🏻

Trenloe
December 28th, 2020, 18:31
You have to do some manual exporting/importing as the GMs campaign is not running, so you need to store changes locally (in the Manage Charactets ruleset specific character store) which you can then easily import into the GMs campaign the next time you join a campaign using the same FG ruleset.

Like with any campaign data, you don't want to do overwrites automatically when you rejoin the campaign in case you overwrite data you don't want to change. Hence why you need to make the decision to upload an updated character.

MordecaiKF
December 28th, 2020, 18:34
Makes sense, got ya. Cheers!